Entry Level Engineering Jobs at Top Defense Companies: GPA vs School Reputation

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of getting a job as an entry level engineer at companies like Boeing, Raytheon, Lockheedmartin, and Northrop Grumman. The person is wondering if attending Cal State Fullerton will hinder their chances, and if their GPA will offset the school's reputation. It is mentioned that experience and portfolio of projects are more important than school name and GPA. The conversation also mentions the possibility of working on DoD systems at these companies and the potential lack of overtime pay and exemption from labor laws.
benEE2018
hello all, i am currently an electrical engineer at cal state fullerton and have an overall gpa of 3.5 currently a sophmore. I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it would be to get a job as an entry level engineer at say Boeing, Raytheon, Lockheedmartin, northrop grumman. these companies are my dream job and i was wondering if going to cal state fullerton will only hinder me in getting a job at one of these companies. I am pretty sure the name of your school has some weight but will my gpa offset that? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I could be wrong on this but the places you listed are not DoD. DoD jobs would be typically at naval research places and such. While the places you listed are funded mostly by the government I believe you would still be a private employee without the (GSI? pay scale).

You might want to look into it, the smart scholar ship is a pretty good gig. make some money in college with guaranteed internships and then a job at the end. You can get it for grad school as well.

benEE2018 said:
hello all, i am currently an electrical engineer at cal state fullerton and have an overall gpa of 3.5 currently a sophmore. I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it would be to get a job as an entry level engineer at say Boeing, Raytheon, Lockheedmartin, northrop grumman. these companies are my dream job and i was wondering if going to cal state fullerton will only hinder me in getting a job at one of these companies. I am pretty sure the name of your school has some weight but will my gpa offset that? thanks

You might want to give this a read, wish I'd gotten this advice earlier in my career:

http://www.quora.com/Can-I-get-a-job-at-SpaceX-after-graduating-from-a-low-ranked-engineering-program

Basically your school name might matter, but it's going to matter a lot less than your GPA and that's going to matter a lot less than your out of the class room experience. Get on design teams at your school or do research with one or more professors at your school and build a documented portfolio of projects you've built and you'll have a great resume to give to employers like the big boys you've mentioned. Oh, and the Kracken is off base, all of those companies are DoD contractors, so there's a good chance you'll be working on DoD systems while working at Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon, or Northrop.

Last edited by a moderator:
clope023 said:
You might want to give this a read, wish I'd gotten this advice earlier in my career:

http://www.quora.com/Can-I-get-a-job-at-SpaceX-after-graduating-from-a-low-ranked-engineering-program

Basically your school name might matter, but it's going to matter a lot less than your GPA and that's going to matter a lot less than your out of the class room experience. Get on design teams at your school or do research with one or more professors at your school and build a documented portfolio of projects you've built and you'll have a great resume to give to employers like the big boys you've mentioned. Oh, and the Kracken is off base, all of those companies are DoD contractors, so there's a good chance you'll be working on DoD systems while working at Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon, or Northrop.

I am not off base. I stated they were contracted. But they are not DoD jobs. Those use a different pay scale and you would be a government employee.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a government employee (GS level) who evaluates the cost and technical aspects of proposals submitted by companies like Raytheon, Lockheed, etc, so I have to cation, that if you want to work for these companies, know that you may not get overtime pay, unless it's a certain amount over. I can't remember the figure, other than that being some outlandish amount (like 50). So basically if you work for these companies, and you do overtime, you may be working for free, but only up to up to a certain amount of hours.

Also these companies, from what I read in the contracts, are always exempt from The Fair Labor Standards Act, which means you cannot legally file a compliant if you work more than 40 hours a week.

1. What types of jobs and internships are available at the Department of Defense (DoD)?

The DoD offers a wide range of job opportunities, including positions in engineering, cybersecurity, intelligence, logistics, healthcare, and more. There are also internships available in various fields for students and recent graduates.

2. How do I apply for a job or internship at the DoD?

The DoD has a centralized job application portal called USAJOBS, where all open positions are listed. You can create an account and apply for jobs directly through the website. For internships, you may need to apply through a specific program or organization within the DoD.

3. What qualifications do I need to have to work at the DoD?

The specific qualifications for DoD jobs and internships vary depending on the position and level of experience. Generally, a strong educational background, relevant skills and experience, and a security clearance are necessary for most positions. Some roles may also require US citizenship.

4. Are DoD jobs and internships open to non-US citizens?

While many DoD positions require US citizenship, there are some roles that are open to non-citizens. These positions typically require a special work visa or security clearance. It is best to check the specific job posting for eligibility requirements.

5. What is the culture like at the DoD?

The DoD is a large and diverse organization, so the culture may vary depending on the specific department or agency you work for. Generally, the DoD values teamwork, discipline, and commitment to serving the country. It also offers opportunities for professional development and a chance to work on important and impactful projects.