Energy conservation and friction

In summary, the initial speed of an object will not change regardless of its mass due to the cancellation of the increased kinetic energy and friction. The coefficient of kinetic friction is determined by the contacting surfaces, not the mass of the object. It is simply the ratio between the normal force and the friction force. This ratio may or may not depend on the normal force and speed.
otownsend
Hi,

I just started learning physics at university and so I'm looking for help on a simple energy conservation problem. On the bottom right-hand of the image I attached below, you should see that it asks whether the initial speed would increase or decrease if the object was of a greater mass... why would the speed not change? In the calculations for initial speed, the co-efficient of static friction is included which varies depending on what surfaces are in contact with each other. I would therefore believe that the initial speed of the larger mass object would be greater, since the co-efficient would also be greater. Can someone please clarify this for me?

Attachments

• IMG_20181112_104542.jpg
    IMG_20181112_104542.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 317
Physics news on Phys.org
otownsend said:
Hi,

I just started learning physics at university and so I'm looking for help on a simple energy conservation problem. On the bottom right-hand of the image I attached below, you should see that it asks whether the initial speed would increase or decrease if the object was of a greater mass... why would the speed not change? In the calculations for initial speed, the co-efficient of static friction is included which varies depending on what surfaces are in contact with each other. I would therefore believe that the initial speed of the larger mass object would be greater, since the co-efficient would also be greater. Can someone please clarify this for me?
Look at the equation just above "Solve and evaluate." You will notice that the mass enters on both sides of the equation. So yes, the friction will be greater with the greater mass of the vehicle, but so will its kinetic energy. The two cancel out and the result is independent of the mass of the object.

DrClaude said:
Look at the equation just above "Solve and evaluate." You will notice that the mass enters on both sides of the equation. So yes, the friction will be greater with the greater mass of the vehicle, but so will its kinetic energy. The two cancel out and the result is independent of the mass of the object.
Oh I think I understand what you mean!

The co-efficient of kinetic friction is just determined by the contacting surfaces (rubber and concrete in this example) and so the mass of the object does not affect this value.

I believe I was under the impression that the co-efficient of kinetic friction was determined by the normal force of the object (which indirectly means the mass of the object), which actually is not the case. The coefficient is merely the relationship between contacting surfaces of the same type and is discovered when comparing the ratio between the normal force and the friction force ... right?

otownsend said:
The coefficient is merely the relationship between contacting surfaces of the same type...
They don't have to be of the same type.

otownsend said:
... and is discovered when comparing the ratio between the normal force and the friction force ... right?
It's not "discovered when comparing the ratio", it simply is the ratio.

otownsend said:
The coefficient [...] is the ratio between the normal force and the friction force ... right?

Yes, but note that the ratio may or may not depend on the normal force. The usual approach is to adopt the approximation that the ratio is independent of the normal force and also independent of the speed.

1. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the practice of reducing the amount of energy used in a system while still achieving the desired outcome. This can be accomplished through various methods such as improving efficiency, using renewable energy sources, and reducing unnecessary energy consumption.

2. How does friction affect energy conservation?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. This means that when there is friction present, more energy is needed to overcome it and achieve the desired motion. Therefore, friction can decrease energy conservation by increasing the amount of energy needed to perform a task.

3. How can friction be reduced to conserve energy?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between surfaces in contact. Additionally, using smoother surfaces and reducing the weight or pressure on the surfaces can also decrease friction. This can result in less energy being needed to perform a task, thus improving energy conservation.

4. What are some common examples of energy conservation through friction reduction?

Some common examples include using ball bearings in machines to reduce friction and increase efficiency, using aerodynamic designs to reduce air resistance on vehicles, and implementing regenerative braking systems in cars to convert kinetic energy into electrical energy instead of dissipating it as heat through friction.

5. How does energy conservation through friction reduction benefit the environment?

By reducing friction and conserving energy, we are reducing the amount of fossil fuels that are burned to generate energy. This leads to lower greenhouse gas emissions and helps to mitigate the effects of climate change. Additionally, energy conservation can also help preserve natural resources and protect habitats that may be impacted by energy production.