EMU sensitivity unit for SQUID magnetometers

In summary, the SQUID magnetometer is often referred to in units of EMU when discussing its sensitivity. EMU stands for electromagnetic units and is used to measure the strength of a magnetic field. It is related to the unit of Tesla and can be converted to it using specific formulas. EMU is commonly used in the context of magnetometer sensitivity and is a unit of measurement that should be understood when discussing this topic.
Physics news on Phys.org
hi there

Google is a wonderful thing :wink:

http://www.qdusa.com/sitedocs/UnitsChart.pdf

make sure you read the footnotes :smile:

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
hi there

Google is a wonderful thing :wink:

http://www.qdusa.com/sitedocs/UnitsChart.pdf

make sure you read the footnotes :smile:cheers
Dave

Thank you for your response, though I would like to tell you that definitely googling it is the first thing I have done, but it doesn't help, because apparently EMU has many different conventions and I'm looking for something specific used for magnetometer sensitivity.

Magnetometer sensitivity is either measured in Tesla or in Tesla per root Hz [itex]\left(\frac{T}{\sqrt{Hz}}\right)[/itex]. I cannot relate EMU to that at all.

Best regards.

well its definitions are given pretty clearly in this table with its relationship to Tesla
if that doesn't help, then I cannot help you further

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sjb/magnetism/units.pdfedit: ... that was the first site that actually told me what emu stood for :smile:

cheers
Dave

EMU stands for Electromagnetic Unit, which is a unit commonly used in the field of electromagnetism. It is a unit of magnetic moment and is defined as the amount of magnetic moment produced by a current of one ampere flowing in a loop of one square centimeter. In the context of sensitivity, the EMU unit is used to measure the smallest detectable magnetic field that a SQUID magnetometer can pick up. This is known as the noise level or sensitivity of the magnetometer. The lower the noise level, the more sensitive the magnetometer is to small changes in magnetic fields. Therefore, a SQUID magnetometer with a sensitivity of 1 EMU is more sensitive than one with a sensitivity of 10 EMU. The EMU unit is commonly used in SQUID magnetometer research because it is a convenient unit for describing the sensitivity of these instruments.

1. What is an EMU sensitivity unit for SQUID magnetometers?

An EMU sensitivity unit is a measure of the sensitivity of a SQUID (Superconducting Quantum Interference Device) magnetometer, which is a highly sensitive instrument used to measure magnetic fields. It is a unit of measurement for the minimum detectable magnetic field strength, with 1 EMU corresponding to 10^-6 Gauss.

2. How is the EMU sensitivity unit determined for a SQUID magnetometer?

The EMU sensitivity unit is determined by measuring the noise level of the SQUID magnetometer. The lower the noise level, the higher the EMU sensitivity unit. This is typically done by measuring the magnetic field of a known source and comparing it to the noise level of the instrument.

3. What is the significance of the EMU sensitivity unit for SQUID magnetometers?

The EMU sensitivity unit is an important metric for SQUID magnetometers as it determines the instrument's ability to detect small changes in magnetic fields. A higher EMU sensitivity unit means the instrument is more sensitive and can detect smaller magnetic fields, making it more suitable for certain research or industrial applications.

4. How does the EMU sensitivity unit compare to other units of sensitivity?

The EMU sensitivity unit is often compared to the Tesla (T), which is the SI unit for magnetic flux density. 1 EMU is equal to 10^-3 T, so the EMU sensitivity unit is a smaller unit of measurement. However, for highly sensitive instruments like SQUID magnetometers, the EMU sensitivity unit is a more practical and commonly used unit.

5. Can the EMU sensitivity unit be improved for SQUID magnetometers?

Yes, the EMU sensitivity unit can be improved by reducing the noise level of the instrument. This can be achieved through better shielding, temperature control, and other techniques. Research is ongoing to improve the sensitivity of SQUID magnetometers and push the limits of what can be detected using this technology.