Equation of a plane perpendicular to another plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find the equation of a plane through a given line, perpendicular to another given plane. The individual is seeking guidance on how to find a perpendicular line or vector and is directed to review sections on equations of lines and planes in their book. The conversation is then closed due to lack of effort on the individual's part.
Josie Jones
Hi, I am really stuck! I need to find the equation of the plane through the line x=2y=3z perpendicular to the plan 5x+4y-3z=8. Can anyone give me any pointers of where to start with this? Not expecting a full solution, just an idea of where to start.

THanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved this thread to our homework section. Can you find a line (or just a vector) that is perpendicular to the second plane? What do you know about that line (or vector) relative to one of the planes you are looking for?

mfb, thanks for moving the thread.

I don't know how to find a perpendicular line or vector. I think it is a normal vector, but I have not been shown how to do this. I found this question in a book and am unsure how to proceed.

thanks for your reply

Josie Jones said:
Hi, I am really stuck! I need to find the equation of the plane through the line x=2y=3z perpendicular to the plan 5x+4y-3z=8.

Josie Jones said:
I don't know how to find a perpendicular line or vector. I think it is a normal vector, but I have not been shown how to do this. I found this question in a book and am unsure how to proceed.
If the book was a textbook on analytic geometry it should have sections on the equations of lines and planes in space, and how to determine the orientation of these objects.

Given the equation of a plane in standard form, Ax + By + Cz = D, it is very simple to find a normal to the plane. It's also straightforward to find a vector in the direction of a line.

Since you haven't made much of an effort, which is required for homework posts, I am closing this thread. Please go back and do some digging in your book. Another resource is this wikipedia article on planes -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(geometry). I'm sure they also have an article on lines in space.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the equation of a plane perpendicular to another plane?

The equation of a plane perpendicular to another plane can be found by taking the cross product of the normal vectors of the two planes. The resulting vector will be the normal vector of the new plane, and the equation can be written in the form ax + by + cz = d, where a, b, and c are the components of the normal vector.

2. How do you determine if two planes are perpendicular?

Two planes are perpendicular if their normal vectors are perpendicular, meaning their dot product is equal to 0. This can also be checked by finding the angle between the normal vectors, which should be 90 degrees.

3. Can two planes have the same equation and still be perpendicular?

No, two planes cannot have the same equation and be perpendicular. This is because the normal vectors of the planes would be parallel, meaning their dot product would not be equal to 0.

4. Is it possible for a line to be perpendicular to a plane?

Yes, it is possible for a line to be perpendicular to a plane. This occurs when the line is parallel to the normal vector of the plane, meaning their dot product is equal to 0.

5. How many different planes can be perpendicular to a given plane?

There are infinitely many planes that can be perpendicular to a given plane. This is because the normal vector of the given plane can be multiplied by any scalar value to create a new normal vector, and therefore a new plane.