Environmental Science: Exploring Our Impact on Marine Life

In summary, the conversation is about the individual's interest in studying the Earth and focusing on researching and protecting the environment, particularly marine life. They have considered different programs such as Marine Biology and Earth Sciences, but have ultimately decided that Marine Biology is the best fit for their interests. They also briefly mention Environmental Science, but it seems to be less focused on marine life compared to Marine Biology. The individual thanks the expert for their input.
MFrymus
I'm interested in studying the Earth.
Its our human impact that is effecting the species, and ourselves. The way things are heading, its more extinction of animal species and ourselves.

My goal is, whichever job it may be; I want my career (Masters degree) to focus on researching & protecting the Earth and the environment. With my the focus towards the Oceans -- The living species within the oceans/water.

I've been thinking about studying Marine Biology. As that is the closest program I've come across that teaches on the things I'm interested. Thought about Earth Sciences, but its too broad, and doesn't really focus on the Marine/Ocean life as much as I would like.

What about Environmental Science?

Is this something that I might be interested in?
It includes, biology, chemistry, and geology.
It seems like it may be of interest, but HOW would I be able to focus my studies on the Marine life?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is much of a question here. Sound like you are pretty well set on Marine Biology. Don't overthink it. Enjoy!

Yeah... I meant to delete this question actually. I didn't realize that in Maine biology that yout study the same stuff as environmental sciences, but focused on the marine life.

So, yeah. It looks like Maine bio is best.

Thanks

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is environmental science?

Environmental science is a branch of science that studies the interactions between humans and the environment. It looks at how human activities impact the natural world and how the environment, in turn, affects human health and well-being.

2. Why is marine life important?

Marine life is important for many reasons. It provides a source of food, supports the global economy through industries such as fishing and tourism, and helps to regulate the Earth's climate. Marine life also plays a crucial role in maintaining biodiversity, as many species rely on the ocean for survival.

3. How do human activities impact marine life?

Human activities such as overfishing, pollution, and climate change have a significant impact on marine life. Overfishing can lead to the depletion of certain species, while pollution can harm marine animals and their habitats. Climate change can cause ocean acidification and rising sea levels, which can have devastating effects on marine ecosystems.

4. What can we do to protect marine life?

There are several actions we can take to protect marine life. These include reducing our carbon footprint to mitigate the effects of climate change, properly disposing of waste to prevent pollution, and supporting sustainable fishing practices. It is also important to educate ourselves and others about the importance of marine life and the impact of human activities on the ocean.

5. How can individuals make a difference in preserving marine life?

Individuals can make a difference in preserving marine life by making small changes in their daily lives. This can include reducing single-use plastics, supporting sustainable seafood choices, and participating in beach cleanups. Additionally, individuals can support organizations and policies that prioritize the protection of marine life and advocate for stronger environmental regulations.