How Do I Calculate BTU Needs for Cooling an Enclosed Space?

In summary, the individual is working on a project involving a 3/8" thick aluminum box with dimensions of 33"x33"x33". Inside the box is a 3/4 air gap covered with 1/8" HDPE plastic walls, and there will be a 100w output. They are looking to maintain a temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit inside the box and have determined that using r3.5 foil/bubble insulation behind the HDPE can lower the internal surface temperature to 90 degrees. They have questions about calculating the R-value of the surfaces, determining the BTUs needed for cooling, and finding the temperature differences between surfaces.
Acside
Hi all. I'm working on a small project and could use help.

I have an 3/8" thick aluminum box that is going to be placed outside. The dimensions of the box are 33"x33"x33" and inside the box there is a 3/4 air gap on all sides that is covered with 1/8" hdpe platic walls.

There will also be a 100w output within the box.

Lets say I want to maintain 70f degrees inside of the enclosure.

Using a DAQ setup I have been able to determine that the surface temperature in direct sun reaches ~130f and the internal hdpe walls reach ~100f. Using r3.5 foil/bubble insulation behind the hdpe gives me a lower internal surface temp of 90.

My questions are: 1) how could I calculate the actual R value of all the surfaces using my DAQ setup? This would be useful to mathematically test changes to the enclosure.

2) How could I determine the BTU's needed for cooling to maintain 70f? Would a simple conduction equation like "btu=UxAx(t1-t2)" be all that's required if I want to assume all external surfaces are the same temperature?

3) If I assume the internal air volume is 20cuft and 100 degrees could I use btu= (t1-t2)x1.08xcfm to determine cooling required to bring the air down to 70f when the box has been unconditioned for some time like a peak cooling load? " 30x1.08x20=btu?"

4) Finally, what would be the equation to determine actual temperature differences between one side of surface and the other. If I have an r4 insulation board that is 100F on one side how can i determine the temperature rise on the other?

Thank you for reading!
Any input would be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Acside said:
Using r3.5 foil/bubble insulation behind the hdpe gives me a lower internal surface temp of 90.

My questions are: 1) how could I calculate the actual R value of all the surfaces using my DAQ setup?
Add the R-value of a sheet of HDPE to 3.5.
2) How could I determine the BTU's needed for cooling to maintain 70f? Would a simple conduction equation like "btu=UxAx(t1-t2)" be all that's required if I want to assume all external surfaces are the same temperature?
Yes, though you need to add the heat that you are applying to the inside to that...
3) If I assume the internal air volume is 20cuft and 100 degrees could I use btu= (t1-t2)x1.08xcfm to determine cooling required to bring the air down to 70f when the box has been unconditioned for some time like a peak cooling load? " 30x1.08x20=btu?"
That's the energy required to cool the air inside down once...but doesn't include the heat capacity of what is inside or the walls.
4) Finally, what would be the equation to determine actual temperature differences between one side of surface and the other. If I have an r4 insulation board that is 100F on one side how can i determine the temperature rise on the other?
The surface temperatures of each side are almost exactly the ambient temperatures in the two spaces.

1. What is an enclosure BTU calculation?

An enclosure BTU calculation is a method used to determine the amount of heat generated inside a closed space, such as a server room or cabinet, in order to properly size and select cooling equipment to maintain a safe operating temperature.

2. How is an enclosure BTU calculation performed?

An enclosure BTU calculation takes into account factors such as the size of the enclosed space, the number and type of equipment inside, and the heat output of each individual component. This information is then used to calculate the total heat load, typically measured in BTUs (British Thermal Units).

3. Why is an enclosure BTU calculation important?

Performing an enclosure BTU calculation is crucial for ensuring that the enclosed space is properly cooled and that the equipment inside is functioning at its optimal temperature. Without proper cooling, the equipment can overheat and potentially fail, leading to costly downtime and repairs.

4. What are some common mistakes made when calculating enclosure BTUs?

Some common mistakes made when calculating enclosure BTUs include not accounting for all heat sources, using incorrect conversion factors, and not considering the effects of room temperature and humidity on the heat load. It is important to carefully gather all relevant information and use accurate formulas to avoid these mistakes.

5. Are there any online tools available for performing enclosure BTU calculations?

Yes, there are many online tools and calculators available that can help with enclosure BTU calculations. However, it is important to double check the results and ensure that all relevant information has been included in the calculation.