Entropy unavailable to do work

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of entropy in a Physics II class. The teacher's definition of entropy as a measure of disorder was not satisfactory, so the speaker searched for a better explanation. They found a definition that described entropy as a measure of unavailable energy in a system. This was confusing in the context of an internal combustion engine, where combustion increases entropy and drives the cycle. It was also mentioned that a closed system at a uniform temperature has maximum entropy. The conversation ended with the understanding that entropy corresponds to energy that cannot perform work.
Raddy13
I was helping my cousin with her Physics II class and they just started discussing entropy in the Thermo section of the class and her teacher gave the "measure of disorder in a system" definition which I personally hate because even though it might be technically accurate, it doesn't really explain the concept. So I was trying to think of a better way to explain it to her, and I came across a definition on a website that said entropy was a measure of the energy in a system that's unavailable to do work, which didn't make sense to me. In an internal combustion engine, combustion of the fuel increases the entropy in the system and the combustion drives the cycle. Also, the integral of the T-s diagram is the heat transferred to the system, so you can't have net work without entropy, right?

Science news on Phys.org
I think it refers to how close to uniform temp a closed system is at. If a closed system is a uniform temperature, there is energy present but none of it can be used to do work, and in such a system I think entropy is at a maximum possible value for that system.

Raddy13 said:
In an internal combustion engine, combustion of the fuel increases the entropy in the system and the combustion drives the cycle.
The engine is based on a cycle, so the working substance of the engine must return to its initial state, hence be "entropy neutral." All the entropy created by the combustion (or coming from the hot reservoir) has to be dumped as heat energy in the cold reservoir. So yes, in a sense entropy corresponds to energy that can't perform work.

1. What is entropy unavailable to do work?

Entropy unavailable to do work refers to the portion of a system's total entropy that is not able to be converted into useful work. This is due to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time.

2. How is entropy unavailable to do work related to energy?

Entropy and energy are closely related, as entropy is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system, while energy is the ability to do work. The more disordered a system is, the less of its energy is available to do useful work.

3. Can entropy unavailable to do work ever be reversed?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the natural direction of entropy is to increase. This means that entropy unavailable to do work cannot be reversed, as it would go against the natural tendency of the universe to become more disordered.

4. How does entropy unavailable to do work affect the efficiency of a system?

The higher the amount of entropy unavailable to do work in a system, the lower its efficiency will be. This is because a portion of the system's energy is being lost as unusable heat, rather than being converted into useful work.

5. How can we minimize entropy unavailable to do work in a system?

While it is impossible to completely eliminate entropy unavailable to do work, it can be minimized by carefully designing and maintaining systems to reduce unnecessary energy losses. This can include using efficient processes, insulating systems to reduce heat loss, and controlling temperature and pressure gradients within a system.