Electronic enclosure - Long screw holes

sengalraja
TL;DR Summary
Have long screw holes-affects assembly of enclosure
Hi,

I am designing an electronic enclosure for a medical device. For assembly reasons, the enclosure is split into two halves, with the bottom half having a depth of 200mm and the top half a depth of 50mm. I want the enclosure to be certified for IP62, hence I want the screw to be mounted from the bottom, so the screw holes are not exposed from the top. The issue I am faced is that I would have to move the screwdriver over a length of 200mm, to mount it onto the corresponding threaded insert in the top cover. There will be risks of screws falling off or getting stuck and the assembly time increase due to this step. I have ten screws to be mounted and this is going to be a major problem when we productise this. I can't seem to find any solution that will help solve the assembly issue while still keeping my other requirements intact.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Instead of screw holes, can't you put female threaded extensions inside, reaching your thin bottom cover?

2-1.jpg

Captive screws, held in the holes before the two halves are put together?

Likes Rive
What material are you making the enclosure out of?

We are making it out of polyurethane

Magnetized screwdriver.
OR​
Turn the product over before inserting the screws. This would let you drop the screws into the holes and then insert screwdriver and tighten.

(Philips head screws of course.)

If the product can used 'upside-down', consider sealing screws, these have an O-ring pre-installed under the head. (Ahh, never mind, I see IP64 is any-orientation water entry protection.)

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited: