Epsilon Delta Proof Piecewise function

In summary: So, for example, if $|x| < |y|$, then $|x| - |y| < 0$ and so $||x| - |y|| = |y| - |x| = -( |x| - |y|)$ which is why both are often used.
Dethrone
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130915100124AAK4JAQ

I do not understand how they got:
"1 = |(1 plus d/2 - L) - (d/2 - L)| <= |1 plus d/2 - L| plus |d/2 - L| < 1/4 plus 1/4 = 1/2, "

Shouldn't it be $|(1+ \frac{\delta}{2} -L) + (\frac{\delta}{2} -L)|$, not $|(1+ \frac{\delta}{2} -L) - (\frac{\delta}{2} -L)|$

Physics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130915100124AAK4JAQ

I do not understand how they got:
"1 = |(1 plus d/2 - L) - (d/2 - L)| <= |1 plus d/2 - L| plus |d/2 - L| < 1/4 plus 1/4 = 1/2, "

Shouldn't it be $|(1+ \frac{\delta}{2} -L) + (\frac{\delta}{2} -L)|$, not $|(1+ \frac{\delta}{2} -L) - (\frac{\delta}{2} -L)|$

No, $|(1 + \frac{\delta}{2} - L) + (\frac{\delta}{2} - L)| = |1 + \delta - 2L|$, not $1$. Adding and subtracting $\frac{d}{2} - L$ gives

\(\displaystyle 1 = 1 + (\frac{\delta}{2} - L) - (\frac{\delta}{2} - L) = (1 + \frac{\delta}{2} - L) - (\frac{\delta}{2} - L)\),

and thus

\(\displaystyle 1 = |(1 + \frac{\delta}{2} - L) - (\frac{\delta}{2} - L)|\).

I agree, but how was he able to continue with the triangle inequality?

I thought it was $|x+y| \le |x| + |y|$, so if they rewrote it as $|x-y|$, how is $|x-y|\le |x|+|y|$?

They're trying to derive a contradiction. I presume you have followed the steps they took in order to deduce $\left | \delta/2 + 1 - L \right | < 4$ from the hypothesis of having a limit?

What they did next was sheer trickery. Note that $(1 + \delta/2 - L) - (\delta/2 - L) = 1$, thus,

$$1 = \left | \left(1 + \frac{\delta}{2}-L \right) - \left ( \frac{\delta}{2} - L \right) \right | \leq \left | 1 + \frac{\delta}{2} - L \right | +\left | \frac{\delta}{2} - L \right |$$

Which follows from the triangle ineq. But then we have deduced that

$$\left | 1 + \frac{\delta}{2} - L \right | +\left | \frac{\delta}{2} - L \right | \leq \frac14 + \left | 1 + \frac{\delta}{2} - L \right | < \frac14 + \frac14 = \frac12$$

Combining the two above, $1 < 1/2$, a contradiction.

- - - Updated - - -

Rido12 said:
I agree, but how was he able to continue with the triangle inequality?

I thought it was $|x+y| \le |x| + |y|$, so if they rewrote it as $|x-y|$, how is $|x-y|\le |x|+|y|$?
$$|x-y| = |x + (-y)| \leq |x| + |-y| = |x| + |y|$$

Oh okay! It's just that my professor has another formula for $|x-y|$ that is different, but it matters not.

Suppose we want to show that the Heaviside function does not exist at $t=0$.

Heaviside function is the following:
$$H(t)=\begin{cases}1, & t\ge 0 \\[3pt] 0, & t<0 \\ \end{cases}$$

Following the same method, assume that $\epsilon = 1/2$ is imposed, such that we want to find $0<|t|<\delta$ such that $|H(t) -L|<1/2$. If we pick $t =\delta /2$ which satisfies, we have $|1-L|<1/2$, similarly picking $t=-\delta / 2$, we have $|-L|<1/2$.

By the triangle inequality, we find that:
$1=|1-L-(-L)|\le |1-L|+|L| < 1/2 + 1/2 = 1$

Contradiction because 1 is not less than 1. Is that correct? Do I have to say anything about $\delta$ = min{${\text{something}}$}?

Last edited:
That looks good to me. (Yes)

Rido12 said:
Oh okay! It's just that my professor has another formula for $|x-y|$ that is different, but it matters not.

You mean the reverse triangle inequality, $||x| - |y|| \le |x - y|$?

Exactly, but are those external absolute values necesary? My prof left it out, he said for any real numbers $x$ and $y$:
$|x-y|\ge |x|-|y|$

What I have implies your inequality, but keep in mind that $|x| - |y|$ may be negative.

What is an Epsilon Delta Proof for a Piecewise function?

An Epsilon Delta Proof for a Piecewise function is a mathematical technique used to prove the continuity of a function at a specific point. It involves choosing an arbitrary value for epsilon and finding a corresponding delta that satisfies the continuity definition for the given point.

How do you construct an Epsilon Delta Proof for a Piecewise function?

To construct an Epsilon Delta Proof for a Piecewise function, you first need to define the function and the specific point you want to prove continuity for. Then, you choose an arbitrary value for epsilon and use it to find a corresponding delta for each piece of the function. Finally, you combine the deltas for each piece to get a single delta that satisfies the continuity definition for the given point.

Why is an Epsilon Delta Proof necessary for Piecewise functions?

An Epsilon Delta Proof is necessary for Piecewise functions because they have different definitions and behaviors for different parts of the function. This makes it challenging to prove continuity using traditional methods. The Epsilon Delta Proof technique allows us to break down the function into smaller parts and prove continuity for each part separately.

What are some common mistakes made when constructing an Epsilon Delta Proof for a Piecewise function?

One common mistake is not considering all the pieces of the function and only finding a delta for one part. Another mistake is using the wrong value for epsilon or not considering all possible values for epsilon. It is also essential to check that the chosen delta satisfies the continuity definition for all parts of the function, not just one.

Can an Epsilon Delta Proof be used for functions with more than two pieces?

Yes, an Epsilon Delta Proof can be used for functions with more than two pieces. The same technique of finding a delta for each piece and combining them can be applied. However, it may be more complicated and time-consuming for functions with multiple pieces, so it is essential to approach the proof carefully and double-check all calculations.