Electrochemical Cells, Cell Potentials: Using Nernst Equation

Ni^{2+}]}{[Sn^{2+}]} = 10^{1.5} = 31.6and finallyK = \frac{[Ni^{2+}]^{1}}{[Sn^{2+}]^{1}} = 31.6 In summary, the equilibrium constant for the reaction Sn2+(aq) + Ni(s)→ Sn(s) + Ni2+(aq) can be calculated using the Nernst Equation and the standard reduction potentials for Ni2+ and Sn2+. By assuming equal potentials at equilibrium, the equilibrium constant can be found to be 31.6.
Gaunt101

Homework Statement

The standard reduction potentials for Ni2+ and Sn2+ are as follows:
Ni2+ + 2e− → Ni E° = −0.23 V
Sn2+ + 2e− → Sn E° = −0.14 V

Calculate the equilibrium constant at 25°C for the reaction Sn2+(aq) + Ni(s)→ Sn(s) + Ni2+(aq)

Homework Equations

Nernst Equation
E = E0- (0.0592/n)*log10Q

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this would be a simple problem by just plugging the relevant values into the Nernst Equation, however there is no value for E. There are two reduction potential values for the half reactions which we can calculate the total reducing potential as E0 = Eanode+ Ecathode = 0.14V + (-)0.23 = -0.09

This is due to the fact that you have to reverse one of the equations to change the sign so you can account for the oxidation / reduction pair. In this case, it can be seen that Sn2+ (tin) was being reduced, so I decided to reverse the equation and make it positive.

At this point I'm unsure of how to calculate the equilibrium constant because without an E value, there is no possible way of re-arranging the equation to find a suitable value. I don't think I"m missing a condition, we're not told whether the concentrations of reactants and proudcts are standard so we can't assume that E = E0.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you very much!

Gaunt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Terribly sorry, I have worked this out. Just found the relationship between Gibbs Free and the equilibrium constant, rather than the reaction quotient.

Sorry!

THe answer is 1.1*10^3

No need to be sorry - we prefer those that try by themselves over those waiting for a spoon feeding :smile:

Note that you could easily solve this problem just assuming potentials of both half reactions are equal at equilibrium:

[tex]-0.23 + \frac {RT}{2F} ln([Ni^{2+}]) = -0.14 + \frac {RT}{2F} ln([Sn^{2+}])[/tex]

It can be easily rearranged to the form

[tex]ln(\frac{[Ni^{2+}]}{[Sn^{2+}]}) = \frac {nF(0.23-0.14)}{RT}[/tex]

or (using simplified version of the equation):

[tex]log_{10}(\frac{[Ni^{2+}]}{[Sn^{2+}]}) = \frac {2\times(0.23-0.14)}{0.059}[/tex]

1. What is an electrochemical cell?

An electrochemical cell is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy through a redox reaction. It consists of two electrodes, a cathode and an anode, which are connected by an electrolyte solution.

2. What is cell potential?

Cell potential, also known as electromotive force (EMF), is the measure of the electrical potential difference between the two electrodes in an electrochemical cell. It is a measure of the cell's ability to produce an electric current.

3. What is the Nernst equation?

The Nernst equation is a mathematical formula that relates the cell potential to the concentration of the reactants and products in an electrochemical cell. It is given by E = E° - (RT/nF)ln(Q), where E° is the standard cell potential, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, n is the number of electrons transferred, F is the Faraday constant, and Q is the reaction quotient.

4. How is the Nernst equation used in electrochemical cells?

The Nernst equation is used to calculate the cell potential at non-standard conditions. It takes into account the effect of concentration on the cell potential and allows for a more accurate prediction of the actual cell potential.

5. What factors affect the cell potential?

The cell potential is affected by the concentration of the reactants and products, temperature, pressure, and the nature of the electrodes and electrolyte. Changes in any of these factors can alter the cell potential and affect the efficiency of the electrochemical cell.