Electromagnetic filters (color filters)

In summary, the conversation is about searching for electromagnetic filters with narrow bandpass for the visible region of the EM spectrum. The filters need to filter a white beam into red, blue, and green with a FWHM of 1nm around each line. The person is looking for recommendations on filters and asks for one line per filter. Multiple options are suggested, including Lyot filters with multiple transmission windows. There are many options available and a simple Google search can provide more information.
abbas_majidi
Hello all
I am searching for electromagnetic filters(color filters) for visible region of EM spectrum with narrow bandpass. I want to filter the white beam with continuous spectrom (400 to 800 nm) into red,blue,green and ...with FWHM about 1 nm around each line.
Is there such EM filters?
How can i purvey such filters?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just one line per filter?
There are tons of filters, several of them should give a width of 1nm or smaller. Lyot filters look interesting. They can have multiple transmission windows, too.

Likes abbas_majidi
mfb said:
Just one line per filter?
There are tons of filters, several of them should give a width of 1nm or smaller. Lyot filters look interesting. They can have multiple transmission windows, too.
Yes. just one line per filter. I can't open your link it seems a bad title page in Wikipedia.

abbas_majidi said:
I can't open your link it seems a bad title page in Wikipedia.
no probs with the link here

OK. Link problem is fixed.
Thanks all.

Typing in '1nm bandpass optical filters' in google seemed to bring up a ton of results. I'm sure you could find everything you need.

1. What are electromagnetic filters (color filters)?

Electromagnetic filters, also known as color filters, are optical devices that selectively transmit or block specific wavelengths of light, allowing only certain colors to pass through.

2. How do electromagnetic filters work?

Electromagnetic filters work by using a combination of absorption, reflection, and transmission to selectively filter out certain wavelengths of light. This is achieved by using materials with specific optical properties, such as pigments or dyes, to block or transmit specific colors.

3. What are some common applications of electromagnetic filters?

Electromagnetic filters have a wide range of applications, including photography, lighting, colorimetry, and scientific research. They are also used in devices such as televisions, computer screens, and cameras to enhance color and image quality.

4. How are electromagnetic filters different from other types of filters?

Unlike physical filters, such as polarizers or neutral density filters, which physically block light, electromagnetic filters work by selectively transmitting or blocking specific wavelengths of light. This allows for more precise control over the colors that are filtered.

5. Can electromagnetic filters be customized for specific applications?

Yes, electromagnetic filters can be customized for specific applications by adjusting the materials used and their thickness. This allows for the creation of filters with specific transmission or absorption characteristics to meet the needs of different applications.