Emf without load and load voltage of a generator

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where an industrial equipment with a large metal casing that was not grounded had a high voltage measured with a Fluke device. The speaker's interpretation is that the high voltage is due to leakage current through the insulation system, which becomes a safety hazard as the insulation ages. The recommended solution is to bond the metal case to ground to prevent further risk.
bachir1994
HelloLast week I was confronted with a situation where an industrial equipment, with a large equipotential mass (metal casing) that was not grounded, had a ground tension, measured with Fluke, of 382 vac. I put a 220 Vac bulb and nothing happens, the bulb remains off and is not burned out.

By measuring the voltage with the lamp as a charge it is a few millivolts. I even touch the carcass without feeling anything.

My interpretation is:

The voltage measured with the impedance of the fluke (Zfluke) >>> 20 M Ohm which is surely much higher than the internal impedance of the generator that is seen between the ground and the carcass of the equipment (E generator, Z generator), gives a high voltage (Vfluke) (voltage divider).

As soon as a 100 watt bulb is placed with an impedance close to 500 ohm (Z bulb), this impedance is considerably less than the internal impedance of the generator seen between the ground and the carcass of the equipment, which makes That the voltage at the voltage divisor point drops to the millivolt range.Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
bachir1994 said:
HelloLast week I was confronted with a situation where an industrial equipment, with a large equipotential mass (metal casing) that was not grounded, had a ground tension, measured with Fluke, of 382 vac. I put a 220 Vac bulb and nothing happens, the bulb remains off and is not burned out.

By measuring the voltage with the lamp as a charge it is a few millivolts. I even touch the carcass without feeling anything.

My interpretation is:

The voltage measured with the impedance of the fluke (Zfluke) >>> 20 M Ohm which is surely much higher than the internal impedance of the generator that is seen between the ground and the carcass of the equipment (E generator, Z generator), gives a high voltage (Vfluke) (voltage divider).

As soon as a 100 watt bulb is placed with an impedance close to 500 ohm (Z bulb), this impedance is considerably less than the internal impedance of the generator seen between the ground and the carcass of the equipment, which makes That the voltage at the voltage divisor point drops to the millivolt range.Thank you

You have the basic idea. Leakage current through the insulation system increases voltage from the electrically insulated metal case to ground, and it will approach applied line voltage. I strongly recommend adding a conductor to bond the metal case to ground. As the insulation system ages it will pass progressively more current. Once it is capable of currents of 1 ma and more it becomes a safety hazard, and not too much more leakage current can be lethal.

Related to Emf without load and load voltage of a generator

1. What is EMF without load?

EMF (Electromotive Force) without load refers to the voltage generated by a generator when there is no external load connected to it. It is also known as the "open circuit voltage" or "no-load voltage". This voltage is the maximum potential difference that can be produced by the generator.

2. Why is the EMF without load higher than the load voltage?

The EMF without load is higher than the load voltage because when there is no external load connected to the generator, there is no resistance present in the circuit. This means that all of the generated voltage is available for use, resulting in a higher voltage. However, when a load is connected, the resistance in the circuit reduces the voltage available for use, resulting in a lower load voltage.

3. How is the EMF without load measured?

The EMF without load can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected to the terminals of the generator while there is no external load connected. The reading on the voltmeter will indicate the EMF without load.

4. What is the significance of measuring EMF without load?

Measuring the EMF without load is important in determining the maximum voltage that can be produced by the generator. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the generator under different load conditions. Additionally, it can be used to calculate the internal resistance of the generator.

5. How does the EMF without load affect the efficiency of a generator?

The EMF without load does not directly affect the efficiency of a generator. However, a higher EMF without load indicates a higher potential difference and can result in a higher load voltage when a load is connected. This can lead to a more efficient operation of the generator as it can produce the required voltage with less effort.