Entropy increase in gravitational collapse.

In summary: So, due to the long range gravitational interaction, the entropy and internal energy won't be the usual extensive functions and thus the standard results like E = T S - P V + mu N are not going to be valid anymore.Yes, this is a problem with the standard model of gravity. But it's also a problem with the standard model of thermodynamics, which is why researchers are searching for a more comprehensive understanding of the universe.
martin_blckrs
I want to hear your opinion on this:
Let's say that the universe in time zero consists just of a cloud of matter. Now as the time progresses, and the matter interacts gravitationally, it will gradually collapse into a sphere. Will the entropy of the universe really increase?

Science news on Phys.org
The total entropy in the universe tends to increase for every spontaneous process. http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/entropy.html" might interest you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mapes said:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/entropy.html" might interest you.

I always thought site that was rather diabolical! :biggrin:

Thanks for the link, it seems very interesting. So where does the entropy actually go? Since the system is closed, my only tip would be that it increases the "entropy of the gravitational field", but I don't really know what to understand under that.

Gravitational collapse increases spatial order at the expense of increasing velocity disorder. Then the process waits, until the system manages to offload that velocity disorder (which it will do by increasing the temperature of the surrounding universe).

Mapes said:
The total entropy in the universe tends to increase for every spontaneous process. http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/entropy.html" might interest you.

That's not exactly correct; the change in entropy is positive for all irreversible processes. The change in free energy is negative for spontaneous processes. Also, it is not clear how to define an isolated system in the OP- is the entire universe an isolated system? What are the boundary conditions? Has any work been performed during the process of collapse?

If we consider the system to be a closed system then the boundary conditions are adiabatic boundary counditions and no work is performed/extracted.

The system is thus kept at some constant energy. Then the total entropy (defined in a suitable way, like minus the sum over p_i Log(P_i) ), can only increase.

Free energy does not apply here, because the system is not kept at constant temperature. Even if the system is approximately at consant temperature, one has to be careful with applying the usual results of thermodynamics, because of the hidden assumptions like there being only short range interactions. That's clearly not the case if gravity is relevant.

So, due to the long range gravitational interaction, the entropy and internal energy won't be the usual extensive functions and thus the standard results like E = T S - P V + mu N are not going to be valid anymore.

cesiumfrog said:
Gravitational collapse increases spatial order at the expense of increasing velocity disorder. Then the process waits, until the system manages to offload that velocity disorder (which it will do by increasing the temperature of the surrounding universe).

But this is exactly what Baez calculates in his article - and he shows that even if we take into acount the entropy of the velocity distribution, it will still give us smaller entropy than at the beginning. So where is the remaining entropy?

martin_blckrs said:
But [Baez] shows that even if we take into acount the entropy of the velocity distribution, it will still give us smaller entropy than at the beginning. So where is the remaining entropy?
Read the whole article. Distinguish between the initial phase of collapse (that occurs even if the system is isolated) and its continuation (in which the total energy of the system is allowed to decrease). Note Baez is focusing on the latter (by beginning with the virial theorem).

Last edited:
You may remember from astrophysics class that (loosely speaking) gas clouds can only collapse if they are transparent to their own thermal radiation.

Mapes said:
The total entropy in the universe tends to increase for every spontaneous process.

Andy Resnick said:
That's not exactly correct; the change in entropy is positive for all irreversible processes. The change in free energy is negative for spontaneous processes.

Minimization of free energy for isothermal systems is equivalent to maximization of entropy for constant-energy systems. (See Callen's Thermodynamics on the extremum principle, for example.) As Count Iblis pointed out, surely it makes more sense to model the universe to have constant energy as opposed to being isothermal.

Count Iblis said:
If we consider the system to be a closed system then the boundary conditions are adiabatic boundary counditions and no work is performed/extracted.

The system is thus kept at some constant energy. Then the total entropy (defined in a suitable way, like minus the sum over p_i Log(P_i) ), can only increase.

<snip>

Mapes said:
Minimization of free energy for isothermal systems is equivalent to maximization of entropy for constant-energy systems. (See Callen's Thermodynamics on the extremum principle, for example.) As Count Iblis pointed out, surely it makes more sense to model the universe to have constant energy as opposed to being isothermal.

I agree that for a static universe consisting only of a uniform subvolume of dust the results are reasonably well-understood. But reconciling thermodynamics with GR is not as straightforward. Assigning a temperature can be ambiguous, for example: Unruh radiation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unruh_radiation). And I don't think we can simply demand that the universe has an adiabatic boundary, see for example black hole thermodynamics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_thermodynamics).

One possible reason for the difficult nature of this problem is that the initial conditions are (perhaps) ill-posed- we did not completely specify the initial state. How can a closed universe filled uniformly with dust come to be? What is the initial total energy, momentum, angular momentum? Can they be unambiguously assigned in a way consistent with GR?

I don't know the answers to these questions- it's way outside my expertise. Tolman's book "Relativity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology" has a chapter on this subject- this could be a good excuse for me to read it.

And I've always been curious about relativistic thermo, so thanks for the reference; I'd like to take a look at it sometime.

Related to Entropy increase in gravitational collapse.

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is often referred to as the measure of the unavailable energy in a closed system.

How does entropy increase during gravitational collapse?

During gravitational collapse, entropy increases due to the increase in disorder and randomness in the system. As particles are pulled closer together, their motion becomes more chaotic and the system becomes more disordered.

What is the relationship between entropy and the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time. This means that in any natural process, the overall entropy of the system will increase, including during gravitational collapse.

Can entropy decrease in gravitational collapse?

No, the second law of thermodynamics states that entropy can only increase or remain constant. In the case of gravitational collapse, the increase in entropy is inevitable due to the nature of the process.

What are some real-world examples of entropy increase in gravitational collapse?

A common example of entropy increase in gravitational collapse is the formation of a black hole. As a massive star collapses, its particles become more disordered, leading to a significant increase in entropy. Another example is the formation of galaxies, where gravitational collapse leads to an increase in entropy as particles come together to form larger structures.