Enthalpy change in a flow process

• I
  • Thread starter ethonodon
  • Start date
ethonodon
TL;DR Summary
In a flow process, why do we substitute dH = c*dT if pressure is dropping during the process
I am looking at simple steady-state flow processes, say for flow through a pipe. The general energy balance for pipe flow reduces to simply heat evolved = change in enthalpy between the two states (or heat rate = mass flow rate * change in specific enthalpy). However, for a flow process, why is it justified to replace change in enthalpy with heat capacity * change in temperature. I understand that for closed systems, one can only do so for processes taking place at constant pressure (or for cases in which the enthalpy is a function only of temperature.) In the case of pipe flow, pressure obviously drops - do we simply approximate the enthalpy of the fluid to only depend on temperature? Otherwise, the dH = c*dT substitution does not seem valid to me...

Science news on Phys.org
ethonodon said:
TL;DR Summary: In a flow process, why do we substitute dH = c*dT if pressure is dropping during the process

I am looking at simple steady-state flow processes, say for flow through a pipe. The general energy balance for pipe flow reduces to simply heat evolved = change in enthalpy between the two states (or heat rate = mass flow rate * change in specific enthalpy). However, for a flow process, why is it justified to replace change in enthalpy with heat capacity * change in temperature. I understand that for closed systems, one can only do so for processes taking place at constant pressure (or for cases in which the enthalpy is a function only of temperature.) In the case of pipe flow, pressure obviously drops - do we simply approximate the enthalpy of the fluid to only depend on temperature? Otherwise, the dH = c*dT substitution does not seem valid to me...

In general, dH = c*dT is not valid. If the specific heat c is constant enough, it may be an acceptable approximation, depending on the nature of the calculation. Or it may not be.

Are you talking about a liquid or a gas?

1. What is enthalpy change in a flow process?

Enthalpy change in a flow process refers to the change in the total energy of a system as it undergoes a flow process, such as a chemical reaction or a change in state. It takes into account both the internal energy and the work done on or by the system.

2. How is enthalpy change calculated?

Enthalpy change is calculated using the formula ΔH = Hfinal - Hinitial, where ΔH is the enthalpy change, Hfinal is the final enthalpy of the system, and Hinitial is the initial enthalpy of the system.

3. What is the significance of enthalpy change in a flow process?

Enthalpy change is important in understanding the energy transfer that occurs during a flow process. It can help predict whether a reaction or process will be exothermic (releasing energy) or endothermic (absorbing energy). It is also used in the design and optimization of industrial processes.

4. How does pressure affect enthalpy change in a flow process?

Pressure can affect enthalpy change in a flow process because it can change the volume of the system and therefore the work done on or by the system. This can impact the enthalpy change and should be taken into account when calculating it.

5. Can enthalpy change be negative?

Yes, enthalpy change can be negative. A negative enthalpy change indicates that the system has released energy to the surroundings, making the process exothermic. This can occur in exothermic reactions or when a substance changes from a higher energy state to a lower energy state, such as from a gas to a liquid.