Embedding L1 in the Banach space of complex Borel measures

In summary, we want to show that if f dx = d\lambda for some f \in L^1(\mathbb{R}^d) and complex Borel measure \lambda then |f| dx = d|\lambda| (i.e., f \to fdx is an isometry). We can construct a function \psi in L^1(|\lambda|) with |\psi| = 1 and \psi d\|lambda| = d\lambda. Then, using the fact that for any positive measure \mu and function g in L^1(\mu), if for every measurable set E, 0 \le \int_E g(x) d\mu
Undecided Guy
Hey, I know this is commonly a homework question, but it came up in my own studies; so this isn't a homework question for me. I hope it's alright that I put it here.

I'm trying to show that if [itex] f dx = d\lambda[/itex] for some [itex] f \in L^1(\mathbb{R}^d) [/itex] and complex Borel measure [itex]\lambda[/itex] then [itex] |f| dx = d|\lambda| [/itex] (i.e., [itex] f \to fdx [/itex] is an isometry).

What I've done so far is constructed a [itex] \psi \in L^1(\lambda) [/itex] so that [itex] \psi d\lambda = d|\lambda| [/itex] with [itex]|\psi| = 1 [/itex]. So we then have that [itex] f \psi dx = \psi d\lambda = d|\lambda| [/itex], so it looks like what I need to show is that [itex] f \psi = |f| [/itex]. I'm not really sure how to do that though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh dear, sorry, what I meant is that I have a [itex] \psi \in L^1(|\lambda|) [/itex] so that [itex] d\lambda = \psi d|\lambda|[/itex]. Sorry for the mistake.

Anyway, what I've ended up doing so far is showing one of the two ineqaulities. Fix a partition [itex]\{X_j\}_{j=1}^{\infty} [/itex] of [itex] \mathbb{R}^d[/itex].

Then [itex] \sum_{j=1}^{\infty} |\lambda(X_j)| = \sum_j |\int_{X_j} f(x) dx | \le \sum_j \int_{x_j} |f| dx = \int_{\mathbb{R}^d} |f| dx = ||f||_1 [/itex]

with the second to last equality holding from the monotone convergence theorem. Supping on all such partitions gives [itex] |\lambda| \le ||f||_1 [/itex] directly from the definition. Still at kind of a loss how to show the reverse.

For completeness, I thought I'd go ahead and update this with the solution.

First I'll need the following fact:

If [itex] \mu [/itex] is some positive measure, [itex] g \in L^1(\mu) [/itex], and for every measurable set [itex] E[/itex], [itex] 0 \le \int_E g(x) d\mu(x) [/itex], then [itex] g \ge 0 [/itex] almost everywhere (wrt [itex] \mu [/itex]).

Proof: Consider the set [itex] F = \{ g(x) \notin [0, \infty) \} [/itex]. Write [itex] F = R \cup C[/itex] for [itex] R = \{ g(x) < 0 \} [/itex] and [itex] C = \{g(x) \in \mathbb{C} - \mathbb{R} \} [/itex]. F has positive measure if and only if at least one of R or C does as well.

Suppose R has positive measure. Write [itex] R = \bigcup_j R_j [/itex] for [itex] R_j = \{ g(x) < -\frac{1}{j} \} [/itex]. Since R has positive measure, there's at least one j so that [itex]R_j [/itex] does as well. Thus [itex]\int_{R_j} g(x) d\mu \le \int_{R_j} -\frac{1}{j} d\mu = -\frac{1}{j} \mu(R_j) < 0 [/itex], which contradicts the hypothesis on g. So R must have 0 measure.

Write g = u + iv. So on C, v is never 0. So [itex] 0 \le \int_C g(x) d\mu = \int_C u d\mu + i \int_C v d\mu [/itex]. This is only possible if [itex] \int_C v d\mu = 0 [/itex]. By writing [itex] C = P \cup N [/itex] where [itex] P = \{v > 0 \} [/itex] and [itex] N = \{ v < 0 \} [/itex] and applying the same argument as above on [itex] R[/itex], we see that both P and N must have 0 measure, so C does as well.

Together this shows that F must have 0 measure. //

Onto the actual statement, we want to show that:

If [itex] \mu [/itex] is a positive measure, [itex] f \in L^1(\mu) [/itex] and [itex] \lambda [/itex] is defined by [itex] d\lambda = f d\mu [/itex], then [itex] ||\lambda|| = |f| d\mu [/itex]

Proof: Construct a function [itex] \psi \in L^1(|\lambda|) [/itex] with [itex] |\psi| = 1[/itex] and [itex] \psi d\|lambda| = d\lambda [/itex]. Now [itex] \psi \bar{\psi} = |\psi| = 1 [/itex], so

[itex] d|\lambda| = \bar{\psi} \psi d|\lambda| = \bar{\psi} d\lambda = \bar{\psi} f d\mu [/itex].

Thus given any measurable set E, we have that [itex] 0 \le |\lambda|(E) = \int_E \bar{\psi} f d\mu [/itex].

Appealing to the fact above, this implies that [itex] \bar{\psi} f \ge 0 [/itex] almost everywhere (so modifying on a set of measure 0 and changing nothing in the above argument, we may assume it's nonnegative everywhere).

Thus [itex] \bar{\psi} f = |\bar{\psi} f| = |f| [/itex], since [itex] |\bar{\psi} | = 1 [/itex]. So, [itex] d|\lambda| = \bar{\psi} f d\mu = |f| d\mu [/itex], which gives the result.

1. What is L1 and why is it important in the Banach space of complex Borel measures?

L1 refers to a class of integrable functions in measure theory. In the Banach space of complex Borel measures, L1 is important because it is a space of functions that can be integrated with respect to a complex Borel measure, which is a fundamental concept in analysis and probability theory.

2. How is the embedding of L1 in the Banach space of complex Borel measures defined?

The embedding of L1 in the Banach space of complex Borel measures is defined as a linear map from L1 to the Banach space of complex Borel measures that preserves the norm of L1. This means that the embedding map is a one-to-one and onto transformation that preserves the integral of a function in L1 with respect to a complex Borel measure.

3. What are the applications of embedding L1 in the Banach space of complex Borel measures?

The embedding of L1 in the Banach space of complex Borel measures has many applications in mathematical analysis, probability theory, and functional analysis. It is used to study the convergence of sequences of measures, the Fourier transform of measures, and the properties of singular measures.

4. What properties does the embedding of L1 in the Banach space of complex Borel measures possess?

The embedding of L1 in the Banach space of complex Borel measures has several important properties, including being a Banach space itself, being a closed subspace of the Banach space of complex Borel measures, and being isometrically isomorphic to L1. These properties make it a powerful tool in the study of complex measures.

5. Is the embedding of L1 in the Banach space of complex Borel measures unique?

No, the embedding of L1 in the Banach space of complex Borel measures is not unique. There are many different ways to define an embedding map, and different choices can lead to different properties and applications. However, all embeddings must preserve the norm of L1 and be isometrically isomorphic to L1.