Elasticity affects the Oscillating period of an item?

In summary, the factors that affect the oscillating period of a metallic beam include its elasticity and stiffness. Young's Modulus and Hooke's Law can be used to mathematically describe these properties. The type of support provided and the initial deflection also play a role in the oscillation. The beam's behavior is comparable to a mass on a spring, but with distributed properties rather than discrete ones.
Mulz
Let's say I have a metallic beam that is held so that it is parallel to the ground (0 degrees). What are the factors that affect the oscillating period of this metallic beam? I release it from a specific height so that isn't a factor.

Elasticity - won't a highly elastic metallic beam have a lower oscillating period because it moves a greater distance than a stiff one?

Is this an actual factor or what? If so, how can I mathematically describe this physics phenomenon?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you dropping the beam or simply giving it an initial deflection?

If it is just initially deflected, what sort of supports are provided?

If it simply dropped, why would you expect it to oscillate?

When you say, "elasticity" are you referring to the Young's Modulus value, or to the yield point value?

We need a more complete statement of your system to give you any meaningful answers.

Dr.D said:
Are you dropping the beam or simply giving it an initial deflection?

If it is just initially deflected, what sort of supports are provided?

If it simply dropped, why would you expect it to oscillate?

When you say, "elasticity" are you referring to the Young's Modulus value, or to the yield point value?

We need a more complete statement of your system to give you any meaningful answers.

I'm dropping it from a height, I'm referring to Young's Modulus but I'm not very sure, I don't know what formula is used to describe how this metallic bar is acting when you drag it up to the heigh of 5 cm (the bar is then bent point upwards) and then dropping it. I'm supposed to find the factors that affect the Period of this bar, that is how fast it is at returning to the point I released it. I don't know the factors, so I'm trying to apply Hookes law and probably even Young's Modulus to find the factors affecting the speed in which the metallic beam is moving. So far I have found that low elasticity makes it move faster.

It is simply held on to something tightly

I'm going to upload a drawn image.

Attachments

• test2222.png
    test2222.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 452
Young's modulus would apply when you're changing the length of the metal bar but that's not what you're doing here. There is a bending modulus of materials but "stiffness" or "elasticity" is probably sufficiently precise.

Gigaz said:
Young's modulus would apply when you're changing the length of the metal bar but that's not what you're doing here. There is a bending modulus of materials but "stiffness" or "elasticity" is probably sufficiently precise.
So I can't apply Young's Modulus then, makes sense. How should I do it then? Can I maybe apply Hooke's law applied to elastic material? Or Shear modulus?

Not sure which.

Hooke's law certainly applies, with some constant which you could easily determine experimentally. I'm not an expert on material deformation, but typically materials have a dozen or so different elasticity constants and it's a tricky question how to best describe bending from those.

From you r picture I could conclude you need to know about oscillations of a clamped beam. Am I correct in this assumption ?
[edit 5 oct 22:15] completed the link

Last edited:
There isn't a huge difference between a vibrating beam and a vibrating mass on a spring. In both cases the stiffness of the beam/spring effects the frequency of oscillation. In the case of a spring the stiffness is the spring constant k...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/shm2.html

CWatters said:
There isn't a huge difference between a vibrating beam and a vibrating mass on a spring. In both cases the stiffness of the beam/spring effects the frequency of oscillation. In the case of a spring the stiffness is the spring constant k...

I suppose we could talk about what constitutes a "huge difference," but there are definite differences. For the concentrated mass on a spring, both the mass and the compliance are discrete. For a vibrating beam, neither are discrete but in fact both are distributed. In my book, that is a real difference.

Likes CWatters

1. How does elasticity affect the oscillating period of an item?

Elasticity refers to an object's ability to return to its original shape after being stretched or compressed. This property plays a significant role in determining the oscillating period of an item. The more elastic the material, the faster it can return to its original shape, resulting in a shorter oscillating period.

2. Can the shape of an object affect its oscillating period?

Yes, the shape of an object can affect its oscillating period. Objects with a larger surface area and irregular shapes tend to have a longer oscillating period compared to objects with smaller surface areas and simpler shapes. This is because it takes more time for the energy to travel through the object and complete one oscillation.

3. How does the material of an item influence its oscillating period?

The material of an item has a significant impact on its oscillating period. Different materials have different levels of elasticity and density, which determine how quickly the object can return to its original shape and how much energy it can store. Objects with higher elasticity and lower density tend to have shorter oscillating periods.

4. Is there a relationship between an object's mass and its oscillating period?

Yes, there is a relationship between an object's mass and its oscillating period. Heavier objects tend to have longer oscillating periods compared to lighter objects. This is because it takes more energy to move a heavier object, resulting in a longer oscillating period.

5. Can external factors affect an object's oscillating period?

Yes, external factors such as air resistance and friction can affect an object's oscillating period. These factors can absorb or dissipate the energy of the object, resulting in a longer oscillating period. Objects in a vacuum will have a shorter oscillating period compared to objects in a medium with air resistance and friction.