Elementary Number Theory - GCD problems and proofs

In summary, the conversation discusses three problems and their attempts to solve them. The first problem involves proving that a certain expression is composite, and the attempt involves using the given information to rewrite the expression in a form that can be proven to be composite. The second problem involves proving a statement based on the greatest common divisor (GCD) of multiple numbers, and the attempt involves considering the different possibilities for the GCD and showing that the GCD of a certain expression must be 1. The third problem also involves proving a statement based on GCD, and the attempt involves considering the properties of GCD and using them to simplify the expression in question.
Amcote
Problem 1
Suppose ab=cd, where a, b, c d [itex]\in[/itex] N. Prove that a[itex]^{2}[/itex]+b[itex]^{2}[/itex]+c[itex]^{2}[/itex]+d[itex]^{2}[/itex] is composite.

Attempt
ab=cd suggests that a=xy, b=zt, c=xz. d=yt. xyzt=xzyt.

So (xy)[itex]^{2}[/itex]+(zt)[itex]^{2}[/itex]+(xz)[itex]^{2}[/itex]+(yt)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=x[itex]^{2}[/itex](y[itex]^{2}[/itex]+z[itex]^{2}[/itex])+t[itex]^{2}[/itex](z[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex])=(x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+t[itex]^{2}[/itex])(z[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex]) Therefore this is composite.

Problem 2

Prove that

GCD(a,b)=1 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] GCD(a+b,a-b,ab)=1.

Attempt

My first attempt at this I started with (a+b,a-b,ab)=1 and wrote this as a linear combination (a+b)x+(a-b)y+(ab)z=1 which can be re written as a(x+y+bz)+b(x-y)=1 and I thought I had proved it but realized the arrow suggests a one way proof so now I am stuck at how to start with (a,b)=1... Perhaps if I take ax+by=1 and square both sides but after that I still don't know what to do. Any hints would be appreciated.

Problem 3

Prove that if a,m [itex]\in[/itex] N and a>1, then

GCD([itex]\frac{a^{m}-1}{a-1}[/itex],a-1)=GCD(a-1,m).

Attempt
I'm having a really bad day with these sorts of questions and any attempt just turns into a mess so any little suggestion or hint would be appreciated for this one as well.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Amcote said:
Problem 1
Suppose ab=cd, where a, b, c d [itex]\in[/itex] N. Prove that a[itex]^{2}[/itex]+b[itex]^{2}[/itex]+c[itex]^{2}[/itex]+d[itex]^{2}[/itex] is composite.

Attempt
ab=cd suggests that a=xy, b=zt, c=xz. d=yt. xyzt=xzyt.

So (xy)[itex]^{2}[/itex]+(zt)[itex]^{2}[/itex]+(xz)[itex]^{2}[/itex]+(yt)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=x[itex]^{2}[/itex](y[itex]^{2}[/itex]+z[itex]^{2}[/itex])+t[itex]^{2}[/itex](z[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex])=(x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+t[itex]^{2}[/itex])(z[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex]) Therefore this is composite.

Thank you
It's not clear to me how you justify the following:
" ab=cd suggests that a=xy, b=zt, c=xz. d=yt. "​
Can you explain this?

Basically because for whatever you choose x,y,z and t to be, ab=cd will always be true.

Amcote said:
Basically because for whatever you choose x,y,z and t to be, ab=cd will always be true.
That's correct, but for a proof, it's often required to justify such a statement.

I am probably missing some simple equivalences, but I can solve #2 by first considering k=GCD(a+b,a-b) in two cases and then showing that GCD(k, ab) must be 1 for both cases.

edit to add: For #3, consider ak mod (a-1)

Last edited:
Further attempt for number 2:

suppose d=gcd(a+b,a-b,ab),
therefore d|a+b, d|a-b, d|ab
and also d|(a+b+a-b)=2a and d|(a+b-[a-b])=2b
So d|gcd(2a,2b)
but since gcd(a,b)=1 --> 2*gcd(a,b)=2 --> gcd(2a,2b)=2
so from this d|2 and so d=1 or d=2
from here it is the "ab" that is bugging me and will probably show me that d must be 1. But I don't know how to finish this.

Edit to insert: You might as well define d=gcd(a+b,a-b) Nothing you have derived about it relies on the ab coefficient. Then the value you are finally looking for is gcd(d,ab). To continue, consider two cases:

if a+b is odd...
if a+b is even...

Last edited:

1. What is the GCD (Greatest Common Divisor) of two numbers?

The GCD of two numbers is the largest positive integer that divides both numbers evenly. In other words, it is the largest number that is a common factor of both numbers.

2. How do you find the GCD of two numbers?

One method is to list all the factors of both numbers and then find the largest number that appears in both lists. Another method is to use the Euclidean algorithm, which involves repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number and using the remainder as the new divisor until the remainder is 0.

3. What is the relationship between the GCD and the LCM (Least Common Multiple) of two numbers?

The GCD and LCM of two numbers are related by the following formula: GCD(a,b) * LCM(a,b) = a * b. In other words, the product of the GCD and LCM of two numbers is equal to the product of the two numbers.

4. Can the GCD of two numbers ever be greater than one of the numbers?

No, the GCD of two numbers cannot be greater than either of the numbers. This is because the GCD is a common factor of both numbers, and it must be smaller than or equal to the smaller of the two numbers.

5. What are some real-world applications of GCD?

The concept of GCD is used in many areas of mathematics and computer science, such as cryptography, data compression, and error-correcting codes. It can also be used in real-life situations, such as finding the largest piece of cloth that can be cut from a given size of fabric or determining the most efficient way to divide a group of people into equal-sized teams.