EM Wave Boundary Layer Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Snell's law for the transition of electromagnetic waves from one medium to another, specifically from air to a conductive medium. The question is whether the wavelength changes instantaneously or if there is a boundary layer that is ignored. The speaker is interested in the behavior of the boundary layer in a low frequency wave with a wavelength of 3000 km transitioning to a medium that reduces the wavelength to 158 m. There is a discussion on the attenuation of the wave in a conductive medium and the potential for a near field effect at the interface.
DJungquist
I understand application of Snell's law for transition from one medium to another but I have a question regarding this model. When an electromagnetic wave transitions from air into a conductive medium does the wavelength change instantaneously as the theory seems to imply or is there a boundary layer which is ignored because at usual wavelengths the boundary transition is so small it doesn't matter?

The case I am interested in is a low frequency wave which has a wavelength of 3000 km into a medium that reduces the wavelength to 158 m. So is there a transition region? If so, can someone point me to a resource that discusses the behavior in the boundary layer as the wavelength changes.

Physics news on Phys.org
The wav length changes at the interface wilth no transition region.
If it is a conductive medium, the wave will attenuate in a finite distance.

Meir Achuz said:
The wav length changes at the interface wilth no transition region.
If it is a conductive medium, the wave will attenuate in a finite distance.

I understand the attenuation will be a function of frequency, permeability and conductivity. I was just wondering if there was something similar to a near field effect on an antenna where in the first wavelength you get some interesting physics. Given the wavelengths involved if there was a near field like effect it would be over a fairly large boundary.

1. What is an EM wave boundary layer?

The EM wave boundary layer is the region of space where electromagnetic waves are present. It is the interface between two different mediums, such as air and a solid object, where the electric and magnetic fields of the wave interact with the material properties of the medium.

2. How does the EM wave boundary layer affect signal transmission?

The EM wave boundary layer can have a significant impact on the transmission of signals. Reflection, absorption, and diffraction of the wave can occur at this boundary, causing changes in the amplitude, phase, and polarization of the signal. This can lead to interference and distortion of the transmitted signal.

3. What factors influence the thickness of the EM wave boundary layer?

The thickness of the EM wave boundary layer is dependent on the frequency of the electromagnetic wave, the properties of the two mediums at the interface, and the angle of incidence of the wave. Higher frequencies and larger angles of incidence result in thinner boundary layers, while different material properties can also affect the thickness.

4. How is the EM wave boundary layer related to the skin effect?

The skin effect is the tendency of electromagnetic waves to be confined to the surface of a conductor. This phenomenon is closely related to the EM wave boundary layer, as the boundary layer is the region where the electric and magnetic fields interact with the surface of the conductor.

5. Why is the EM wave boundary layer important in antenna design?

Antennas are designed to efficiently transmit and receive electromagnetic waves. The EM wave boundary layer plays a critical role in determining the performance of an antenna, as it affects the impedance matching, radiation pattern, and efficiency of the antenna. Understanding and controlling the boundary layer is crucial in optimizing antenna design.