Electron configuration of Fe(2+)

In summary: That is, in a multi-electron structure, the 4s orbital is in higher energy than the 3d. This is due to the fact that 3d orbital have a very high number of nodes.In summary, the electron configuration of Fe(2+) is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d6, but this may vary depending on external factors and the use of the Aufbau principle is not always reliable. The general rule of thumb is that the 4s electrons are lost first when transition metals form ions. However, the exact configuration can also depend on compound symmetry and field strength. A restricted Hartree-Fock calculation may be used to
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Electron configuration of Fe(2+)

Homework Equations

spdf configuration

The Attempt at a Solution

1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d3 4s2

But from (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1232420),
it says 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d6.
isn't electrons fill up 4s shell first, before filling up 3d shell, for more stable arrangement?
or have Cr structure of "4s1 3d5"?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a can of worms. My bet is that the exact configuration can depend on external factors - that is, whether electrons are technically on s or d may depend on the compound, its symmetry and field strength. I would go with Ygg's rule of thumb, in general ground configuration and - in many cases - exact configuration of ions is a purely academic problem.

Likes jim mcnamara
yecko said:
But from (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1232420),
it says 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d6.
If you have access to quantum chemistry package I would suggest that you try restricted Hartree-Fock calculation. Usually it predicts the correct configuration (i.e. it yields the lowest single configuration energy) as that used as general rule of thumb.

This is such a good question, and the answer is not very simple. I am thinking that this is somewhat technical enough to not be in a homework section.

Aufbau principle is not very reliable (Edit: they only work for very light atoms). Combination of electron-nuclear interaction and electron-electron interaction, sometimes cause reverse in the orbital energies.

Last edited:

What is the electron configuration of Fe(2+)?

The electron configuration of Fe(2+) is [Ar] 3d6.

How many electrons does Fe(2+) have?

Fe(2+) has 24 electrons.

Why does Fe(2+) have a 2+ charge?

Fe(2+) has a 2+ charge because it has lost two electrons from its neutral state, which has 26 electrons.

What is the significance of the [Ar] in the electron configuration of Fe(2+)?

The [Ar] indicates that Fe(2+) has the same electron configuration as the noble gas Argon, except for the two outermost 4s electrons that have been removed.

What is the relationship between the electron configuration and the properties of Fe(2+)?

The electron configuration of Fe(2+) determines its chemical and physical properties, such as its reactivity and magnetic properties. The 3d orbital, which is partially filled in Fe(2+), allows it to form strong bonds and exhibit magnetic behavior.