Electric Potential Drop Across A Resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electric potential, potential energy, and the electric field in a resistive circuit element. It is understood that as a charge traverses through a resistor, its potential energy decreases due to conversion to kinetic energy and collisions. This also causes the electric potential to decrease. The question is raised about what happens to the electric field in this element, as there is a relationship between electric potential and the electric field. It is explained that at normal conditions, most materials have some level of electrical resistance, causing the charge to continuously lose its power as it passes through the circuit element. This results in a weaker electric field. The electric field strength is directly proportional to the electric potential, so a lower potential will result
Bashyboy
Hello,

As a charge traverses through a resistive circuit element it will have a certain amount of potential energy before entering the circuit element; and as it passes through, it's potential energy will decrease (due to it converting to kinetic energy, and collisions)--this I iunderstand. Since there is a relationship between electric potential and potential energy, we can use it to see that electric potential decreases--this I also understand. What I am curious about is, what is happening to the electric field in this circuit element? I know that there is a relationship between electric potential and the electric field, which has scalar values of electric potential assigned to points in the field. So, what's happening to the "anatomy" of the electric field in a resistive circuit element?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually at everyday conditions a "resistive circuit element" is pretty much everything from the power station through the wires /local transformers your ac mains cables to your circuit board and so on. And that is just because that at room or normal outside temperatures metals even copper and silver and gold show a electrical resistance.Ones have bigger the others smaller but they have one.So the charge is constantly loosing it's power , but ofcourse that is minimal compared to a resistor which is specifically designed to loose it.converting it to heat.

Well to my best understanding the electric field strength is proportional to the electric potential of a charge at given point or voltage at that point.
So when current passes through a resistor it looses some of that potential hence the field should get weaker.
I think it is logical for a lower electric potential to have a lower electric field.That's why you have a large safety and no living zone around high voltage power lines, because the electromagnetic (electric) (magnetic) fields are strong.

In a dc system theoretically you should see the potential drop across the resistor measuring at parts of the resistor if it would be a wire wound open type one or so.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/efromv.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_potential

these might help

Related to Electric Potential Drop Across A Resistor

What is electric potential drop?

Electric potential drop, also known as voltage drop, is the decrease in electric potential energy that occurs when an electrical charge passes through a resistor. It is measured in volts (V).

What causes the electric potential drop across a resistor?

The electric potential drop across a resistor is caused by the resistance of the material. Resistance is a property of materials that inhibits the flow of electric current, resulting in a decrease in voltage.

How is the electric potential drop calculated?

The electric potential drop across a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the formula V=IR.

What factors affect the electric potential drop across a resistor?

The main factors that affect the electric potential drop across a resistor are the resistance of the material, the current flowing through the resistor, and the temperature of the resistor. Other factors such as the length, cross-sectional area, and type of material can also impact the voltage drop.

Why is the electric potential drop important?

The electric potential drop is an important concept in understanding and analyzing electric circuits. It helps engineers and scientists design and troubleshoot circuits, and is also essential in determining the efficiency and safety of electrical systems.