Equation of the tangent line in the direction of a vector

In summary, the person is having difficulty understanding how to find the tangent line to a surface defined by a given function at a specific point in the direction of a given vector. They are unsure if they need to find the gradient vector of the equation, and the question itself is unclear about what is being asked. The suggested method is to find the curved line that is the intersection between the surface and a vertical plane, and then find the tangent to that line at the given point.
alex steve
I am having issues figuring out how to do the "in the direction of the vector" part of my problem

I have found the equation of the tangent line but i do not know how to the the next part.

My question asks:

Find the equation of the tangent line to the surface defined by the function f(x,y) = x + e^(xy) at point (2,-1) in the direction of the vector u = <1,-2>

Would i have to figure out the gradient vector of my equation that i find?

Physics news on Phys.org
The phrasing of the question is a little obscure, because the vector u is a 2D vector in a plane that is not tangent to the surface.
I think what they mean is that they want the equation of the tangent line to the surface whose projection on the x-y plane is the vector u. Or, what amounts to the same thing, the projection of u on the tangent plane to the surface at the given point.

One way to do that is to find the curved line that is the intersection between the surface and the vertical plane with equation y=-2x. Then find the tangent to that line at the given point.

There may well be a quicker way, but that's all that occurs to me right now.

1. What is the equation of the tangent line in the direction of a vector?

The equation of the tangent line in the direction of a vector is a mathematical expression that represents the slope and position of a line tangent to a curve at a specific point, in the direction of a given vector.

2. How is the equation of the tangent line in the direction of a vector calculated?

The equation of the tangent line in the direction of a vector is calculated using the derivative of the function at the point of tangency and the direction vector. The derivative represents the slope of the tangent line, while the direction vector determines the direction in which the line is tangent to the curve.

3. What is the significance of the equation of the tangent line in the direction of a vector in mathematics?

The equation of the tangent line in the direction of a vector is an important concept in calculus and differential geometry. It allows us to determine the rate of change of a function at a specific point, and also provides information about the direction of the function at that point.

4. Can the equation of the tangent line in the direction of a vector be used to find the slope of a curve at a point?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line in the direction of a vector can be used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. The slope is represented by the derivative of the function at that point, which is a key component in the equation of the tangent line.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the equation of the tangent line in the direction of a vector?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line in the direction of a vector has various applications in real-world problems, such as optimization and physics. It can be used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function, as well as to determine the direction of a moving object at a given point in time.