Equation for plasma wave/light speed travel?

In summary, the conversation was about integrating a math equation into a comic book artwork depicting FTL travel. The person is looking for help since they are not good at math and considering equations such as Gedalin's alfven wave equation and the magnetosonic equation. They also mention the PBS Space Time YouTube channel as a potential resource for understanding FTL travel and physics. However, they have not received many responses and will continue to work on their own.
Scott_10438
Hi guys I'm finishing up some promo art for my original comic book. You're seein it here first. But its missing something- an appropriate equation. I would like to integrate a math equation into the art. I am attempting to depict FTL travel, using qualities similar to an LWFA, the plasma being contained within a gravitational/magnetic field. Theres a considerable amount of compressed matter moving FTL. I am also looking at quantum tunneling. Trying to settle on something that feels relative(pun) and appropriate. I admit I am horrible at math, so some educated help is appreciated. I am currently looking at Gedalin's(relativistic?) alfven wave equation, the magnetosonic equation, and a few others. It's art so its open to interpretation, as long as its not E=mc2. Einstien gets enough press. Thanks everyone.

upload_2017-5-25_14-47-20.png

Likes AidenFlamel
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't help you myself, buy this Youtube channel called PBS Space Time might help you. They have amazing videos explaining all sort of physics things and FTL travel has been a topic more than a few times. Check their playlists on Relativity and space time science to find out if they have anything useful to you

Likes Scott_10438
AidenFlamel said:
I can't help you myself, buy this Youtube channel called PBS Space Time might help you. They have amazing videos explaining all sort of physics things and FTL travel has been a topic more than a few times. Check their playlists on Relativity and space time science to find out if they have anything useful to you
Thanks for the link Aiden. Good series, and he's got a great speaking voice lol. I was hoping for some more replies but looks like I am on my own here. Onward and upward.

1. What is the equation for plasma wave/light speed travel?

The equation for plasma wave/light speed travel is c = fλ, where c is the speed of light, f is the frequency of the wave, and λ is the wavelength of the wave.

2. How does plasma wave/light speed travel work?

Plasma wave/light speed travel works by using plasma, which is an ionized gas, to create a wave that can propel a spacecraft at near-light speeds. The spacecraft is surrounded by a plasma field, and the waves generated by this field push against the surrounding plasma in order to accelerate the spacecraft.

3. What are the advantages of using plasma wave/light speed travel?

The main advantage of using plasma wave/light speed travel is that it allows for extremely fast speeds, potentially reaching close to the speed of light. This can significantly reduce travel time and make long-distance space travel more feasible. Additionally, plasma is a relatively common and abundant substance, making it a potentially more sustainable and cost-effective method of propulsion compared to traditional rocket fuel.

4. What are the challenges of implementing plasma wave/light speed travel?

One of the main challenges of implementing plasma wave/light speed travel is the amount of energy required to generate and maintain the plasma field. This energy demand would require advanced and efficient power sources. Additionally, the spacecraft would need to be designed to withstand the extreme temperatures and forces generated by the plasma field. Another challenge is the potential impact of the plasma field on the surrounding environment and any potential interference with other spacecraft or communication systems.

5. Is plasma wave/light speed travel currently being used for space travel?

While there have been experiments and research conducted on plasma wave/light speed travel, it is not currently being used for space travel on a large scale. However, with advancements in technology and further research, it may become a viable method of propulsion in the future.