Entropy in the Brazil Nut Sorting Effect

In summary, the Brazil Nut effect, also known as Granular Convection, is a phenomenon where larger grains move upwards and smaller grains move downwards, leading to a reduction in the multiplicity of the system. However, according to the second law of thermodynamics, the entropy and multiplicity of the system should increase. This is because entropy is a molecular scale phenomenon and is not expected to apply to macroscopic systems like granular materials. Thus, the system is considered to be out of equilibrium at almost any level of description, and the energy won through potential energy cannot be reconverted.
Tahmeed
In Brazil Nut effect /Granular convection the large grains move upward and the smaller ones go downward. This sorting is supposed to reduce the multiplicity of this system. But according to the second law of thermodynamics, entropy and multiplicity of the system should increase.

I am looking for a detailed and intuitive explanation of this.

Science news on Phys.org
Consider what you define as 'the system'. Does it have a fixed energy ?

Entropy is a molecular scale phenomenon. It is not expected to apply to macroscopic systems, such as how you organize your library (or how Brazil nuts gravitationally segregate).

Tahmeed said:
I am looking for a detailed and intuitive explanation of this.
Google is your friend. There's a lot behind pay walls, but I liked browsing this one, so: thanks for bringing it up !
BvU said:
Consider what you define as 'the system'. Does it have a fixed energy ?
My reason for putting it this way: I figured potential energy is won when interstitial void is reduced (closer packing). This energy is dissipated and can't be reconverted. But Chet's comment is quite valid although my own library definitely obeys the second law.

Page 211 in the link said:
granular materials are a system out of equilibrium at almost any level

1. What is the Brazil Nut Sorting Effect?

The Brazil Nut Sorting Effect, also known as the granular convection effect, is a phenomenon in which larger particles rise to the top of a container when shaken or agitated, while smaller particles sink to the bottom.

2. How does entropy play a role in the Brazil Nut Sorting Effect?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the case of the Brazil Nut Sorting Effect, shaking or agitating the container increases the entropy of the system, causing the larger particles to rise and the smaller particles to sink due to differences in density and size.

3. What are the real-world applications of the Brazil Nut Sorting Effect?

The Brazil Nut Sorting Effect has been observed in various industries, such as food processing, pharmaceuticals, and mining. It is also being studied for potential applications in particle separation and mixing processes.

4. Can the Brazil Nut Sorting Effect be reversed?

While the Brazil Nut Sorting Effect is a natural phenomenon, it can be reversed by carefully controlling the shaking or agitation of the container. This can be achieved by adjusting the frequency, amplitude, or direction of the shaking.

5. How does the Brazil Nut Sorting Effect relate to other scientific principles?

The Brazil Nut Sorting Effect is a result of various scientific principles, such as gravity, density, and entropy. It also has connections to other phenomena, such as the Rayleigh-Taylor instability and the Brazil Nut Effect (where larger particles rise to the top due to vibrations).