Elastic vs inelastic collisions

In summary, elastic collisions conserve energy, while inelastic collisions don't. The energy loss in inelastic collisions is due to the fact that energy is required to "squash" or deform the object.
DivergentSpectrum
ok, so as i understand an elastic collision conserves energy, and an inelastic collision doesn't conserve energy.
also that the energy loss in inelastic collisions is due to the fact that energy is required to "squash" or deform the object.

ok, maybe its just the terminology(it probably is), but I am completely confused here. if i throw a rubber bouncy ball at the ground (inelastic?), it will bounce higher than i threw it, in fact ill probably lose it and never find it again. If on the other hand i throw a ball bearing(elastic?) at the ground it might ricochet a little but in general its not going to go very far.
Now I am thinking the rubber ball must be elastic, and the ball bearing is inelastic,(which is lexically correct, although maybe not scientifically) but i also read that the collisions between billiard balls is elastic.

do bouncy balls somehow violate the laws of physics to attain a higher energy after a collision? what is this sorcery?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you just drop a rubber ball onto the ground, it won't bounce higher than where you dropped it from. The reduction in height is a measure of the amount of kinetic energy converted into a different form when it bounced.

If you throw the ball downwards, you are giving it the same downward speed as if you had dropped it from a higher point, and it bounces to (nearly) the same height you would have dropped it from.

Bouncing something on the ground also depends on the "elasticity" of the ground. Suppose you drop a rubber ball and a steel ball with the same mass, both from the same height. They hit the ground at the same speed, so the amount of "impulse" (change in momentum) in the two impacts is the same. But impulse = force x time, and the squashy rubber ball is in contact with the ground for a much longer time than the steel ball. So the average force on the ground is smaller for the rubber ball, and that is less likely to "waste" energy by making a permanent dent in the ground, or whatever.

If you bounce a steel ball on another steel ball, you find they are almost perfectly elastic. You can see that if you play with a "Newton's cradle" - or find a video on Youtube. The only "special" things about the Newton's cradle are first that all the balls have the same mass, and second it is designed so they bounce "accurately" off each other moving in a controlled direction.

In everyday use, the word "elastic" is used to mean "stretchy". Forget that usage, in physics.

A quartz marble is almost perfectly elastic, in a collision. But not very stretchy, is it!

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are collisions in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In contrast, inelastic collisions are collisions in which some of the kinetic energy is lost, usually due to the deformation of the objects involved or the conversion of kinetic energy into other forms of energy.

How can you determine whether a collision is elastic or inelastic?

The coefficient of restitution, denoted by the symbol "e", is a measure of how much kinetic energy is conserved in a collision. If the value of e is equal to 1, the collision is elastic. If the value of e is less than 1, the collision is inelastic.

What factors influence whether a collision is elastic or inelastic?

The elasticity of a collision depends on the materials and structures of the objects involved, as well as the relative velocities and angles of the objects at the time of impact. Generally, more elastic materials and lower impact speeds result in a more elastic collision.

Why are elastic collisions considered to be more "ideal" than inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are considered to be more "ideal" because they follow the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted into other forms. In contrast, inelastic collisions involve a loss of kinetic energy, making them less efficient and less predictable.

What are some real-life examples of elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions can be observed in billiards, where the balls bounce off each other without any loss of energy. Inelastic collisions are commonly seen in car accidents, where the deformation of the vehicles and the transfer of kinetic energy into other forms result in a loss of energy.