Electrical potential of a thin wire in an E field

In summary, we discussed the potential of a thin copper wire between two parallel, infinite metallic plates A and B at heights z = h and with potentials 0 and V, respectively. The wire is assumed to be located on the z-axis between z = a and z = b, with length L (L < h). The question was asked about the potential of the wire, which is constant due to its ideal conductor properties. We also considered the symmetry of the electric field and the method of images as possible solutions, but it was concluded that the exact solution is beyond elementary math.
coquelicot
Assume that an infinite metallic plate A lies in the xy-plane, and another infinite metallic plate B is parallel to A and at height z = h.
The potential of plate A is 0, and the potential of plate B is constant and equal to V.
So, there is a uniform electrostatic field E between plates A and B.
Between the plates, but without touching them, there is a very thin copper wire of length L (L < h).
It can be supposed that the wire is located on the z axis, between z = a and z = b (so b-a = L).

My question: what is the potential of the copper wire (it is known that it is constant along the wire, since the wire can be seen as an ideal conductor).

Edit: it is not true that the electric field is uniform since the copper wire modify it. I meant "the electric field is constant before the copper wire is introduced".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By symmetry we know that a charge that leaves the wire at the middle point of the wire and then moves straight away from wire does not lose or gain potential energy.

So, if we put positive test charges near the ends of the wire and at the middle of the wire, and then remove the wire, one test charge gains energy, one test charge loses energy, and the energy of the test charge at the middle stays the same.

(Any conducting material nearby would destroy the symmetry, so I hope the E-field was created by charged non-conducting plates)

Last edited:
In what way does that answer the question ?

N.B: what symmetry? (I've not said the wire is in the middle of the space between the plates).

coquelicot said:
In what way does that answer the question ?

N.B: what symmetry? (I've not said the wire is in the middle of the space between the plates).

The test charge moving away from the middle of the wire moves so that its distance to the charged non-conducting plates does not change. The motion is symmetric in that way.

And then the test charge is neither attracted or repelled by the wire, because of symmetry. I mean, moving the charge away from the wire does not require any work, so the potential of the charge does not change.

Sorry, I see no answer here, and even not the smallest hint. In fact, I see no relation of your answer with my question.

Likes PeroK
jartsa said:
And then the test charge is neither attracted or repelled by the wire, because of symmetry.
I may be misunderstanding what you're saying here...
The symmetry doesn't mean that there will be no force on a test particle moving (in the plane parallel to the plates and midway between them) away from the wire, but only that if there is a force it will be same in all directions.

coquelicot said:
Summary:: potential of a thin wire in an E-field between two plates, the wire being parallel to E.

Assume that an infinite metallic plate A lies in the xy-plane, and another infinite metallic plate B is parallel to A and at height z = h.
The potential of plate A is 0, and the potential of plate B is constant and equal to V.
So, there is a uniform electrostatic field E between plates A and B.
Between the plates, but without touching them, there is a very thin copper wire of length L (L < h).
It can be supposed that the wire is located on the z axis, between z = a and z = b (so b-a = L).

My question: what is the potential of the copper wire (it is known that it is constant along the wire, since the wire can be seen as an ideal conductor).

Edit: it is not true that the electric field is uniform since the copper wire modify it. I meant "the electric field is constant before the copper wire is introduced".

You could model the wire as a thin cylinder and try to solve Laplace's equation.

Or, maybe you could use the method of images?

PeroK said:
You could model the wire as a thin cylinder and try to solve Laplace's equation.

Or, maybe you could use the method of images?

Yes, that is why I tagged my question with "Laplace equations". But it would be nice if someone has already solved them in this particular case (I'm not sure I have sufficient background in DPE to solve them).

coquelicot said:
Sorry, I see no answer here, and even not the smallest hint. In fact, I see no relation of your answer with my question.

Sorry, I was solving a problem with non-conducting charged plates, because I didn't read the question which clearly says the plates are mede of metal.

I think the exact solution is beyond any elementary math.

We want to find the two E fields right under & above the wire ends (lines perpendicular to the plates A and B from a and b).

Say we start with the needle exactly halfway between the plates. Then the E fields will be equal and easily computed.
Now we move the needle a distance ##\delta a## away from A and toward B. We now assume unequal E fields ##E_a## and ##E_b##:

##E_a = E - \delta E_a ## and ##E_b = E + \delta E_b ##. Note that ##\delta E_a## and ##\delta E_b ## are assumed positive here. ##\delta a## can be any finite number within physical bounds.

With some algebra it can be shown that the condition

$$ \frac {\delta E_b - \delta E_a} {\delta E_b + \delta E_a} =\frac { \delta a} {a} $$

will be met. So for ##\delta a << a, \delta E_a = \delta E_b = 0 ## and the potential is easily calculated.
Unfortunately, as I said, separating ##E_a## and ##E_b## for all positions of the wire seems out of scope.

Last edited:
rude man said:
Say we start with the needle exactly halfway between the plates. Then the E fields will be equal and easily computed.
They will be equal by symmetry (and the potential will be equal to V/2 by symmetry), but I don't see how they can be easily computed.

Now we move the needle a distance ##\delta a## away from A and toward B. We now assume unequal E fields ##E_a## and ##E_b##:

##E_a = E - \delta E_a ## and ##E_b = E + \delta E_b ##. Note that ##\delta E_a## and ##\delta E_b ## are assumed positive here. ##\delta a## can be any finite number within physical bounds.

With some algebra it can be shown that the condition

$$ \frac {\delta E_b - \delta E_a} {\delta E_b + \delta E_a} =\frac { \delta a} {a} $$

will be met.
?

So for ##\delta a << a, \delta E_a = \delta E_b = 0 ## and the potential is easily calculated.
? ?

coquelicot said:
They will be equal by symmetry (and the potential will be equal to V/2 by symmetry), but I don't see how they can be easily computed.
Let the E field between the wire ends and the respective plates when the wire is centered = ##E## and let the field far from the wire = ##E_0##.

Then ## \int_0^a E dl ## + ## \int_b^h E dl ## = ## \int_0^h E_0 dl. ##
Do you see why?
Then evaluate the integrals & solve for E.
************************************************************************************

You could approximate by assuming that E goes down on one end as it goes up on the other by ## \frac {\Delta E} {E} = - \frac {\Delta a} {a}. ##

Then let
## V_{x1} = (E - ΔE)(a + Δa) ##
## V_{x2} = (E + ΔE)(a - Δa) ##
Then the error ## \Delta V_x ## in computing the wire potential $$ V_x = \frac {V_{x1} + V_{x2}} {2} $$
is ## \Delta V_x = - \Delta a \Delta E ## which is of 2nd order.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of electrical potential?

Electrical potential is the amount of work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field.

2. How is electrical potential related to a thin wire in an electric field?

In a thin wire, the electrical potential is directly proportional to the electric field strength and the distance from the wire. This means that the potential decreases as the distance from the wire increases.

3. How is the electrical potential of a thin wire affected by the direction of the electric field?

The direction of the electric field does not affect the electrical potential of a thin wire. The potential is solely determined by the strength of the electric field and the distance from the wire.

4. What is the formula for calculating the electrical potential of a thin wire in an electric field?

The formula for calculating the electrical potential of a thin wire in an electric field is V = Ed, where V is the potential, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance from the wire.

5. How can the electrical potential of a thin wire be manipulated?

The electrical potential of a thin wire can be manipulated by changing the strength of the electric field or the distance from the wire. It can also be manipulated by changing the material of the wire, as different materials have different electrical properties.