Electric Potential and Ionization Energy of Bohr Hydrogen

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric potential and kinetic energy of an electron in a bound state in the Bohr Model of Hydrogen. The confusion arises when considering the ionization energy of Hydrogen, which is the minimum work needed to move the electron to infinity. The total energy of the bound electron is negative, and the ionization energy is the amount of energy required to unbind the electron. The work done to bring the electron from its bound state to infinity can be calculated using the force and distance equations.
clm222
I was studying for (first year) physics class and was playing around with the Bohr Model of Hydrogen. I tried calculating the electric potential at the Bohr radius r =5.29e-11 m, where [itex] V = \frac{e}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r} [/itex] (from the point-charge formula for electric potential) and I got 27.19 J/C, but I am confused because the ionization energy of Hydrogen is 13.6eV, and doesn't that mean that the electron must be sent through 13.6 volts of electric potential?

I tried to calculate the potential and kinetic energies of the electron, [itex] U = qV =-eV [/itex] and [itex] {F_c} = \frac{mv^2}{r} [/itex] and [itex] F = qE = \frac{qV}{r}=\frac{+eV}{r}[/itex]

Therefore [itex] \frac{mv^2}{r}=\frac{qV}{r} →\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{+eV}{2}[/itex]

[itex]K=-\frac{1}{2}U[/itex]

So then this would seem to suggest to me that the net energy of the electron is simply [itex]K+U=\frac{1}{2} U=\frac{qV}{2}=\frac{-eV}{2}[/itex]

Does this imply that the (work) ionization energy is simply [itex]W=-U=-(\frac{-eV}{2})=+e(13.6V)=+13.6eV[/itex]?

Because it makes sense to me (assuming my calculations are correct) when calculating the work that the energy of an electron would just be 13.6eV at the Bohr radius, but doesn't make sense to me when it just passed through 27.19 volts of electric potential. Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
The electron in the nucleus has some potential energy (negative) and some kinetic energy (positive). The total energy of the bound electron is E=U+K=-eV/2. The ionization energy is the minimum work needed to move the electron to infinity,where both the potential energy and the kinetic energy are zero, so E+W=0, W = -E = eV/2. The electron uses its own kinetic energy to climb out of the potential well, so less external work is needed.

clm222 said:
Because it makes sense to me (assuming my calculations are correct) when calculating the work that the energy of an electron would just be 13.6eV at the Bohr radius, but doesn't make sense to me when it just passed through 27.19 volts of electric potential. Can someone please explain this to me?

I think your confusion is due to wrong conceptual base of the situation in which the electron is -
first you must think of electron in a bound state- it means some invisible rope is pulling it and rotating it in a circular orbit of radius r
- a bound state can only exist with total energy of electron to be negative-
even if its total energy goes to zero its not bound and can move to free state outside the grip of the nucleus- so when its free the atom is ionised and has lost the electron so can be called 'ionised' having a net +ve electronic charge.

so the amount of energy required to unbound the electron will be the amount of energy required that is the 13.6 eV needed as ionisation energy.

in the above explanation if you wish to calculate the work done then you write work done dw in bringing the elctron say from r to r+dr which one can write as dw= F.dr (a scalar product) .
put in the value of F which you know and integrate the expression from r=0 to r= infinity
and i think with this you should get to the right answer -
try as this example to find out escape velocity of bodies from Earth which are bound to Earth in a similar gravitational field see whether it satisfies you.

1. What is the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom?

The Bohr model of the hydrogen atom was proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913. It is a simplified representation of the electronic structure of hydrogen, in which the electron orbits the nucleus in circular paths at specific energy levels. This model is based on the idea that electrons can only exist in certain discrete energy states, and that they emit or absorb energy as they transition between these states.

2. What is electric potential in the context of the Bohr model?

In the Bohr model, electric potential refers to the energy required to move a charged particle, such as an electron, from one energy level to another. This potential is determined by the distance between the electron and the nucleus, as well as the charge of the nucleus. The closer an electron is to the nucleus, the higher its electric potential.

3. How is ionization energy related to the Bohr model of hydrogen?

Ionization energy is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule. In the Bohr model of hydrogen, the ionization energy is the energy required to completely remove an electron from the atom, resulting in a positively charged ion. This energy is equal to the difference between the energy of the electron in its initial state and the energy of the electron in its final state after ionization.

4. How does the electric potential and ionization energy change as the distance between the electron and nucleus increases?

As the distance between the electron and nucleus increases, the electric potential decreases. This is because the attraction between the positively charged nucleus and negatively charged electron decreases as the distance between them increases. The ionization energy also decreases as the distance increases, since it becomes easier to remove the electron from the atom.

5. What are the limitations of the Bohr model in explaining the electric potential and ionization energy of hydrogen?

The Bohr model is a simplified representation of the hydrogen atom and does not take into account the wave-like nature of electrons. It also only applies to single-electron systems, such as hydrogen, and cannot accurately predict the behavior of multi-electron atoms. Additionally, the model does not consider the effects of quantum mechanics, which is necessary for a more accurate understanding of electric potential and ionization energy in atoms.