Empirical rule calculator command

• MHB
  • Thread starter aprilryan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the empirical rule states that nearly all of the data will fall within three standard deviations of the mean.
aprilryan
I just had a quick question. One problem says, "about 68% of the data will fall between what values?" Will I use the binompdf or normalcdf command on the TI-83 calculator? I can't remember.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The empirical rule states that for a normal distribution, nearly all of the data will fall within three standard deviations of the mean. The empirical rule can be broken down into three parts:

• 68% of data falls within the first standard deviation from the mean.
  • 95% fall within two standard deviations.
  • 99.7% fall within three standard deviations.
The rule is also called the 68-95-99 7 Rule or the Three Sigma Rule.

When applying the Empirical Rule to a data set the following conditions are true:

• Approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean (or between the mean – one times the standard deviation, and the mean + 1 times the standard deviation). In mathematical notation, this is represented as: $\mu\pm\sigma$
  • Approximately 95% of the data falls within two standard deviations of the mean (or between the mean – 2 times the standard deviation, and the mean + 2 times the standard deviation). The mathematical notation for this is: $\mu\pm2\sigma$
  • Approximately 99.7% of the data falls within three standard deviations of the mean (or between the mean – three times the standard deviation and the mean + three times the standard deviation). The following notation is used to represent this fact: $\mu\pm3\sigma$

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Basically I subtract the mean 95-2 and also add 95+2 to get between 75 and 112 right? It's much clearer now thanks! Love the profile pic by the way!

aprilryan said:
Basically I subtract the mean 95-2 and also add 95+2 to get between 75 and 112 right? It's much clearer now thanks! Love the profile pic by the way!

If you know the mean and the standard deviation, then the empirical rule can be used to say how much of the data will fall within certain ranges. For example, human IQ scores (which are normally distributed) have a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. Using the empirical rule, we can then say:

• 68% of IQ scores are in the range 85-115. (100 ± 1·15)
  • 95% of IQ scores are in the range 70-130. (100 ± 2·15)
  • 99.7% of IQ scores are in the range 55-145. (100 ± 3·15)

Oh, and yes...I've been an avid fan of Rush since I was in elementary school...got my first album in 1976. (Rock)

I haven't listened to Rush in a long time. Will give them a listen! A math helper who likes Rush is always a plus! Thanks again!

1. What is an Empirical Rule Calculator Command?

An Empirical Rule Calculator Command is a tool used to calculate the percentages and probabilities of a set of data that follows the Empirical Rule, also known as the 68-95-99.7 Rule. This rule states that in a normal distribution, approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% within two standard deviations, and 99.7% within three standard deviations.

2. How does an Empirical Rule Calculator Command work?

An Empirical Rule Calculator Command works by taking in a set of data and calculating the mean and standard deviation. It then uses these values to determine the percentages and probabilities according to the Empirical Rule. The command may also provide a visual representation of the data distribution in the form of a bell curve.

3. Why is the Empirical Rule useful in statistics?

The Empirical Rule is useful in statistics because it provides a quick and easy way to estimate the probabilities of a normal distribution without having to perform complex calculations. It also helps in understanding the spread and distribution of data, which can be useful in making predictions and drawing conclusions.

4. Can an Empirical Rule Calculator Command be used for non-normal data?

No, an Empirical Rule Calculator Command is specifically designed for data that follows a normal distribution. If the data does not follow a normal distribution, the results provided by the command may not be accurate.

5. Are there any limitations to using an Empirical Rule Calculator Command?

Yes, there are some limitations to using an Empirical Rule Calculator Command. It assumes that the data is normally distributed, and if this is not the case, the results may not be accurate. Additionally, the Empirical Rule only applies to data that falls within three standard deviations of the mean, so it may not be applicable for extreme values in the data set.