Elements of the set {6a + 2b} where a and b....

In summary: That doesn't matter. If it comes to integers, then often ##p,q,r,s,t## are used, where ##p## and ##q## are reserved for primes. But this isn't a rule, just a convention. If physics comes into play, then ##s## (path) and ##t## (time) aren't available. I had a professor who liked to use ## \mathfrak{a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,}##... for placeholders.In summary, we discussed finding all multiples of the form ##\{n=x\cdot a+y\cdot b\,|\,x,y\in \mathbb{Z}\}## where ##a
Math100
Homework Statement
Write each of the following sets by listing their elements between braces.
Relevant Equations
None.
I've boxed around my answer but I don't know if this is the right answer. I also used a substitution with c=3a+b in my work. I don't know if my work is precise or not.

Attachments

• Set.jpg
    Set.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 347
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's correct. Do you see what ##a\cdot\mathbb{Z} + b\cdot\mathbb{Z}## is in general?

fresh_42 said:
Yes, it's correct. Do you see what ##a\cdot\mathbb{Z} + b\cdot\mathbb{Z}## is in general?
It's ℤ(a+b).

Math100 said:
It's ℤ(a+b).
Where ℤ represents a set of integers {...-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3...} and I multiplied this set of integers by 2 to get the answer/result.

Math100 said:
It's ℤ(a+b).
No. You have shown that ##6\mathbb{Z}+2\mathbb{Z}=2\mathbb{Z}##.

##\mathbb{Z}(a+b)## would have been ##8\mathbb{Z}## which is less. If you gather all multiples of ##a## and add all multiples of ##b##, then you get all multiples of?

fresh_42 said:
No. You have shown that ##6\mathbb{Z}+2\mathbb{Z}=2\mathbb{Z}##.

##\mathbb{Z}(a+b)## would have been ##8\mathbb{Z}## which is less. If you gather all multiples of ##a## and add all multiples of ##b##, then you get all multiples of?
8ℤ

My question is: which numbers can you build of the form ##\{n=x\cdot a+y\cdot b\,|\,x,y\in \mathbb{Z}\}##?

You had ##a=6## and ##b=2## and found all even numbers as the solution: ##6\mathbb{Z}+2\mathbb{Z}=2\mathbb{Z}.##

If you take ##a=6## and ##b=3##, what do you get? And what for ##a=6## and ##b=5##?

Likes Math100
I get multiples of b.

Yes, but if you add multiples of ##a## and multiples of ##b##, then you can get more. See
##6\mathbb{Z}+2\mathbb{Z}=2\mathbb{Z}## - your exercise, which was correct.

If we calculate ##6\mathbb{Z}+3\mathbb{Z}## then we get all multiples of three, ##3\mathbb{Z}##, because the multiples of ##6## are already included.

But if we calculate ##6\mathbb{Z}+5\mathbb{Z}## then we have ##1\cdot 6+ (-1)\cdot 5=1## in our set. But all multiples of ##1## are all integers, so ##6\mathbb{Z}+5\mathbb{Z}=1\cdot \mathbb{Z}=\mathbb{Z}.##

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
My question is: which numbers can you build of the form ##\{n=x\cdot a+y\cdot b\,|\,x,y\in \mathbb{Z}\}##?

You had ##a=6## and ##b=2## and found all even numbers as the solution: ##6\mathbb{Z}+2\mathbb{Z}=2\mathbb{Z}.##

If you take ##a=6## and ##b=3##, what do you get? And what for ##a=6## and ##b=5##?
If I take a=6 and b=3, then I get 6ℤ+3ℤ=3ℤ where the set is {...,-9, -6, -3, 0, 3, 6, 9,...}.
If I take a=6 and b=5, then I get 6ℤ+5ℤ=5ℤ where the set is {...,-15, -10, -5, 0, 5, 10, 15,...}.

Likes fresh_42
Math100 said:
If I take a=6 and b=3, then I get 6ℤ+3ℤ=3ℤ where the set is {...,-9, -6, -3, 0, 3, 6, 9,...}.
If I take a=6 and b=5, then I get 6ℤ+5ℤ=5ℤ where the set is {...,-15, -10, -5, 0, 5, 10, 15,...}.
This wasn't completely wrong. The first line is correct. Only the second does not have enough numbers in the set.

We always get multiples of ##\mathbb{Z}##, in all cases. The question is: which multiples?

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
Yes, but if you add multiples of ##a## and multiples of ##b##, then you can get more. See
##6\mathbb{Z}+2\mathbb{Z}=2\mathbb{Z}## - your exercise, which was correct.

If we calculate ##6\mathbb{Z}+3\mathbb{Z}## then we get all multiples of three, ##3\mathbb{Z}##, because the multiples of ##6## are already included.

But if we calculate ##6\mathbb{Z}+5\mathbb{Z}## then we have ##1\cdot 6+ (-1)\cdot 5=1## in our set. But all multiples of ##1## are all integers, so ##6\mathbb{Z}+5\mathbb{Z}=1\cdot \mathbb{Z}=\mathbb{Z}.##
I didn't know that if I take a=6 and b=5, I get that result. This is similar to modulo mathematics problems.

Likes fresh_42
{5a+2b: a, b ∈ ℤ}
{c=5a+2b ∈ ℤ}
{c ∈ ℤ}
{...-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3,...}
Is the work precise? I took a=5 and b=2 for another practice problem.

Math100 said:
{5a+2b: a, b ∈ ℤ}
{c=5a+2b ∈ ℤ}
{c ∈ ℤ}
{...-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3,...}
Is the work precise? I took a=5 and b=2 for another practice problem.
Yes, that is true. It is all about which is the smallest number we can build in the set.

Likes Math100
You know, that some people use q for the substitution instead of c during the work process. I used c=5a+2b. I don't know which is the accurate/precise notation.

Math100 said:
You know, that some people use q for the substitution instead of c during the work process. I used c=5a+2b. I don't know which is the accurate/precise notation.
That doesn't matter. If it comes to integers, then often ##p,q,r,s,t## are used, where ##p## and ##q## are reserved for primes. But this isn't a rule, just a convention. If physics comes into play, then ##s## (path) and ##t## (time) aren't available. I had a professor who liked to use ## \mathfrak{a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,}## etc.

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
That doesn't matter. If it comes to integers, then often ##p,q,r,s,t## are used, where ##p## and ##q## are reserved for primes. But this isn't a rule, just a convention. If physics comes into play, then ##s## (path) and ##t## (time) aren't available. I had a professor who liked to use ## \mathfrak{a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,}## etc.
Thank you for the help!

Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Write each of the following sets by listing their elements between braces.
Relevant Equations:: None.

I've boxed around my answer but I don't know if this is the right answer. I also used a substitution with c=3a+b in my work. I don't know if my work is precise or not.
If I take your work literally, you got the right answer for the wrong reason.
When you factored out the 2 in the third line, you dropped a very important |a,b ##\in \mathbb {Z}##.
That is not the same as what you have: ##3a+b\in \mathbb {Z}## with nothing said about what values a and b can have.
With |a,b ##\in \mathbb {Z}##, suppose, you have a=0. Then you get the full set of values in the answer just by letting b take on all values in ##\mathbb {Z}##.

Likes Math100
FactChecker said:
If I take your work literally, you got the right answer for the wrong reason.
When you factored out the 2 in the third line, you dropped a very important |a,b ##\in \mathbb {Z}##.
That is not the same as what you have: ##3a+b\in \mathbb {Z}## with nothing said about what values a and b can have.
With |a,b ##\in \mathbb {Z}##, suppose, you have a=0. Then you get the full set of values in the answer just by letting b take on all values in ##\mathbb {Z}##.

Attachments

• Set.jpg
    Set.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 258
Likes FactChecker
How about this time? Is the work right?

Math100 said:
How about this time? Is the work right?
The point is: Why is ##\{3\cdot a+1\cdot b\,|\,a,b\in \mathbb{Z}\}=\{q\in \mathbb{Z}\}=\mathbb{Z}##? This was what my questions were meant for. We always have ##a\mathbb{Z}+b\mathbb{Z}=d\mathbb{Z}##. But what is ##d## in terms of ##a## and ##b##?

Hint: ##d## is not the minimum! Consider ##a=4## and ##b=6##.

fresh_42 said:
The point is: Why is ##\{3\cdot a+1\cdot b\,|\,a,b\in \mathbb{Z}\}=\{q\in \mathbb{Z}\}=\mathbb{Z}##? This was what my questions were meant for. We always have ##a\mathbb{Z}+b\mathbb{Z}=d\mathbb{Z}##. But what is ##d## in terms of ##a## and ##b##?

Hint: ##d## is not the minimum! Consider ##a=4## and ##b=6##.
Because q=3a+b.

Math100 said:
Because q=3a+b.
No. This is just a definition.

We have ##\underbrace{\{\ldots,-6,-3,0,3,6,\ldots\}}_{3a}\, +\,\underbrace{\{\ldots,-2,-1,0,1,2,\ldots\}}_{b}## so by setting ##a=0## we already have all integers via the second term, which means that all integers are included in the sum. The other direction, that the sum is included in the integers is by definition obvious.

What is ##\{4a+6b\,|\,a,b\in \mathbb{Z}\}##?

All those sets can be written as ##d\cdot \{\ldots,-2,-1,0,1,2,\ldots\}= \{\ldots,-2d,-d,0,d,2d,\ldots\}##, and ##d## is a function of ##a## and ##b\; , \;d=f(a,b)##. Which function is ##f##? ##f## is neither the maximum of ##a## and ##b## nor the minimum of ##a## and ##b##, but what is it?

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
No. This is just a definition.

We have ##\underbrace{\{\ldots,-6,-3,0,3,6,\ldots\}}_{3a}\, +\,\underbrace{\{\ldots,-2,-1,0,1,2,\ldots\}}_{b}## so by setting ##a=0## we already have all integers via the second term, which means that all integers are included in the sum. The other direction, that the sum is included in the integers is by definition obvious.

What is ##\{4a+6b\,|\,a,b\in \mathbb{Z}\}##?

All those sets can be written as ##d\cdot \{\ldots,-2,-1,0,1,2,\ldots\}= \{\ldots,-2d,-d,0,d,2d,\ldots\}##, and ##d## is a function of ##a## and ##b\; , \;d=f(a,b)##. Which function is ##f##? ##f## is neither the maximum of ##a## and ##b## nor the minimum of ##a## and ##b##, but what is it?
{4a+6b: a, b ∈ℤ}
{4a+6b \vert a, b ∈ℤ}
=2*{2a+3b \vert a, b∈ℤ}
=2*{q=2a+3b \vert a, b∈ℤ}
=2*{q∈ℤ}
={..., -6, -4, -2, 0, 2, 4, 6, ...}

Likes fresh_42
Math100 said:
{4a+6b: a, b ∈ℤ}
{4a+6b \vert a, b ∈ℤ}
=2*{2a+3b \vert a, b∈ℤ}
=2*{q=2a+3b \vert a, b∈ℤ}
=2*{q∈ℤ}
={..., -6, -4, -2, 0, 2, 4, 6, ...}
Yes, correct. ##4\mathbb{Z}+6\mathbb{Z}=2\mathbb{Z}##. And we already know that ##6\mathbb{Z}+2\mathbb{Z}=2\mathbb{Z}## and that ##3\mathbb{Z}+1\mathbb{Z}=1\mathbb{Z}##.

So we always have ##a\mathbb{Z}+b\mathbb{Z}=d\mathbb{Z}##.
Our examples showed: ##d(4,6)=2\, , \,d(3,1)=1\, , \,d(6,2)=2##.
Do you have a guess what ##d## is?

fresh_42 said:
Yes, correct. ##4\mathbb{Z}+6\mathbb{Z}=2\mathbb{Z}##. And we already know that ##6\mathbb{Z}+2\mathbb{Z}=2\mathbb{Z}## and that ##3\mathbb{Z}+1\mathbb{Z}=1\mathbb{Z}##.

So we always have ##a\mathbb{Z}+b\mathbb{Z}=d\mathbb{Z}##.
Our examples showed: ##d(4,6)=2\, , \,d(3,1)=1\, , \,d(6,2)=2##.
Do you have a guess what ##d## is?
d(a, b)
d=b modulo a

Math100 said:
d(a, b)
d=b modulo a
This would depend on what is ##a## and what is ##b##. E.g. ##6 \mod 4 = 2 ## and ##4\mod 6 = 4.##

No, it is symmetric in ##a## and ##b##. It has to do with the divisors of the pair.

fresh_42 said:
This would depend on what is ##a## and what is ##b##. E.g. ##6 \mod 4 = 2 ## and ##4\mod 6 = 4.##

No, it is symmetric in ##a## and ##b##. It has to do with the divisors of the pair.
Where d is the GCF of a and b.

Likes fresh_42
Math100 said:
Where d is the GCF of a and b.
Greatest common divisor is the usual term, I think.

If you consider the numbers which are in both sets, i.e. ##a\mathbb{Z}\cap b\mathbb{Z}=m\mathbb{Z}## then ##m## is the least common multiple.

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
Greatest common divisor is the usual term, I think.

If you consider the numbers which are in both sets, i.e. ##a\mathbb{Z}\cap b\mathbb{Z}=m\mathbb{Z}## then ##m## is the least common multiple.
Thank you for the help!

Likes fresh_42
I just want to say I would do this entirely differently. First, ##6a +2b## is an even integer. So, the set is a subset of the even integers. To show that it is all even integers, we take any even integer ##2k## and this is in our set with ##a = 0## and ##b = k##.

Is that not the obvious approach here?

PeroK said:
Is that not the obvious approach here?
This depends on whether you want to emphasize on:
$$a\mathbb{Z}+b\mathbb{Z} \subseteq d\mathbb{Z} \subseteq a\mathbb{Z}+b\mathbb{Z} \Longrightarrow a\mathbb{Z}+b\mathbb{Z} =d\mathbb{Z}$$
or on the fact that ##\mathbb{Z}## is a principle ideal domain with
$$
a\mathbb{Z}+b\mathbb{Z} =\operatorname{gcd}(a,b)\mathbb{Z} \quad\text{ and }\quad a\mathbb{Z}\cap b\mathbb{Z} =\operatorname{lcm}(a,b)\mathbb{Z}
$$

However, as always in real life, the truth originates in a completely different post. It was an example of how ##\{2x\in \mathbb{Z}\,|\,|x|\leq 5\}## could be written better than it was in an OP. @Math100 took this as a template to write equations of sets. Your approach needs a different template to make it written properly because it partly specifies the coefficients which are arbitrary at the beginning. I tried to avoid confusion and pointed out the gcd, not the equality of sets.

Last edited:

1. What are the elements of the set {6a + 2b} where a and b are integers?

The elements of this set are all the possible values that can be obtained by substituting different integer values for a and b in the expression 6a + 2b. For example, if a = 1 and b = 2, the element would be 6(1) + 2(2) = 10.

2. Can the elements of this set be negative numbers?

Yes, the elements of this set can be negative numbers. For example, if a = -1 and b = 3, the element would be 6(-1) + 2(3) = 0.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of a and b in this set?

No, there are no specific restrictions on the values of a and b in this set. However, since they are integers, they must be whole numbers and cannot be fractions or decimals.

4. How many elements are in this set?

The number of elements in this set is infinite, as there are an infinite number of possible combinations of integer values for a and b.

5. Can the elements of this set be simplified?

Yes, the elements of this set can be simplified by combining like terms. For example, 6a + 2b can be simplified to 2(3a + b).