Engineering Physics and Nanotech

In summary, the speaker is in their third year of an engineering physics program and is considering specializing in nanotechnology. They have questions about employment opportunities, entrepreneurship, and other career paths in the field. The speaker is also interested in the potential for 3D printing and the impact of nanotechnology on civilization.
Nikitin
Hi. I am in my 3rd year in my engineering physics program (it's a 5-year education). Right now I'm supposed to choose my field of specialization, and the one I'm leaning towards is nanotech. So a few questions:

1. How good are the opportunities for employment in nanotechnology? Should I get a phD if I want to make it big?

2. How ripe is the industry for entrepreneurship? Have any serious companies sprung up yet?

3. Does anybody know of any other career paths that are particularly fitting for an engineering physics graduate?

thanks in advance for all replies :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there some reason nobody is answering? Perhaps I was unclear?

Nikitin said:
Hi. I am in my 3rd year in my engineering physics program (it's a 5-year education). Right now I'm supposed to choose my field of specialization, and the one I'm leaning towards is nanotech. So a few questions:

1. How good are the opportunities for employment in nanotechnology? Should I get a phD if I want to make it big?

2. How ripe is the industry for entrepreneurship? Have any serious companies sprung up yet?

3. Does anybody know of any other career paths that are particularly fitting for an engineering physics graduate?

thanks in advance for all replies :)
Does the 5-year EP program lead to an MS degree? In what particular area(s) of EP is one interested?

Here is a list of companies or research institutions employing nano-technology.
http://www.nanoindustries.com/links/companies.html

There are many opportunities in many fields, e.g., medicine, agriculture, materials, electronics, manufacturing, . . . .

3D printing is an emerging area related to nano-technology.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedo...vilization-changing-revolutionary-next-phase/
Nanotech, or the manipulation of matter on atomic and molecular scales, is currently used to describe micro-scale technology in everything from space technology to biotech.
As such, nanotech has already changed the world. But the fruition of atomically precise manufacturing (APM) — nanotech’s next phase — promises to create such “radical abundance” that it will not only change industry but civilization itself.

ASME Nanotechnology Institute
https://community.asme.org/nanotechnology_institute/default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it leads to a MS. Thank you so much for the info!

1. The opportunities for employment in nanotechnology are constantly growing as the field continues to advance and expand. Many industries, including healthcare, energy, and electronics, are incorporating nanotechnology into their products and processes. A PhD in nanotechnology can definitely open up more opportunities for higher-level positions and research positions in this field.

2. The industry for entrepreneurship in nanotechnology is still in its early stages, but there are certainly opportunities for startups and new companies in this field. Many universities and research institutions have technology transfer programs that help researchers and entrepreneurs bring their nanotechnology innovations to market. Some successful companies in the nanotechnology industry include Nanosys, Zyvex Technologies, and Nanofilm.

3. Engineering physics graduates have a diverse set of skills that make them well-suited for various career paths. Some common career paths for engineering physics graduates include research and development in industries such as aerospace, energy, and healthcare, as well as consulting, teaching, and entrepreneurship. With a background in both engineering and physics, you can also pursue a career in interdisciplinary fields such as materials science, biophysics, or renewable energy.

1. What is Engineering Physics and Nanotech?

Engineering Physics and Nanotech is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles from physics and engineering to study and manipulate matter at the nanoscale. It involves the design, development, and application of new materials, devices, and systems at the nanoscale, which is one billionth of a meter.

2. How is Engineering Physics and Nanotech used in real-world applications?

Engineering Physics and Nanotech has a wide range of applications in industries such as electronics, energy, medicine, and materials science. It is used to create new and improved materials, develop more efficient and smaller electronic devices, and improve medical treatments and diagnostics.

3. What are some examples of nanotechnology in daily life?

Nanotechnology can be found in many everyday products, such as sunscreen, cosmetics, and food packaging. It is also used in water purification systems, stain-resistant clothing, and scratch-resistant coatings for electronics. Nanotechnology is also being researched for potential applications in drug delivery, energy storage, and environmental remediation.

4. What are the potential risks and ethical concerns associated with nanotechnology?

As with any new technology, there are potential risks associated with nanotechnology. These include the release of nanoparticles into the environment, potential health effects from exposure to nanoparticles, and ethical concerns surrounding the use of nanotechnology in military applications. It is important for scientists and policymakers to address these concerns and ensure responsible and safe use of nanotechnology.

5. What skills are needed to pursue a career in Engineering Physics and Nanotech?

A career in Engineering Physics and Nanotech requires a strong background in physics and mathematics, as well as knowledge of engineering principles. Additionally, skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis are essential. Strong communication skills and the ability to work in a team are also important for collaborating with other scientists and engineers in this field.