Electrical charge, current definitions

In summary: There are three types of charge: protons (positive), electrons (negative), and neutrons (neutral).Electrical charge is conserved. That is, it does not change over time.Electrical charge is measured in coulombs (C).One electron has a negative charge, and a million protons have a positive charge.neutral electric charge is also one type apart from positive and negative! is this correct?Yes, "neutral" is the term we use to describe something that has no charge.
Logical Dog
What is electrical charge?
is it a measure of the abundance of electrons within a system?

Current is defined as the amount of charge flowing between any two points in a system over a given period of time, correct?

but what is elctrical charge if possible to define it better/further. I am also confused as to how many types of charge there exist, our professer said neutral electric charge is also one type apart from positive and negative! is this correct?

I know that we don't know why there exists only negative and positive cahrges, and its hard to define what charge is but perhaps someone can explain in a better way, and is "neutral electric charge" a thing?

thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolar Demon said:
What is electrical charge?...I know that we don't know why there exists only negative and positive cahrges, and its hard to define what charge is
We made observations and did experiments to discover how the universe behaves, and we discovered is that there is something that is conserved, that comes in two flavors (which we arbitrarily label positive and negative), that like repels and unlike attracts, and that causes a force that obeys Coulomb's law. Now we need a name for that thing, and for historical reasons the name is "electrical charge".

is "neutral electric charge" a thing?
If something is attracted to a negatively charged surface we say that it has a positive charge, and if something is repelled by a negatively charged surface we say that it is has a positive negative charge. So what do we say about something that is neither attracted nor repelled by a charged surface?

We could say that its electric charge is zero, or that it has no charge, or that it is neither positive nor negative... Or we could say "neutral".

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur and Logical Dog
Bipolar Demon said:
What is electrical charge?...I know that we don't know why there exists only negative and positive cahrges, and its hard to define what charge is
We made observations and did experiments to discover how the universe behaves, and we discovered is that there is something that is conserved, that comes in two flavors (which we arbitrarily label positive and negative), that like repels and unlike attracts, and that causes a force that obeys Coulomb's law. Now we need a name for that thing, and for historical reasons the name is "electrical charge".

is "neutral electric charge" a thing?
If something is attracted to a negatively charged surface we say that it has a positive charge, and if something is repelled by a negatively charged surface we say that it is has a positive charge. So what do we say about something that is neither attracted nor repelled by a charged surface?

We could say that its electric charge is zero, or that it has no charge, or that it is neither positive nor negative... Or we could say "neutral".

Likes sophiecentaur and Logical Dog
I think I liked it more the second time around. :wink:

Likes nsaspook, fresh_42 and Logical Dog
sophiecentaur said:
I think I liked it more the second time around. :wink:
its alright, anyone taking their time out to help me gets my likes...no matter how many replicated posts :P
Nugatory said:
and if something is repelled by a negatively charged surface we say that it is has a positive charge.
I also think Mr Nugatory means if something is repelled by a positively charged surface it is positively charged!

Bipolar Demon said:
I also think Mr Nugatory means if something is attracted to a positively charged surface it is negatively charged
Yes. That is the convention we have decided upon - toss of a coin which way round it turned out.

Bipolar Demon said:
I also think Mr Nugatory means if something is repelled by a positively charged surface it is positively charged!

I've left the duplicate post up because everyone seems to be having so much fun with it... And yes, of course I meant negative repels negative, positve repels positive, and negative and positive attract one another... A hazard of typing too fast...

Likes Logical Dog
Are you positive about that?

Likes Nugatory
Bipolar Demon said:
What is electrical charge? Is it a measure of the abundance of electrons within a system?
Surplus/deficit of electrons is also an acceptable working picture.
Bipolar Demon said:
Current is defined as the amount of charge flowing between any two points in a system over a given period of time, correct?
The generic definition is charge in motion. In the particular sense, current is the amount of charge moving past a point divided by time (I=Q/t).

Likes Logical Dog

1. What is electrical charge?

Electrical charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electricity an object possesses. It can be either positive or negative and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

2. How is electrical charge created?

Electrical charge is created when the balance between positive and negative charges in an object is disturbed. This can occur through friction, contact with another charged object, or through chemical reactions.

3. What is current and how is it related to electrical charge?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor or circuit. It is measured in units of Amperes (A) and is directly proportional to the rate at which electric charge flows through a given area.

4. What is the difference between direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC)?

Direct current (DC) is the flow of electric charge in one direction, while alternating current (AC) is the flow of electric charge that periodically reverses direction. Most electronic devices use DC, while AC is commonly used for power transmission.

5. How are electrical charge and current related to voltage?

Voltage is the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit and is measured in units of Volts (V). It is directly proportional to both the amount of electric charge and the rate at which it flows, meaning that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current.