Energy density in 1D elastic wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy density of a 1D elastic wave with an amplitude of A=cos(x). It is determined that the energy of the wave is proportional to the square of the amplitude, E ∝ A^2, and that the energy density is given by ρA^2ω^2cos^2(kx - ωt). It is noted that the energy density is not constant, but rather varies between 0 and ρA^2ω^2 along the period of the wave. The potential energy is also found to be largest when the displacement is 0, as this is where the string is stretched and contains the most potential energy.
Andy365
Hello,
consider a 1D elastic wave which have the amplitude:
[tex]A=cos(x)[/tex]

What is the energy density: [tex]\frac{dE}{dx}[/tex] of this wave?

I seem to recall that the energy of a wave is proportional to the square of the amplitude:
[tex]E \propto A^2[/tex]

That seem to mean that [tex]\frac{dE}{dx} \propto cos(x)^2[/tex]

However the energy density should be constant for all x in this case, since there is no loss!?

If I instead define [tex]A=e^{ix}[/tex], and use that [tex]E \propto |A|^2[/tex]
things work better since [tex]|A|^2 = 1[/tex], which is independent of x.

So what is happening here?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Andy, To write down the energy you need to be more explicit about what kind of wave it is. You say the wave is one-dimensional, but you didn't say what type of medium is involved, and whether the wave is longitudinal or transverse. Let's suppose it's transverse, and described by a transverse displacement a(x,t). The medium (string?) will be described by a mass per unit length ρ and a restoring force per unit length T (string tension?).

The wave equation is ρ ∂2a/∂t2 - T ∂2a/∂x2 = 0, with solution a(x,t) = A sin(kx - ωt) with phase velocity ω/k = √(T/ρ).

Then the energy per unit length is E = ½ρ(∂a/∂t)2 + ½T(∂a/∂x)2 = ρA2ω2 cos2(kx - ωt)

(Note the last two terms are equal, i.e. the potential energy density equals the kinetic energy density.) This result confirms you're right, the energy density is proportional to A2. And it is proportional to cos2. It is *not* constant, it is maximum where the displacement is zero, because that's the point where the wave has the largest kinetic and potential energy.

Bill_K said:
Andy, To write down the energy you need to be more explicit about what kind of wave it is. You say the wave is one-dimensional, but you didn't say what type of medium is involved, and whether the wave is longitudinal or transverse. Let's suppose it's transverse, and described by a transverse displacement a(x,t). The medium (string?) will be described by a mass per unit length ρ and a restoring force per unit length T (string tension?).

The wave equation is ρ ∂2a/∂t2 - T ∂2a/∂x2 = 0, with solution a(x,t) = A sin(kx - ωt) with phase velocity ω/k = √(T/ρ).

Then the energy per unit length is E = ½ρ(∂a/∂t)2 + ½T(∂a/∂x)2 = ρA2ω2 cos2(kx - ωt)

(Note the last two terms are equal, i.e. the potential energy density equals the kinetic energy density.) This result confirms you're right, the energy density is proportional to A2. And it is proportional to cos2. It is *not* constant, it is maximum where the displacement is zero, because that's the point where the wave has the largest kinetic and potential energy.

Thank you Bill_K for your answer!
Yes I am talking about a transverse wave.

So the energy per unit length varies between 0 and ρA2ω2 along the period of the wave.
(It seems we usually define the energy to be an average over a whole period?)
But the wave transports energy in the propagation direction. This "flow of energy" must be constant along x. How do we define this?

Bill_K said:

I must not be reading a part correctly -- are you saying that the potential energy be largest when the displacement is zero?

I must not be reading a part correctly -- are you saying that the potential energy be largest when the displacement is zero?
That is correct. Because in a vibrating string the potential energy stored at a particular spot is determined by how much the string deviates from the horizontal, namely ∂a/∂x. A region where the string is perfectly flat, a = const ≠ 0, for example, contains *no* potential energy. Do you agree? For a vibrating string it's only places where ∂a/∂x ≠ 0 that the potential energy is stored. This holds true for both transverse and longitudinal vibrations. Imagine a slinky being stretched longitudinally. Again, you'll store no energy where the displacement a = const, only where the spring is actually being stretched, i.e. where ∂a/∂x ≠ 0.

This property is different for different types of wave, which is why I asked Andy very first thing what kind of wave he meant. There are other types of waves that behave the way you're thinking. For example sound waves in a crystal lattice would, in which each atom has an "at rest" location, and is attached to it by a little spring. In that case, like you said, the potential energy depends on a rather than ∂a/∂x.

Bill_K said:
That is correct. Because in a vibrating string the potential energy stored at a particular spot is determined by how much the string deviates from the horizontal, namely ∂a/∂x. A region where the string is perfectly flat, a = const ≠ 0, for example, contains *no* potential energy. Do you agree?
I do agree. The spring here is the string itself, which is stretched when dy/dx ~= 0. I was confusing myself by thinking about a slightly different kind of wave. ;)

Related to Energy density in 1D elastic wave

1. What is energy density in a 1D elastic wave?

Energy density in a 1D elastic wave refers to the amount of energy per unit volume that is carried by the wave. In other words, it is a measure of the energy stored in a particular region of the wave.

2. How is energy density related to amplitude in a 1D elastic wave?

The energy density of a 1D elastic wave is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude. This means that as the amplitude of the wave increases, so does its energy density.

3. Can energy density be negative in a 1D elastic wave?

No, energy density cannot be negative in a 1D elastic wave. This is because energy is always a positive quantity, and the density of energy is simply a measure of how much energy is present in a given volume.

4. How does energy density change as a 1D elastic wave propagates?

As a 1D elastic wave propagates, its energy density remains constant. This is because the wave is simply transferring energy from one location to another, rather than creating or destroying energy.

5. How does energy density in a 1D elastic wave compare to other types of waves?

Energy density in a 1D elastic wave is typically much lower than in other types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves or sound waves. This is because elastic waves tend to have lower frequencies and smaller amplitudes, resulting in less energy being carried by the wave.