Entropy and heat bath/reservoir

In summary: Even if the thermal reservoir exchanges heat reversibly, the other system can undergo an irreversibly transformation. Right?Thank you. A few more questions:1) Can you think of any examples where entropy might be generated without any transfer of heat?2) If the reservoir temperature is constant, what is the entropy of the system (in Kelvin) after transferring 1 J of heat from the reservoir to the system?3) If the reservoir temperature is constant, but the heat capacity of the reservoir is finite, what is the entropy of the system (in Kelvin) after transferring 1 J of heat from the reservoir to the system?In summary, an ideal thermal reservoir is one in which
dRic2
Gold Member
If I have and object at a different temperature than the thermal/heat reservoir (whatever it's called) an heat flow will take place. If I write the entropy balance for the thermal reservoir it will be:

##\frac {dS} {dt} = \frac {\dot Q} T + \dot S_{gen}##

Now I remember something my professor told me a year ago (I could never fully understand it and it keeps coming back to mind),

from his book (I tried to translate it correctly):
the rate at which entropy is generated within the system (##S_{gen}##) is always zero because, since the temperature is uniform ad constant, the effect of the heat flow is the same for every temperature of the object it's exchanging heat with.

can someone please explain it to me?

Thanks
Ric

Science news on Phys.org
dRic2 said:
If I have and object at a different temperature than the thermal/heat reservoir (whatever it's called) an heat flow will take place. If I write the entropy balance for the thermal reservoir it will be:

##\frac {dS} {dt} = \frac {\dot Q} T + \dot S_{gen}##

Now I remember something my professor told me a year ago (I could never fully understand it and it keeps coming back to mind),

from his book (I tried to translate it correctly):can someone please explain it to me?

Thanks
Ric
If this is the entropy balance on the ideal reservoir, then there is no entropy generated within the reservoir, since its thermal conductivity is assumed to be infinite, and there are negligible temperature gradients within the reservoir (associated with entropy generation). Also, the heat capacity of the reservoir is assumed to be infinite, so that its temperature remains constant, and all the entropy transferred between the system and the reservoir takes place by heat flow at the reservoir temperature T. If you had assumed that the reservoir had a large, but finite, heat capacity, the change in entropy of the reservoir would have been:
$$\Delta S=mC\ln(T_f/T_i)$$with $$Q=mC(T_f-T_i)$$
If we combine these two equations, we obtain $$\Delta S=mC\ln{\left(1+\frac{Q}{mCT_i}\right)}$$If we take the limit of this as mC becomes infinite, we obtain: $$\Delta S=\frac{Q}{T_i}$$
So an ideal thermal reservoir is one in which no entropy is generated, and, for which the amount of entropy transferred from the system to the ideal reservoir is given by the equation ##\Delta S=\frac{Q}{T_R}##, where ##T_R## is the (constant) reservoir temperature. In other words, an ideal reservoir is always assumed to transfer heat reversibly at the constant reservoir temperature.

Likes NFuller and dRic2
Thank you for the clear explanation, but I don't understand the reason for this:

Chestermiller said:
since its thermal conductivity is assumed to be infinite, and there are negligible temperature gradients within the reservoir (associated with entropy generation)

Also can you suggest me some books where entropy balance is carefully explained? In all the books I have read about thermodynamics there is a lot of stuff about the energy balance, but not very much about the entropy balance.

Ric

dRic2 said:
Thank you for the clear explanation, but I don't understand the reason for this:
Also can you suggest me some books where entropy balance is carefully explained? In all the books I have read about thermodynamics there is a lot of stuff about the energy balance, but not very much about the entropy balance.

Ric
A book that I like quite a bit is Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics by Moran et al.

Thank you. A few more questions:

1) If thermal conductivity is infinite, heat (kinetic energy) is transferred entirely from a molecule to an other with no loss (thus no entropy generated). Right?

2) A liquid/solid/gas during a state transition can be assumed as a thermal reservoir? Dose it means it will exchange heat reversibly?

3) Even if the thermal reservoir exchanges heat reversibly, the other system can undergo an irreversibly transformation. Right?

dRic2 said:
Thank you. A few more questions:

1) If thermal conductivity is infinite, heat (kinetic energy) is transferred entirely from a molecule to an other with no loss (thus no entropy generated). Right?
I don't know much about molecular interactions, because I'm a continuum mechanics guy. But I do know that the local rate of entropy generation per unit volume is proportional to the local heat flux squared divided by the thermal conductivity.
2) A liquid/solid/gas during a state transition can be assumed as a thermal reservoir? Dose it means it will exchange heat reversibly?
If you have ice cubes at 0C floating around in liquid water, and heat is introduced at a boundary far from the ice cubes, you can have temperature gradients (and entropy generation) within the liquid water in the vicinity of the heat transfer boundary. But, if the heat is introduced slowly enough at the boundary, the temperature gradients (and entropy generation) will be negligible. The changes very close to the surfaces of the ice cubes will, of course, typically take place with minimal temperature gradients and minimal entropy generation. So it is worthwhile starting to think about the spatial variations of the transient changes taking place in a system in which there is a possibility of irreversibility.
3) Even if the thermal reservoir exchanges heat reversibly, the other system can undergo an irreversibly transformation. Right?
Yes. In this case, all the irreversibility is forced to occur in the "system."

Likes dRic2
Chestermiller said:
But I do know that the local rate of entropy generation per unit volume is proportional to the local heat flux squared divided by the thermal conductivity.

Any reference for that? Is this in the book you suggested before? because I give a quick look but I didn't find it. I also took a look at the local entropy balance but I found a very complicated formula for ##\sigma## (or ##S_{gen}##)

dRic2 said:
Any reference for that? Is this in the book you suggested before? because I give a quick look but I didn't find it. I also took a look at the local entropy balance but I found a very complicated formula for ##\sigma## (or ##S_{gen}##)
They have a great derivation in Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, Chapter 11, Problem 11.D.1 Equation of change for entropy

Noooooo, I've just returned that book to the library... :( :(

dRic2 said:
Noooooo, I've just returned that book to the library... :( :(
Buy yourself a personal copy. This is the one book that I used more than all the others combined during my 35 year career in industry.

I will!

1. What is the concept of entropy in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In thermodynamics, it is a measure of the unavailable energy in a closed system that is not able to be converted into work. It increases as energy is transferred or converted from one form to another, resulting in a decrease in the overall usable energy of the system.

2. How does the concept of heat bath or reservoir relate to entropy?

A heat bath or reservoir is a large, constant temperature system that can exchange energy with the system of interest. The concept of a heat bath is important in understanding entropy as it allows for the transfer of energy without changing the temperature of the system, leading to an increase in entropy as energy is dissipated into the heat bath.

3. Why is entropy said to be a measure of disorder?

Entropy is often described as a measure of disorder because it reflects the amount of energy in a system that is not able to be used to do work. As energy is transferred and converted, it becomes more dispersed and less organized, resulting in an increase in entropy.

4. What is the relationship between entropy and the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system can never decrease over time. This is because as energy is transferred and converted, it becomes more dispersed and less organized, resulting in an increase in entropy. Therefore, entropy is a fundamental concept in understanding and applying the second law of thermodynamics.

5. Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

In closed systems, entropy cannot be reversed or decreased. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system can only increase or remain constant. However, in open systems, where energy and matter can be exchanged with the surroundings, it is possible to decrease entropy in one part of the system while increasing it in another.