Electrical Engineering BS to Physics PhD

In summary: I think it all depends on the school and what they are looking for. If you want to go into academia, you might be better off going to a PhD school. But it's all up to you.In summary, Jason is an EE student who is considering going to grad school in Physics. He has a 3.55 GPA and is interested in experimental condensed matter physics. He lists the University of South Carolina, The University of Cincinnati, The University of Kentucky, and the Fisk-Vanderbilt masters to PhD bridge program as some of his possible options.
aspire5
Hello all, I'm an EE student who is curious about the possibilities of going to grad school in Physics. When I first started college I was a Math and Physics double major. However, I was pressured by peers and family to go into Engineering because of job prospects. Even though I've been content and somewhat enjoy my studies, I've always regretted my decision. My biggest fear is is getting older and realizing I gave up on my passions (and being forced to ask myself, what if?). I'll post some of my background information below.

Junior Electrical Engineering major (Physical Phenomena focus)
I go to a public school in the south that is known for having a strong engineering program.
3.55 GPA. I plan on bringing this up to somewhere 3.6-3.7ish
Graduation date: May 2016
Physics courses taken: Calculus based physics I, Calculus based physics II, Modern Physics.
Related physics courses taken in EE department: Electromagnetic Fields I, Physical Electronics (semiconductor physics) and Optoelectronic Engineering.
Courses that I plan on taking before graduation: Electromagnetic Fields II and Electromagnetic Fields Simulation lab.
Experience: One government research based internship (Navy) and one defense contractor internship (Raytheon). Both in Electronics design.
No research :(

I guess what I'm asking is, what would be some decent programs that would accept someone like me (if any) with my background. If it helps, I'm interested in experimental condensed matter physics (though this is subject to change). I'd also like to find a program that doesn't rely heavy on the PGRE. Some of the schools I'm looking at are The University of Kentucky, The University of Cincinnati, The University of South Carolina, and the Fisk-Vanderbilt masters to PhD bridge program. Thanks for taking the time to read this. All input is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jason, thanks for the reply! I've actually read that thread before. I was just curious if anyone knew of any schools I would have a decent chance applying to (mainly the information from my last paragraph). I should of probably worded my question better and shorter.

Maybe trying to go straight to PhD would be a bad idea since my undergrad isn't in Physics. Should I try to get into a Masters program to test the waters?

Get yourself a copy of some magazines like Physics Today and various others. Ask at your university library for suggestions. Get the edition that shows "recent graduates" and where they got jobs. Pick some schools that put grads in jobs you might like to have, whether it's academia, industry, or whatever. Possibly you can google up some recent grads at some universities.

Google up the schools you might like to go to. Contact the profs you might like to do grad work with. Contact the school's admissions group. Ask them what prep you need for the program you want. Be sure to ask them explicitly about your major, classes you might need to pick up, grade levels, etc. Find out what it will cost. Maybe you will change your mind.

If a prof won't answer such questions, when asked pleasantly, you probably don't want to work for him anyway. He's either too busy or too unhelpful.

There are many possibilities. It may be that some schools ignore you unless you bring your own support, or some of it. You may need to come with a scholarship or govt support or something. You might need to pick up a couple courses in some area you missed out on. Some math or physics background or something. Some schools may be really picky about coming from a physics undergrad course. Some may put a lot of weight on a recommendation by your current profs.

A masters degree is not always good or bad. Some schools look on it as a "consolation prize" for people who didn't get a PhD. So having a masters and no PhD is sometimes worse than only a BSc.

1. What is the difference between an Electrical Engineering BS and a Physics PhD?

An Electrical Engineering BS (Bachelor of Science) degree focuses on the application of electronics and electricity in various systems, while a Physics PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) degree delves deeper into the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world. While both fields involve a strong understanding of mathematics and physics, an Electrical Engineering BS typically leads to careers in engineering and technology, while a Physics PhD can lead to careers in research, academia, and other scientific fields.

2. Can I pursue a Physics PhD with an Electrical Engineering BS degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Physics PhD with an Electrical Engineering BS degree, but it may require additional coursework or prerequisites to bridge the gap between the two fields. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in and speak with an advisor to determine if it is a feasible option for you.

3. What skills from an Electrical Engineering BS are transferable to a Physics PhD program?

Some of the skills that are transferable from an Electrical Engineering BS to a Physics PhD program include a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, and the ability to analyze and interpret data. Additionally, experience with programming and laboratory work can also be beneficial in both fields.

4. Are there any specific areas of physics that may be more suited for someone with an Electrical Engineering BS degree?

Someone with an Electrical Engineering BS degree may be particularly well-suited for areas of physics that involve electrical and electronic systems, such as electromagnetism, electronics, and quantum electronics. However, with the right coursework and preparation, individuals with this background can also excel in other areas of physics.

5. What career opportunities are available with a Physics PhD after completing an Electrical Engineering BS?

Some potential career opportunities with a Physics PhD after completing an Electrical Engineering BS include research positions in academia or industry, teaching at the university level, or working in government or private research labs. Additionally, individuals with a Physics PhD may also pursue careers in fields such as data science, engineering, or finance, utilizing their analytical and problem-solving skills in a variety of industries.