Electromagnetic repulsion query

In summary, to achieve a strong repulsion force between two electromagnets running on a low voltage energy source, it is important to have a large number of turns in the coil, choose good conductor and magnetic permeability materials for the coil and core, and avoid placing any additional resistances in the circuit. These electromagnets can work in both series and parallel configurations, but their capabilities will vary.
Phys_newbie
Hello,

I have been playing around, making my own electromagnets. As I am out of my depth, I am experimenting with 1.5 to 9 Volt battery packs.

I am hoping to have a setup where two electromagnets, around the size of a AA battery placed about an inch apart can noticibly repell each other a minimum of 3 inches.

After playing around with a 1.5V battery to a iron nail with approx 100 turns, I could only get a weak but noticible attraction force with no noticible repulsion force.

Anyway my questions:

-Is it possible to get a strong enough repulsion force from two electromagnet running 1.5 to 9V to significantly repell one another (i.e. 3 inches)?

-Can these 2 electromagnets run in series or parralell?

-For my understanding, does the electromagnet use up all the electricity passing through the wire? would it make a difference to the magnetic field generated if I placed a light along the circuit?

Any insight would be appreciated. And thanks in advance for your time.
Regards,
Daniel

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey, I am new here, but from my understanding of electromagnets, the polarity of the electromagnet depends on to winding of the wire in which direction it goes and which gauge it is. say you had very fine 30 gauge wire copper wire winding in a clockwise pattern the polarity would most likely be positive. but for this wire to have desired effects at the size of a AA battery there would have to be over 300 turns. the core has a great role too, an iron nail would not be a very sutable core, as it is blended with other metals and is not very pure, pure iron is hard to come by unless by special order, but has better conductive properties then a standard iron nail. when it comes to homemade electromagnets, materials are very important, copper wire works great, gold plated copper wire works betters, but for absolute performance, platinum wire is the BEST! costly but it has a higher current flow and has better cunductive properties then any other metal. but for value sakes, go for gold plated, it cheaper and more readily avalible. If you want a very strong magnet, neodynium magnets as a core can create great fields when subjected to electrical fields, but the overheat greatly. all in all, the main thing is MATERIALS, MATERIALS, MATERIALS.

the strength of the magnetic field is in proportion to the product of the amps X # of turns.

try ten times more turns
and do not put a lamp or anything to reduce current

if battery gets warm add more turns and check to see you didn't run battery down
experiment with short fat coils vs long skinny ones

Phys_newbie said:
Hello,

I have been playing around, making my own electromagnets. As I am out of my depth, I am experimenting with 1.5 to 9 Volt battery packs.

I am hoping to have a setup where two electromagnets, around the size of a AA battery placed about an inch apart can noticibly repell each other a minimum of 3 inches.

After playing around with a 1.5V battery to a iron nail with approx 100 turns, I could only get a weak but noticible attraction force with no noticible repulsion force.

Anyway my questions:

-Is it possible to get a strong enough repulsion force from two electromagnet running 1.5 to 9V to significantly repell one another (i.e. 3 inches)?

-For my understanding, does the electromagnet use up all the electricity passing through the wire? would it make a difference to the magnetic field generated if I placed a light along the circuit?

Any insight would be appreciated. And thanks in advance for your time.
Regards,
Daniel

A: yes it is posible, but due to u have a low voltage energy source you have to compensate it with a lot of turns in the coil to increase its efficiency, besides u have to choose the appropriate materials, good conductor for the coil and a good magnetic permeability material for the core, and try to make the coil area big enough too

A: they can work in both configurations, but remember their 'capability' of producing a magnetic filed vary

A: if u put a light in series with an electromagnet both will drop a fraction of the total voltage, u can see the light as an additive resistance which will oppose to the flow of current in some rate, and thus the magnetic field generated by the EM will blosson i little bit less

Last edited:

Related to Electromagnetic repulsion query

What is electromagnetic repulsion?

Electromagnetic repulsion is a fundamental force of nature between two charged particles that causes them to push away from each other. This force is a result of the interaction between the electric fields of the particles.

What causes electromagnetic repulsion?

Electromagnetic repulsion is caused by the interaction between the electric fields of charged particles. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other. This is due to the exchange of virtual photons between the particles.

How does electromagnetic repulsion affect matter?

Electromagnetic repulsion plays a crucial role in determining the structure and stability of matter. It is responsible for the repulsion between electrons in atoms, which prevents them from collapsing into the nucleus. It also determines the behavior of molecules and the strength of chemical bonds.

Can electromagnetic repulsion be overcome?

Yes, electromagnetic repulsion can be overcome by an external force that is strong enough to overcome the repulsive force between charged particles. For example, in nuclear fusion, the strong nuclear force overcomes the repulsion between positively charged nuclei to merge them together.

How is electromagnetic repulsion related to other fundamental forces?

Electromagnetic repulsion is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, weak nuclear force, and strong nuclear force. It is closely related to the other fundamental force, the electromagnetic attraction, which is responsible for the attraction between opposite charges.