Elasticity (Yield Strength) of Carbon Nanotubes

In summary, the conversation is about finding the yield strength and stretch limit of carbon nanotubes for a space elevator simulator. The individual is looking for information on the material's mechanical properties, specifically the beginning of elastic behavior and how much force can be applied before plastic deformation occurs. The conversation references a Wikipedia article and the individual mentions that the article does mention plastic deformation.
darkdave3000
I'm trying to find the Yield strength, that is how much force can be applied to carbon nanotubes so that they stretch to the limit before plastic deformation. And also how much they stretch at this limit.

Do they stretch at all? Or are they always the same length until the Ultimate Tensile Strength is reached and then they deform plasticly?

I'm doing this for my space elevator simulator. I'm trying to simulate the material in real time.

David

Physics news on Phys.org
What I need is yield strength, I already have Ultimate Tensile Strength which is the beginning of plastic deformation. I don't need to know any more about plastic deformation, what I need to know is the beginning of elastic behaviour. That is how much force can I apply to stretch it and how much it will stretch(distance).

anorlunda said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_properties_of_carbon_nanotubes

I would start there with the wiki article and the references at the bottom.

A quick scan of that wiki article shows that it does mention plastic deformation.

1. What is the definition of yield strength?

Yield strength is the amount of stress that a material can withstand before it begins to deform permanently. In other words, it is the maximum stress that a material can handle without breaking or undergoing significant plastic deformation.

2. How is the yield strength of carbon nanotubes measured?

The yield strength of carbon nanotubes is typically measured using a technique called nanoindentation. This involves pressing a small probe into the surface of the nanotube and measuring the force required to cause a permanent indentation. The yield strength is then calculated based on the dimensions of the indentation and the properties of the nanotube.

3. What factors affect the yield strength of carbon nanotubes?

The yield strength of carbon nanotubes can be influenced by a variety of factors, including their diameter, length, chirality (structure), and defects. In addition, the method of synthesis and post-processing treatments can also impact the yield strength of carbon nanotubes.

4. How does the yield strength of carbon nanotubes compare to other materials?

Carbon nanotubes have an exceptionally high yield strength compared to other materials. In fact, they have been found to have the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any known material. This is due to their unique structure and strong covalent bonds between carbon atoms.

5. Can the yield strength of carbon nanotubes be improved?

Yes, researchers are constantly working to improve the yield strength of carbon nanotubes through various methods such as modifying their structure, incorporating other materials, and developing new synthesis techniques. Additionally, the use of composites and nanocomposites can also enhance the overall strength and performance of carbon nanotubes.