Electric field lines from a solid charged sphere.?

In summary, an electric field line is a visual representation of the direction and strength of an electric field, and is created by the presence of electric charge. All electric field lines from a charged sphere start and end on the surface of the sphere, with the density of the lines indicating the strength of the electric field. The direction of electric field lines can change depending on the distribution of electric charges.
prakharj
What would be the pattern of electric field lines 'inside' a solid charged sphere..?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think?

Well I'm not sure, may be going radially outward, with number of field lines increasing proportional to r.
I really want to attach a picture, but unfortunately I'm on my phone.

Related to Electric field lines from a solid charged sphere.?

1. What is an electric field line?

An electric field line is a visual representation of the direction and strength of an electric field. It shows the path a small positive test charge would follow if placed in the electric field.

2. How are electric field lines created by a charged sphere?

Electric field lines are created by a charged sphere due to the presence of electric charge. Positive charges will create electric field lines that point away from the sphere, while negative charges will create electric field lines that point towards the sphere.

3. Do all electric field lines from a charged sphere start and end on the surface of the sphere?

Yes, all electric field lines from a charged sphere start and end on the surface of the sphere. This is because the electric field created by a charged sphere is strongest at the surface and decreases as you move further away from the sphere.

4. How does the distance between electric field lines indicate the strength of the electric field?

The closer together the electric field lines are, the stronger the electric field is at that point. This is because the density of the electric field lines represents the strength of the electric field. The closer lines are to each other, the stronger the electric field is in that region.

5. Can the direction of electric field lines change?

Yes, the direction of electric field lines can change. Electric field lines will always point in the direction of the electric field, and the direction of the electric field can change depending on the distribution of electric charges. For a solid charged sphere, the direction of the electric field will always point away from the sphere.