Electrolysis Problem -- Half reactions and gasses produced

In summary, the solution for a) involves the half reaction 2H2O+2e- → H2 +2OH-, while the solution for b) involves the half reaction 2H2O→O2 +4H+ + 4e-. The electrolysis only considers water being reduced or oxidized and does not involve Na2SO4 being reduced or oxidized. The result at the anode would likely be SO3 gas being produced, while at the cathode, Na2SO4 is not likely to be oxidized. The ionic mobility of H+ is 36.23 10-4 cm2/(s.V) and the ionization energy of H is 1312 kJ/mol
i_love_science
Homework Statement
Water is electrolyzed by passing a current of 0.500 amps through 1.00 L of 1.00 M Na2SO4 solution for 120 minutes. One gas is collected at the anode and a different gas is collected at the cathode.
a) Write the balanced equation for the cathode half-reaction.
b) Give the formula for the gas produced at the anode.
Relevant Equations
half reactions
The solution for a) is 2H2O+2e- → H2 +2OH-, and the solution for b) is O2, because the half reaction at the anode is
2H2O→O2 +4H+ + 4e-.
I don't understand why the electrolysis does not involve Na2SO4 being reduced or oxidized, and only considers water. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
i_love_science said:
Na2SO4 being reduced or oxidized
What would be the result at anode ?
And at cathode ?

BvU said:
What would be the result at anode ?
And at cathode ?
For the cathode, SO3 gas might be produced, though I'm really not sure. I don't think Na2SO4 will be oxidized.
Do you imply that since Na2SO4 is not likely to be reduced or oxidized, and only water is reduced or oxidized?

Dissolved Na2SO4 is fully dissociated.

Ionic mobility of H+ is 36.23 10-4 cm2/(s.V) , Na+ has 5.19
Na has an ionization energy of 496 kJ/mol, H has 1312, so who wins ?

Ionic mobility of OH- is 20.64 10-4 cm2/(s.V) , SO42- has 8.29
SO42- ions are rather big and slow
(this guy, at 3'50" mentions a pecking order: halide anions, OH-, all other anions)

If I sound a bit careful, it's because I'm not entirely sure of the actual processes and the decisive properties.

@Borek ?

(numbers are from Peter Atkins: Physical Chemistry)
##\ ##

Last edited:
Imagine somehow metallic Na is produced on the electrode - what would happen?

1. What is electrolysis?

Electrolysis is a chemical process in which an electric current is passed through a substance to produce a chemical change. This process is used to separate compounds into their constituent elements or to create new compounds.

2. How does electrolysis work?

In electrolysis, an electric current is passed through an electrolyte solution or molten compound, causing the ions to move towards the electrodes. At the cathode, positively charged ions gain electrons and are reduced, while at the anode, negatively charged ions lose electrons and are oxidized. This results in the production of new substances.

3. What are half reactions?

Half reactions are the individual chemical reactions that occur at the cathode and anode during electrolysis. They show the transfer of electrons and the formation of new substances. These reactions are necessary to understand the overall process of electrolysis and the products that are produced.

4. What gases are produced during electrolysis?

The gases produced during electrolysis depend on the substance being electrolyzed. For example, when water is electrolyzed, hydrogen gas is produced at the cathode and oxygen gas is produced at the anode. Other substances may produce different gases, such as chlorine gas from sodium chloride.

5. What factors affect the products of electrolysis?

The products of electrolysis can be affected by several factors, including the type of electrolyte, the concentration of the electrolyte, the current and voltage used, and the type of electrodes. These factors can influence the rate of the reactions and the type and amount of products produced.