EM Wave Amplitudes and Fictional Force Field

In summary, EM wave amplitudes refer to the strength or magnitude of an electromagnetic wave, while fictional force fields are a concept used in science fiction to describe an invisible protective barrier. Both of these concepts are related to the properties of electromagnetic waves and their ability to interact with matter. While EM wave amplitudes are based on scientific principles and can be measured and quantified, fictional force fields are purely hypothetical and used for storytelling purposes.
gibberingmouther
So, my game is coming along.

My psychic energy shielding protects against EM radiation. The energy used for shielding gets depleted based on the type of EM radiation (the wavelength) and according to the amplitude of the radiation the energy shielding is exposed to.

I can't find many numbers for EM wave amplitudes, measured in volts/m. For this, since radiation isn't usually weaponized in my game universe except for lasers, I might not provide an actual set of formulas and instead just give a table of numbers for players to extrapolate from. But if anybody has numbers for EM wave amplitudes and their corresponding effects, I would be very grateful. I Googled but couldn't find much.

I also have a question about lasers. If I made my energy shielding resistant to 450 - 500 nm light, what color would the shielding become? Would I just not be able to see light between 450 and 500 nm?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help?

https://www.rp-photonics.com/optical_intensity.html

upload_2019-3-5_9-5-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-5_9-5-9.png
    upload_2019-3-5_9-5-9.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 568
Likes gibberingmouther
gibberingmouther said:
If I made my energy shielding resistant to 450 - 500 nm light, what color would the shielding become? Would I just not be able to see light between 450 and 500 nm?

That wavelength is in the blue - cyan part of the spectrum, and presumably, if you are blocking that range the physics shield is not magical enough to discriminate against 'bad' photons - coming from a laser say - and 'good' photons coming from other sources, so the world will change color behind the shield and be lacking blue to cyan.

Now, you do note that the amplitude is taken into account so maybe a shield can discriminate against a laser. However, even with a psychic shield that can discriminate 'bad' photons from 'good' photons, a powerful enough laser is going to kill you before you have time to trigger the shield, unless you have an FTL warning (or contrived scenarios like the beam is sweeping toward you so you see the effect and can react). Lower power lasers may just blind you or burn you, but without some serious magic the psychic shield is not a particularly practical weapon against a laser.

In terms of the color of the shield, that depends on the wavelength(s) reflected by it. That could an arbitrary fixed setting - so everybody has a green shield for example - or you could play with this and base it on mood, or psychic strength, or age...or whatever you like. Maybe it is invisible unless a suitably powerful laser hits it, then it flashes blue/cyan - i.e., reflects those wavelengths you noted.

Finally, the spectrum of a 'laser' is pretty broad, and ranges between 150nm up to 11,000nm. That's ultraviolet up to far infrared, which obviously includes part of the spectrum we can't see. So if lasers are weaponized, two things occur:
  1. Without further magical conditions to constrain how lasers work in the game, killing with a UV or IR laser is pretty straightforward because your target will literally never see the beam coming in anything but an entirely contrived scenario;
  2. If you can weaponize the 'visible' spectrum, what is stopping weaponization of the rest of the EM spectrum? That seems a particularly arbitrary constraint, even knowing you're making a game.
Cheers,
Tghu

Likes gibberingmouther
Thank you berkeman and Tghu. The information you guys gave me is very helpful. I looked at some military lasers to see their wattage. I used the power use to describe how effective shielding is because I don't know how I'd find out what the actual power of the laser is (and I'm not sure how you would describe that, as it would depend on both the laser's amplitude (volts/meter) and wavelength if I understand correctly).

I probably don't need to go into detail about gamma radiation wave amplitudes and so on since gamma rays don't make good lasers, nor do radio waves and so on, but I feel better knowing there's a formula I can tinker with or include in my game manual.

1. What are EM wave amplitudes?

EM wave amplitudes refer to the strength or intensity of an electromagnetic wave. They are measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) and represent the maximum displacement of the electric and magnetic fields in the wave.

2. How are EM wave amplitudes related to fictional force fields?

EM wave amplitudes are not directly related to fictional force fields, as fictional force fields do not exist in reality. However, in science fiction and fantasy, fictional force fields are often portrayed as being generated by manipulating EM wave amplitudes to create a barrier or protective shield.

3. Can EM wave amplitudes be manipulated to create a force field in real life?

No, EM wave amplitudes cannot be manipulated in this way in real life. While it is possible to manipulate EM waves using advanced technology, it is not possible to create a force field or protective shield using only EM wave amplitudes.

4. What factors affect the amplitude of an EM wave?

The amplitude of an EM wave can be affected by several factors, including the energy source that is producing the wave, the distance from the source, and any obstacles or materials the wave may encounter as it travels.

5. Are all EM waves the same amplitude?

No, not all EM waves have the same amplitude. The amplitude of an EM wave can vary depending on the type of wave (e.g. radio waves, microwaves, visible light, etc.) and the specific conditions under which it is being produced and propagated.