Electrohydrodynamic 'Skin' On Aerodynamic Bodies

In summary, the conversation on the Physics Forum involved a new member discussing the possibility of using EH panels to create a continuous flow of air around an object, reducing drag and improving efficiency. However, there are technical challenges such as power source and stability that would need to be addressed before this could be implemented in a high-speed transportation system like the Hyperloop. The other members of the forum encouraged the discussion and encouraged the new member to continue exploring and sharing their ideas with the scientific community.
EthanNino
Hey ya'll!

I've come to the Physics Forum when I needed help with homework, but only to observe. This is my first time posting, and I'm glad to be here!

I've got a question about, electrohydrodynamics. Recently, Elon Musk put forth his idea for the Hyperloop. For those who don't know, Hyperloop is like a pneumatic tube transport system for people, vehicles, and cargo:

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_images/hyperloop-alpha.pdf

Elon said he doesn't want to start work on it now with SpaceX and Tesla to worry about, but that he would be interested in anyone's opinions or suggestions on how to improve it. An 'open source' project for the internet.

I got an idea while reading an article about lifters, maybe it would be possible to keep air flowing around an object if you cover it in these EH panels, that alternate like the legs of a millipede, rapidly, to match the wind speed?

Here's a diagram of what I mean:
electrohydrodynamicskin-1.jpg

I was wondering, can lifters arrayed in this fashion and still work?

I'm not saying it needs to be powerful enough to shoot the capsule down the tube at record speeds, but enough so that air may flow around the capsule, mitigating drag. I guess this would apply to rockets, boats, cars, propellers, anything really.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there!

First of all, welcome to the Physics Forum! It's great to have new members and I'm glad you decided to join in on the discussions.

Regarding your question about using EH panels to keep air flowing around an object, it's definitely an interesting idea. EH panels, also known as ionocraft or lifter, use high voltage to create an ionic wind that can lift the device off the ground. In theory, it could be possible to use these panels to create a continuous flow of air around an object, reducing drag and improving efficiency. However, there are a few challenges that would need to be addressed.

One issue is the power source. EH panels require high voltage to function, and in order to cover a large object like a capsule, a significant amount of power would be needed. This could be a problem for a transportation system like the Hyperloop, where efficiency is key.

Another issue is the stability and control of the object. EH panels are known to be unstable and difficult to control, which could pose a problem for a high-speed transportation system. Additionally, the panels would need to be constantly adjusted to match the wind speed, which could be challenging in a fast-moving environment.

Overall, while it's an interesting concept, I think there are still some technical challenges that would need to be addressed before using EH panels in this way. However, I encourage you to continue exploring and discussing ideas like this – that's what science is all about! Who knows, maybe one day we'll see EH panels being used in a transportation system like the Hyperloop. Keep on thinking and questioning, and don't be afraid to share your ideas with the scientific community. Thanks for joining us!

1. What is electrohydrodynamic skin on aerodynamic bodies?

Electrohydrodynamic skin, also known as EHD skin, is a type of technology that uses an electric field to modify the flow of air over aerodynamic bodies, such as aircraft wings or cars. It involves the use of electrodes embedded in the surface of the body, which create an ionized layer of air around the body, altering its aerodynamic properties.

2. How does electrohydrodynamic skin work?

EHD skin works by creating an electric field around the aerodynamic body, which ionizes the air molecules in its vicinity. This ionized layer of air interacts with the natural air flow, altering its properties and reducing drag. The electric field can be controlled to adjust the level of ionization and achieve the desired aerodynamic effect.

3. What are the benefits of electrohydrodynamic skin?

EHD skin has several potential benefits, including reduced drag and increased fuel efficiency for vehicles. It can also improve lift and stability for aircraft, leading to better performance and maneuverability. Additionally, EHD skin can reduce noise and vibration, making for a smoother and quieter ride.

4. Are there any limitations to electrohydrodynamic skin?

While EHD skin has many potential benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. One limitation is the power required to generate the electric field, which may not make it feasible for all applications. The technology also requires precise control and calibration to achieve the desired effects, making it more complex and potentially expensive to implement.

5. What are some potential applications of electrohydrodynamic skin?

EHD skin has the potential to be used in a variety of applications, such as improving the aerodynamics of aircraft, cars, and wind turbines. It could also be used to reduce drag and increase efficiency in ships and submarines. Beyond transportation, EHD skin could have uses in industrial processes, such as improving the efficiency of fans and pumps.