Empirical Formula of a Hydrate

• Thread starter dlogdivad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling to come up with a reasonable hypothesis for a lab assignment involving determining the ratio of water to salt in two hydrates. The student is given information about the experiment and how it will be measured, but is having trouble formulating a hypothesis. They ask for an example of a prediction in an "if-then" format, which is different from a hypothesis.
dlogdivad

Homework Statement

I have a lab to complete, but I can't produce a reasonable hypothesis. This is the information I'm given to base my hypothesis on.

Homework Equations

In this experiment, you will empirically determine the ratio of water to salt in the hydrates copper sulfate hydrate (CuSO4*XH2O) and magnesium chloride hydrate (MgCl2*XH2O). The symbol X in the formulas represent the unknown number of water molecules.

The formula for the hydrate gives the number of water molecules in the hydrate per molecule of salt. Your experimental measurements will be converted to a molar ratio, that is, the ratio of moles of water to moles of the salt in the hydrate in order to find a value for X.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand what my goal is and how I'm going to be getting there, but I can't think of a prediction in an "if-then" format.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give examples of prediction in the "if-then" format?

Last edited by a moderator:
sure, an example would be something like:

If red and blue is mixed, then the resulting color will be purple.

I hope that was an adequate example.

This is prediction, not hypothesis.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a scientist, it is important to remember that a hypothesis is not a prediction, but rather a proposed explanation for a phenomenon based on existing knowledge and observations. In this case, your hypothesis could be something along the lines of: "If the molar ratio of water to salt in the hydrate is determined experimentally, then the value of X in the hydrate formula can be calculated." This hypothesis is based on the understanding that the molar ratio is directly related to the number of water molecules in the hydrate formula, and by determining the molar ratio, we can find the value of X. It is also important to note that a hypothesis is not a definitive statement, but rather a starting point for further investigation and experimentation. Good luck with your lab!

1. What is the empirical formula of a hydrate?

The empirical formula of a hydrate is the simplest whole number ratio of the elements present in a compound, including any water molecules that are chemically bound to the compound.

2. How is the empirical formula of a hydrate determined?

The empirical formula of a hydrate can be determined by conducting a laboratory experiment where the mass of the hydrate and the mass of the anhydrous compound are measured. From these measurements, the number of moles of each element can be calculated and used to determine the empirical formula.

3. Why is the empirical formula of a hydrate important?

The empirical formula of a hydrate is important as it provides information about the composition of a compound, specifically the ratio of elements present. This can help in determining the identity of the compound and its properties.

4. Can the empirical formula of a hydrate change?

Yes, the empirical formula of a hydrate can change depending on the conditions in which the compound is stored. For example, if the hydrate is heated, the water molecules may be driven off, resulting in a new empirical formula for the anhydrous compound.

5. How is the empirical formula of a hydrate different from the molecular formula?

The empirical formula of a hydrate represents the simplest whole number ratio of elements present, while the molecular formula represents the actual number of atoms of each element in a molecule. The molecular formula takes into account the actual structure of the molecule, while the empirical formula does not.