Energy conservation and particle acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses energy conservation in the context of particle acceleration in a CRT. The question raised is about the apparent discrepancy between the energy used to create a potential difference and the energy gained by the electrons as they accelerate towards the anode. The answer is that the electrons do not need to hit the anode to change potential energy, as long as they travel along a path that is not perpendicular to the electric field. This explains how they can gain energy without hitting the anode and still contribute to reducing the charge separation in the system.
Axe199
As i am a physics amateur and most of what i learned is through videos, i sometimes get confused about energy conservation, my question concerns particle acceleration in CRT for example, we create a potential difference ( which requires energy) between the anode and the cathode, then the electrons are ejected at the cathode and accelerates towards the anode. Now naturally ( according to my narrow knowledge) the kinetic energy gained by the electrons is equal to the energy used in the charge separation to create the potential difference, because the electrons hit the anode they decrease the charge separation, but in the case of a CRT, some of them miss the anode to hit the screen or whatever, so where does this energy come from? the part i don't understand is how it gained energy and it didnt hit the anode to decrease the potential to compensate for the energy it gained.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need to hit anything to change potential energy. It is sufficient to travel along a path which is not perpendicular to the electric field.

Orodruin said:
You do not need to hit anything to change potential energy. It is sufficient to travel along a path which is not perpendicular to the electric field.
Can you explain more please

1. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does particle acceleration work?

Particle acceleration is the process of increasing the energy of particles, such as electrons or protons, to high speeds. This is typically achieved through the use of electric or magnetic fields, which accelerate the particles in a specific direction.

3. What is the importance of energy conservation in particle acceleration?

Energy conservation is crucial in particle acceleration because it ensures that the total energy of the particles remains constant throughout the acceleration process. This allows for accurate and predictable results, as well as preventing any potential safety hazards.

4. What are some common methods of energy conservation in particle acceleration?

One common method of energy conservation in particle acceleration is the use of superconducting magnets, which have zero resistance and can maintain a constant magnetic field without the need for additional energy. Another method is the use of energy recovery systems, which recycle the energy from decelerated particles to accelerate new particles.

5. How does energy conservation impact particle accelerators in research and practical applications?

In research, energy conservation is essential for accurately measuring the effects of particle acceleration and understanding fundamental physical laws. In practical applications, energy conservation is crucial for ensuring the efficiency and safety of particle accelerators used in fields such as medicine, industry, and energy production.