Electroscope; conceptual charge distribution questions

In summary, the charges in an electroscope will distribute in a way that the positive charges move towards the top when a negatively charged rod is brought closer, causing the gold leaves to return to "rest." When the rod is brought even closer, the gold leaves may be repelled again due to negative charge migrating down. In the case of aluminum foil near a negatively charged pen, touching the foil with your finger will result in the negative charges moving to your finger and leaving the foil with a positive charge.
jhb1422
Hello all,

Q: If an electroscope is positively charged throughout (gold leaves are being repelled), and a very strong rod that is negatively charged, is progressively brought closer to the electroscope... How are the charges distributed?

I think that as the negatively charged rod is brought closer to the electroscope... the positive charges in the electroscope move towards the top, and the gold leaves will return to "rest."

However, if the rod is brought even closer (but not touching) to the electroscope... will the gold leaves be repelled again due to negative charge migrating down to the gold leaves?

Am I correct in my thinking on this one?

Q2: Consider a piece of aluminum foil near a negatively charged pen. While the pen is ner the foil, you touch the foil, then remove your finger. Then remove the pen.

I'm not completely sure about this one. Do the positive charges migrate towards the negative charge, and the negative migrate away... then when I touch the foil with my finger... do the negative charges move to my finger.. leaving the foil positively charged?

Thanks in advance. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct. When you touch the foil with your finger, the negative charges will move to your finger and the foil will be left with a positive charge. When the negatively charged pen is removed, the positive charges will move back to the foil.

Related to Electroscope; conceptual charge distribution questions

1. What is an electroscope and how does it work?

An electroscope is a scientific instrument used to detect and measure electric charge. It consists of a metal rod with two thin, lightweight metal leaves attached at the bottom. When a charged object is brought near the electroscope, the leaves will either repel or attract each other, indicating the presence and type of charge.

2. How is charge distributed in an electroscope?

In an electroscope, the charge is distributed evenly across the metal leaves and the metal rod. This means that the charge is evenly spread out over the surface of these objects and is not concentrated in one specific area.

3. Can an electroscope work without any charge?

No, an electroscope requires the presence of a charged object to detect and measure electric charge. Without a charged object, the leaves of the electroscope will not move and there will be no indication of electric charge.

4. How does an electroscope indicate the type of charge present?

The leaves of an electroscope will either repel or attract each other depending on the type of charge present. If the leaves repel each other, it indicates that both the charged object and the electroscope have the same type of charge. If the leaves attract each other, it indicates that the charged object and the electroscope have opposite types of charge.

5. Can an electroscope measure the amount of charge present?

An electroscope can give a qualitative measure of the amount of charge present by the degree of movement of the leaves. However, it is not an accurate quantitative measurement and cannot give an exact value of the amount of charge.