Election Outcome Hinges on Vote Ratios: Can You Solve It?

In summary, the ratio of voters for the Purple Party to the Pink Party was 15:16, with the Pink Party winning the election. If 300 more people voted for the Purple Party and 200 fewer people voted for the Pink Party, the ratio would have been 11:10 and the Purple Party would have won the election. To determine the total number of votes originally cast, the equation A = (15/16)B can be used, where A represents the number of votes for the Purple Party and B represents the number of votes for the Pink Party.
Ilikebugs
In a recent election, the ratio of the number of voters for the Purple Party to the
number of voters for the Pink Party was 15:16 and the Pink Party won the
election. Had 300 more people voted for the Purple Party and 200 fewer people
voted for the Pink Party, the ratio would have been 11:10 and the Purple Party
would have won the election.
Determine the total number of votes originally cast.If A=purple and B=pink, I got A*(15/16)=B and (A+300)*(10/11)=B-200, but when I went through I didn't get the right answer.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ilikebugs said:
In a recent election, the ratio of the number of voters for the Purple Party to the
number of voters for the Pink Party was 15:16 and the Pink Party won the
election. Had 300 more people voted for the Purple Party and 200 fewer people
voted for the Pink Party, the ratio would have been 11:10 and the Purple Party
would have won the election.
Determine the total number of votes originally cast.If A=purple and B=pink, I got A*(15/16)=B and (A+300)*(10/11)=B-200, but when I went through I didn't get the right answer.

Hi there. :)

Look at the part in red to start with. This kind of issue comes up a lot with word problems.

We know that the ratio of purple party to pink party is 15:16, which means that the purple party has less people. So in order to make the two parties equal we need to multiply the purple party by something greater than 1, not smaller. In other words, we need to scale up the purple party to match the pink party. So I think the first equation would be:

\(\displaystyle A = \frac{15}{16}B\)

What do you think? Do you see any other places you could tweak?

(10/11)a+(5200/11)=b

?

Last edited:

1. How can the vote ratios determine the outcome of an election?

The vote ratios play a crucial role in determining the outcome of an election because they reflect the percentage of votes each candidate received. The candidate with the highest vote ratio in a particular area or district is typically declared the winner of that region.

2. What factors can affect vote ratios in an election?

There are several factors that can affect vote ratios in an election, including campaign strategies, voter turnout, demographics, and political climate. These factors can influence the number of votes each candidate receives and ultimately impact the vote ratios.

3. How accurate are vote ratios in predicting election outcomes?

Vote ratios can be a helpful indicator of potential election outcomes, but they are not always accurate. Other factors, such as the electoral college system and swing states, can also play a significant role in determining the final outcome of an election.

4. Is there a specific method for calculating vote ratios?

The method for calculating vote ratios may vary depending on the election system in place. Generally, it involves dividing the total number of votes cast for a candidate by the total number of votes cast in the election. The resulting ratio is then expressed as a percentage.

5. How important are vote ratios in a democratic election process?

Vote ratios are a crucial component of a democratic election process as they reflect the will of the people and help determine the winners of elections. They also provide insight into the distribution of votes among different candidates and can highlight patterns or discrepancies in the voting process.