Electrical Resistance or Conductance of Carbon Dioxide

In summary: So my guess is that you would not notice much difference between CO2 and air for your laser activation experiment.In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of learning the electrical resistance of carbon dioxide in order to conduct a science experiment involving a CO2 laser. It is mentioned that pure CO2 is a perfect insulator and has an infinite resistance. The goal of the experiment is to use the back EMF current from an inductor to power the laser, but the resistance of carbon dioxide may affect the success of the experiment. However, it is pointed out that the dielectric breakdown voltage of CO2 is similar to air, so there may not be a significant difference in resistance for the experiment. The conversation also references a resource page for further information on
electric jake
I wanted to do a science experiment and it is very important that i learn the electrical resistance of carbon dioxide. From what i would guess, this may be wrong, but carbon dioxide and the atmosphere on Earth probably have a similar electric resistance due to the fact carbon dioxide already exists in our atmosphere. Also another point I would like it to be at standard room temperature and standard pressure at 14.7 psi or just a rough estimation will suffice thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what your goal is, but CO2 is not an ion. So a sample of gas of pure CO2 would be a perfect insulator. Its resistance would be infinity.

Chandra Prayaga said:
I am not sure what your goal is, but CO2 is not an ion. So a sample of gas of pure CO2 would be a perfect insulator. Its resistance would be infinity.
I thought their is no infinite resistance in the universe for example i know the atmosphere on Earth is approximately 2^16 ohms/meter is it's resistivity so i don't know

electric jake said:
I wanted to do a science experiment and it is very important that i learn the electrical resistance of carbon dioxide. From what i would guess, this may be wrong, but carbon dioxide and the atmosphere on Earth probably have a similar electric resistance due to the fact carbon dioxide already exists in our atmosphere. Also another point I would like it to be at standard room temperature and standard pressure at 14.7 psi or just a rough estimation will suffice thank you.
electric jake said:
I thought their is no infinite resistance in the universe for example i know the atmosphere on Earth is approximately 2^16 ohms/meter is it's resistivity so i don't know
Welcome to the PF.

Can you say what the experiment is? The resistivity of air or CO2 is so high that it would take very expensive equipment to measure it.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Can you say what the experiment is? The resistivity of air or CO2 is so high that it would take very expensive equipment to measure it.
i was planning on using the back EMF current produced by a inductor to power a high powered CO2 laser but i am using a relay to activate the laser and i was wondering what the resistance/resistivity of carbon dioxide because it will act like a current source and would flow through the branch with the lowest resistance so if the carbon dioxide has greater resistance than that of the air between the contact leads of the relay this experiment won't work. I didn't intend anyone to do a experiment but maybe find or reference someone who has already measured the resistance/resistivity of carbon dioxide

electric jake said:
i was planning on using the back EMF current produced by a inductor to power a high powered CO2 laser but i am using a relay to activate the laser and i was wondering what the resistance/resistivity of carbon dioxide because it will act like a current source and would flow through the branch with the lowest resistance so if the carbon dioxide has greater resistance than that of the air between the contact leads of the relay this experiment won't work. I didn't intend anyone to do a experiment but maybe find or reference someone who has already measured the resistance/resistivity of carbon dioxide
I'm no expert on lasers, but I'm pretty sure you need to ionize the gas with high voltage to get things going. So the non-ionized resistance would not seem to come into play here (but I could be wrong). You should be looking at ionization energies and the Paschen curve for ionization at different gas pressures.

This is an interesting resource page I found listed in the Wikipedia article on CO2 lasers: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasercc2.htm

electric jake said:
I think that the dielectric breakdown voltage would be more important for what you are describing. The break down voltage for CO2 is slightly less than for air, but it is pretty close.

Related to Electrical Resistance or Conductance of Carbon Dioxide

1. What is the electrical resistance of carbon dioxide?

The electrical resistance of carbon dioxide varies depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and purity. At standard temperature and pressure (STP), the resistance of carbon dioxide is approximately 1.83 x 10^14 ohms.

2. How does the electrical resistance of carbon dioxide compare to other gases?

Carbon dioxide has a higher electrical resistance compared to most gases, such as oxygen and nitrogen. This is due to its molecular structure and low ionization potential.

3. How does temperature affect the electrical resistance of carbon dioxide?

As temperature increases, the electrical resistance of carbon dioxide decreases. This is because at higher temperatures, the molecules of carbon dioxide have more kinetic energy and are able to conduct electricity more easily.

4. What is the relationship between electrical resistance and conductance of carbon dioxide?

Electrical resistance and conductance are inverse measures of each other. As the electrical resistance of carbon dioxide decreases, its conductance increases. This means that as temperature increases, the ability of carbon dioxide to conduct electricity also increases.

5. How is the electrical resistance of carbon dioxide used in practical applications?

The electrical resistance of carbon dioxide is used in various industrial and scientific processes, such as in gas sensors, electrochemical cells, and as a coolant in high-voltage equipment. It is also an important factor in understanding the electrical properties of Earth's atmosphere.