Engineer stumped by pure math, need to find some way to get started

In summary: Some common norms arethe absolute value, the square of the absolute value, and the sum of the squaresof the absolute values. Of course, in practice, one often defines Sobolev spaces and Hausdorff spaces and soforth, depending on what sorts of functions are being considered. In summary, a functional space is a set of functions having some particular property, where some "topology" is defined. A scalar product of two functions in a functional space is a member-function, and a Hilbert space is a special type of functional space with some very nice properties.
lankman
Hi guys, I am reading some paper on Mellin Transform and its application in signal processing and I am totally stumped by phrases such as lebesgue space, square integrable, isometry, automorphism, measurable and essential supreme and such.

Of course, when I look them up one by one I sort of get the concept (although still very confused about why people would go through all that mess to define these concepts as such), but I would like to be comprehensive about it.

Where can I get a systematic understanding of these terms? Do I need a course in real analysis? If possible, can someone elaborate as to what a functional space mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of those words do imply real analysis.

A functional space is a set of functions having some particular property, where some "topology" is defined. Which usually means there is a way to measure how "far apart" two functions are. Very frequently functional spaces are linear, which means that for any two numbers a and b, and any two member-functions f and g, af + bg is also a member-function. In those space you typically have a scalar product (f, g), which is used to define the norm ||f|| = |(f, f)|, and the norm is used to define the metric r(f, g) = ||f - g||, which tells you how far apart f and g are.

Taking the space of square integrable functions on the interval [a, b], the scalar product of f and g is simply the definite integral of the product f(t)g(t) over the interval [a, b]. What is "square integrable"? This a function integral of whose square is finite, which simply means its norm is finite, so all the definitions are self-consistent.

lankman said:
Hi guys, I am reading some paper on Mellin Transform and its application in signal processing and I am totally stumped by phrases such as lebesgue space, square integrable, isometry, automorphism, measurable and essential supreme and such.

Of course, when I look them up one by one I sort of get the concept (although still very confused about why people would go through all that mess to define these concepts as such), but I would like to be comprehensive about it.

Where can I get a systematic understanding of these terms? Do I need a course in real analysis? If possible, can someone elaborate as to what a functional space mean?

One of the important things about square-integrability is that the space of square-

integrable functions, laid out as voko did, is a Hilbert space, and Hilbert spaces have

some very nice properties. To add a bit about norms, there are often many

different ones used ( and inequivalent topologically), reflecting the different notions

of what functions being closed to each other may mean.

Related to Engineer stumped by pure math, need to find some way to get started

1. What is the best way to approach a pure math problem as an engineer?

The first step is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This will help you identify the key concepts and techniques needed to solve the problem. Next, review any relevant equations or formulas and make sure you understand their applications. Finally, try to relate the problem to real-world scenarios or applications to gain a better understanding of the problem's context.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in pure math as an engineer?

Practice is key when it comes to improving problem-solving skills in pure math. Try to solve a variety of problems from different sources, such as textbooks, online resources, and practice exams. This will help you become familiar with different types of problems and techniques for solving them. Additionally, seek help from peers or instructors if you are struggling with a particular concept or problem.

3. What resources are available for engineers struggling with pure math problems?

There are many resources available for engineers struggling with pure math problems. These include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, practice problems and exams, and study groups or tutoring services. It is important to find the resources that work best for you and your learning style.

4. How important are pure math skills for engineers?

Pure math skills are essential for engineers as they are used to solve complex problems and develop new technologies. These skills are particularly important in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. A strong foundation in pure math also allows engineers to better understand and apply advanced concepts and techniques in their field.

5. How can I stay motivated while tackling difficult pure math problems as an engineer?

One way to stay motivated while tackling difficult pure math problems is to remind yourself of the practical applications of the concepts you are learning. Additionally, taking breaks and switching to other problems or subjects can help keep your mind fresh and prevent burnout. Don't be afraid to seek help or collaborate with others, as this can also help keep you motivated and engaged in the problem-solving process.