Energy project for Universities implementation

In summary: For example, a proposal to retrofit the heating and cooling systems to use solar thermal or geothermal energy, or to install a small wind turbine to power some low-power electronics on campus.In summary, a student is working on a proposal to increase energy efficiency in a university. They are looking for ideas and advice on what kinds of projects would be feasible and fundable. If you are not constrained to submit the proposal for a particular university, then maybe you can pick one that is near some handy renewable energy supply (falling water, lots of sunshine, geothermal energy, wind power, etc...), and focus your proposal on using those local climate characteristics to the university's advantage...
MxwllsPersuasns
Hello all, this is my first time posting here so please excuse if this maybe isn't the appropriate thread to post this in but I figured it may be the most relevant. I am working on writing a proposal (small, just 450 words), that aims to address the energy efficiency of a university, ie., something that's feasible to implement in a university in order to either increase the energy efficiency of the university or work on reducing pollution (most commonly greenhouse gasses) without sacrificing efficiency. Basically I'm just asking around to see if anyone would have any novel ideas or knows of projects that would potentially fit the criterion. The only other stipulation is if this proposal is 'funded' there are only 50,000 dollars to be disbursed to the winner, so it should also fall within that financial constraint. Thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
MxwllsPersuasns said:
Hello all, this is my first time posting here so please excuse if this maybe isn't the appropriate thread to post this in but I figured it may be the most relevant. I am working on writing a proposal (small, just 450 words), that aims to address the energy efficiency of a university, ie., something that's feasible to implement in a university in order to either increase the energy efficiency of the university or work on reducing pollution (most commonly greenhouse gasses) without sacrificing efficiency. Basically I'm just asking around to see if anyone would have any novel ideas or knows of projects that would potentially fit the criterion. The only other stipulation is if this proposal is 'funded' there are only 50,000 dollars to be disbursed to the winner, so it should also fall within that financial constraint. Thank you in advance

Welcome to the PF.

What are your thoughts so far? What reading have you done about existing similar projects? What environment is assumed for the university (like, is it in a particular climate, with some renewable energy resources nearby, etc.)?

Currently a little lost, due to the sheer breadth of topics out there but upon re-evaluation of the template I noticed that the energy project not need be pertinent to the university just that it be feasibly funded with 50k. I had originally wanted to look smaller, fast neutron breeder reactors but there are several (very salient) issues with that such as finances and nuclear proliferation, especially breeding Pu-239. I do not have much vested interest in other areas of renewable energy, which is where my issue stems from I tend to focus a lot on nuclear technology. However as previously stated, it is completely unrealistic with the budget given. If anyone could even provide a few solid jumping off points, just for me to then go and do some follow up research on that would be very much appreciated! [Of course more detailed answers are always appreciated as well ;) ]

MxwllsPersuasns said:
Currently a little lost, due to the sheer breadth of topics out there but upon re-evaluation of the template I noticed that the energy project not need be pertinent to the university just that it be feasibly funded with 50k. I had originally wanted to look smaller, fast neutron breeder reactors but there are several (very salient) issues with that such as finances and nuclear proliferation, especially breeding Pu-239. I do not have much vested interest in other areas of renewable energy, which is where my issue stems from I tend to focus a lot on nuclear technology. However as previously stated, it is completely unrealistic with the budget given. If anyone could even provide a few solid jumping off points, just for me to then go and do some follow up research on that would be very much appreciated! [Of course more detailed answers are always appreciated as well ;) ]

One of the themes here at the PF is that students should be helped to "learn how to learn". That generally means that the student asking for help needs to show a lot of effort on their own before we can offer much extra help.

So for example, what kinds of topics have you found on Google when you look at energy efficiency in buildings and campuses? And what kinds of approaches have been used at real campuses recently? I know there must be many examples of good approaches that have been cost-effective.

If you are not constrained to submit the proposal for a particular university, then maybe you can pick one that is near some handy renewable energy supply (falling water, lots of sunshine, geothermal energy, wind power, etc...), and focus your proposal on using those local climate characteristics to the university's advantage...

What is the purpose of an energy project for universities implementation?

An energy project for universities implementation aims to enhance the energy efficiency and sustainability of a university campus. It involves implementing various strategies and technologies to reduce energy consumption and promote the use of renewable energy sources.

What types of energy projects can be implemented in universities?

There are various types of energy projects that can be implemented in universities, including energy audits, building retrofits, installation of solar panels or wind turbines, and the use of energy management systems. The specific projects chosen will depend on the needs and resources of each university.

What are the benefits of implementing an energy project in universities?

Implementing an energy project in universities can have numerous benefits, including cost savings on energy bills, reduction of carbon emissions, improved indoor air quality, and increased awareness of sustainable practices among students and faculty.

How can universities fund energy projects?

There are several ways that universities can fund energy projects, including through grants, partnerships with energy companies or government agencies, and internal funding. Some universities may also choose to allocate a portion of their budget towards energy projects.

What challenges may universities face when implementing energy projects?

Some common challenges that universities may face when implementing energy projects include limited funding, lack of expertise or resources, resistance to change, and the need to balance energy efficiency with other campus priorities. It's important for universities to carefully plan and prioritize energy projects to overcome these challenges.