Energy required to magnetize soft iron?

In summary, the process of magnetizing soft iron involves exposing it to a strong magnetic field or running an electric current through it. The purpose of this process is to create a temporary magnetic field for various applications. The amount of energy required depends on factors such as the size and shape of the iron, as well as the strength of the magnetic field. Soft iron can also be demagnetized by using a strong opposing magnetic field or heating it above its Curie temperature. Other factors that affect the energy required include the properties of the iron and external factors like temperature and impurities.
Dash-IQ
Out of all the formula's I studied, I could not figure out how much energy is required to magnetize soft iron ferromagnetic material that has a small hysteresis loop(Due to the low coercive force)...
How can I figure this out?

Also magnetization energy = demagnetization energy correct?

mag20.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I can figure it out from the torque applied on each moment in the material and know the magnetization energy?

Related to Energy required to magnetize soft iron?

1. What is the process of magnetizing soft iron?

The process of magnetizing soft iron involves exposing the iron to a strong magnetic field, either through contact with a permanent magnet or by running an electric current through a coil of wire wrapped around the iron.

2. What is the purpose of magnetizing soft iron?

The purpose of magnetizing soft iron is to create a temporary magnetic field in the iron. This can be useful for a variety of applications, such as in electromagnets for lifting heavy objects or in motors and generators.

3. How much energy is required to magnetize soft iron?

The energy required to magnetize soft iron depends on the size and shape of the iron, as well as the strength of the magnetic field or current being used. Generally, it takes more energy to magnetize larger pieces of iron or to create stronger magnetic fields.

4. Can soft iron be demagnetized?

Yes, soft iron can be demagnetized by exposing it to a strong, opposing magnetic field or by heating it above its Curie temperature (around 770°C). This causes the randomly oriented magnetic domains in the iron to lose their alignment and the iron to lose its magnetic properties.

5. What are the factors that affect the energy required to magnetize soft iron?

The main factors that affect the energy required to magnetize soft iron are the size and shape of the iron, the strength of the magnetic field or current being used, and the properties of the iron itself, such as its magnetic permeability and coercivity. Other factors, such as temperature and the presence of impurities, can also affect the energy required.