Epsilon Delta Proof for 1/x

In summary: Hence we have shown that $\lim_{x\to 2} \frac{1}{x} = \frac{1}{2}$.In summary, to prove that $\lim_{x\to 2} \frac{1}{x} = \frac{1}{2}$, we use the definition of a limit to show that for a given $\epsilon > 0$, there exists a corresponding $\delta > 0$ such that for all $x$, $0 < |x - 2| < \delta$ implies $|\frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{2}| < \epsilon$. We can do this by bounding $|\frac{1}{x} - \frac{1
Dethrone
$$\lim_{{x}\to{2}}\frac{1}{x}=\frac{1}{2}$$

Here is what I have so far:

For all $\delta >0$, there exists an $x$ such that $0<|x-2|<\delta $, $|\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{2}<\epsilon$

Cut to the chase:
$$\frac{|x-2|}{|2x|}<\epsilon$$

I need to bound $\frac{1}{|2x|}$ somehow, and represent it with $M$ such that
$M|x-2|<M \delta$.

I'm having trouble finding a reasonable bound for $\delta$, I have tried $\delta<1$:

Blah blah blah:

$2<2x<6$ and $|\frac{1}{2x}|<\frac{1}{2}$.

Now we have $\frac{|x-2|}{|2x|}<\frac{|x-2|}{2}<\epsilon$, so $|x-2|<2 \epsilon$. Now let $\delta_{min}=({1, 2\epsilon})$, but I don't think this will work, any ideas? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
$$\lim_{{x}\to{2}}\frac{1}{x}=\frac{1}{2}$$

Here is what I have so far:

For all $\delta >0$, there exists an $x$ such that $0<|x-2|<\delta $, $|\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{2}<\epsilon$

Cut to the chase:
$$\frac{|x-2|}{|2x|}<\epsilon$$

I need to bound $\frac{1}{|2x|}$ somehow, and represent it with $M$ such that
$M|x-2|<M \delta$.

I'm having trouble finding a reasonable bound for $\delta$, I have tried $\delta<1$:

Blah blah blah:

$2<2x<6$ and $|\frac{1}{2x}|<\frac{1}{2}$.

Now we have $\frac{|x-2|}{|2x|}<\frac{|x-2|}{2}<\epsilon$, so $|x-2|<2 \epsilon$. Now let $\delta_{min}=({1, 2\epsilon})$, but I don't think this will work, any ideas? (Wondering)

Hi Rido12,

While you have the right idea in the last part of your post, it looks like you're getting confused with the $\epsilon-\delta$ definition of a limit. To show that $\lim_{x\to 2} \frac{1}{x} = \frac{1}{2}$, we need to prove that for a given $\epsilon > 0$, there corresponds a $\delta > 0$ such that for all $x$, $0 < |x - 2| < \delta$ implies $$|\frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{2}| < \epsilon.$$

As a preliminary analysis, we attempt to express $|\frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{2}|$ in terms of $|x - 2|$:

$$|\frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{2}| = \frac{|x - 2|}{|2x|}$$

Suppose $\delta = 1$. Then $0 < |x - 2| < \delta$ implies $1 < x < 3$ and $x \neq 2$. Thus $|2x| = 2x > 2$ and

$$|\frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{2}| < \frac{|x - 2|}{2}$$

Note that $|x - 2|/2 < \epsilon$ implies $|x - 2| < 2\epsilon$. So by choosing $\delta$ to be the smaller of the numbers $1$ and $2\epsilon$ (i.e., $\delta = \min(1, 2\epsilon)$), we are guaranteed that $|\frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{2}| < \epsilon$ whenever $0 < |x - 2| < \delta$.

What is the Epsilon Delta Proof for 1/x?

The Epsilon Delta Proof for 1/x is a mathematical method used to prove the limit of the function 1/x as x approaches a specific value. It is commonly used in calculus and real analysis to rigorously prove the behavior of functions near a given point.

Why is the Epsilon Delta Proof important?

The Epsilon Delta Proof is important because it allows for a precise and rigorous method of proving the behavior of functions near a specific point. This proof is essential in many areas of mathematics and science, such as calculus, physics, and engineering.

How does the Epsilon Delta Proof for 1/x work?

The Epsilon Delta Proof for 1/x involves finding two values, epsilon and delta, that satisfy a specific set of conditions. These values are used to show that for any value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding value of delta that ensures the function 1/x will be within epsilon units of its limit as x approaches a given point.

What are some common challenges when using the Epsilon Delta Proof for 1/x?

One common challenge when using the Epsilon Delta Proof for 1/x is finding the appropriate values for epsilon and delta that satisfy the necessary conditions. This may require a thorough understanding of the function and its behavior near the given point. Additionally, some proofs may be more complex and require multiple steps to complete.

Can the Epsilon Delta Proof be used for other functions?

Yes, the Epsilon Delta Proof can be used for other functions besides 1/x. It is a versatile method that can be applied to many different functions to prove their limits and behavior near a given point. However, the specific conditions and approach may vary depending on the function being analyzed.