Electrodes liquid contact electromagnetic flow meter?

In summary, the person is interested in building a small, non-invasive battery powered device for measuring potable water flow rates. They have researched and found that most magnetic flow meters use invasive techniques with electrodes contacting the liquid. They are wondering if it is possible to have the electrodes sit outside the pipe and still pick up the electric field. They mention that their flow rates will be low and question if ultrasound is the only option. Another person suggests using a propeller in the stream with a magnetic sensor pickup for the best accuracy. The original poster also mentions a retrofit non-invasive flow meter that they came across on Twitter and asks for input on what technology it uses.
thomas49th
Hello,

I'm interested in building a small non-invasive battery powered device that wraps around a pressured 1/2" pipe for measuring potable water.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_flow_meter
and watching youtube videos, it seems they all use electrodes which contact the liquid (water in my case) to measure the potential difference generated, hence making this an invasive technique. I was wondering if it's possible to just have the electrodes sit outside the pipe and still pick up the electric field?

I'm going to be measured flow rates of 0.1 to 20 litres per minute. Quite low.

If not what are my realistic options? Is ultrasound the only real way to go?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both magnetic and ultrasonic flow measurements are hard for do,it yourself and commercial units are expensive.

I think that your best choice is to go invasive with a propeller in the stream and a magnetic sensor pickup.

Hi,

This thread caught my attention and join PF.

I recently came across https://twitter.com/MyFlowLabs/status/654773131693789184

Apparently it is retrofit (non-invasive). Unsure how they have achieved it, what technology they use and accuracy. It looks 3D printed? so maybe it's a doable hobby project.

Are takers on if they use ultrasonics, or something else? The form factor is small from other ultrasonic systems I've seen.

H.

1. What is an "electrodes liquid contact electromagnetic flow meter"?

An electrodes liquid contact electromagnetic flow meter is a type of flow meter used to measure the flow rate of a conductive liquid, such as water or wastewater. It works by using two electrodes placed in the liquid, and an electromagnetic field is created by a coil around the meter. The movement of the conductive liquid through the magnetic field generates an electrical signal, which is used to calculate the flow rate.

2. How accurate is an electrodes liquid contact electromagnetic flow meter?

The accuracy of an electrodes liquid contact electromagnetic flow meter can vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer. However, these types of flow meters are generally known for their high accuracy, with some models boasting accuracy rates of up to 0.5%. It is important to calibrate the meter regularly to maintain its accuracy.

3. What type of liquids can be measured with an electrodes liquid contact electromagnetic flow meter?

Electrodes liquid contact electromagnetic flow meters are designed to measure the flow of conductive liquids, such as water, acids, bases, and slurries. They are not suitable for non-conductive liquids, such as oils or gases.

4. How does an electrodes liquid contact electromagnetic flow meter compare to other types of flow meters?

Compared to other types of flow meters, such as ultrasonic or turbine flow meters, electrodes liquid contact electromagnetic flow meters have several advantages. They are not affected by changes in temperature, viscosity, or density of the liquid being measured. They also have no moving parts, making them low maintenance and less prone to wear and tear.

5. Can an electrodes liquid contact electromagnetic flow meter be used in all types of pipes?

Electrodes liquid contact electromagnetic flow meters are suitable for use in a variety of pipe materials, including metal, plastic, and concrete. However, the pipe must be conductive to allow for the measurement of the liquid flow. Non-conductive pipes, such as PVC, are not suitable for this type of flow meter.

Back