Equations of motion the conditions

In summary: He said nothing about relativity but he didn't specifically asked to ignore it.I think that my answer was valid considering how the question was formulated. Anyway feel free to delete all posts up to the op since I see this thread got... complicated.
jeekeshen
Equations of motion! the conditions pleasezz

What are the conditions that enable the equations of motion to be used except from the fact that acceleration must be uniform ?

Physics news on Phys.org

jeekeshen said:
What are the conditions that enable the equations of motion to be used except from the fact that acceleration must be uniform ?

Small velocities compared to the speed of light and an inertial frame.

Inertial frame ? meaning wat ?

Not rotating

Uniform acceleration compensate the rotating phenomenon as well i think !

jeekeshen said:
Uniform acceleration compensate the rotating phenomenon as well i think !

If you sit in a train traveling at steady speed (inertial frame) and toss a ball to a friend he can catch it - no problem.

If you both are on a ship in a storm, wildly, suddenly changing direction OR you both sit on a children's 'roundabout' while it's spinning (both non-inertial frames) you will find it nearly impossible. The laws of motion for the non-inertial frame will be different from those you are used to.

You may be able to compensate by adding in some complicated motion of your own - but that isn't the point.

@OP:

I think you meant to ask about initial conditions. You still need to know the initial position and the initial velocity of the particle.

ya that's wat i meant the initial conditions :S.. just like acceleration should be uniform, many questions ask too but the other one that speed must be less than speed of light is too obvious else the matter will disintegrate :S

jeekeshen said:
many questions ask too but the other one that speed must be less than speed of light is too obvious else the matter will disintegrate :S

No,what I meant is that the velocity of the object must be significantly smaller then the velocity of light for the Newtonian equations of motion to work. At velocities that are a significant fraction of c, those equations do not work due to relativistic effects.There is also no reason for matter to disintegrate at speeds close to c.

Last edited:

Dickfore said:
I think you meant to ask about initial conditions.
No he didn't (now he thinks he does!) He barely speaks English - doesn't understand what you mean - you just confused him.

AJ Bentley said:
No he didn't (now he thinks he does!) He barely speaks English - doesn't understand what you mean - you just confused him.

Lol, I confused him and not you with talks about non-inertial reference frames and speed of light.

Dickfore said:
with talks about non-inertial reference frames and speed of light.
Look to see who's saying what before you post. I never mentioned either except to explain in detail what a non-inertial frame is.

Dickfore said:
Lol, I confused him and not you with talks about non-inertial reference frames and speed of light.

:smile:
I am sorry If I confused him. I consider that position and velocity are info necessary to using the equations not something that restrains their validity.That is what I thought he was asking.

AJ Bentley said:
Look to see who's saying what before you post. I never mentioned either except to explain in detail what a non-inertial frame is.
Yeah blame poor old bp.

AJ Bentley said:

Who asked you to explain anything? You assumed that this is the question he was asking and proceeded with your own answer. This is the same thing I did. So, please, don't tell me what he meant or he didn't mean.

Dickfore said:
You assumed that this is the question he was asking

And I quote. From the OP.

To which I answered 'not rotating'

Simple question and direct answer.

AJ Bentley said:
And I quote. From the OP.

To which I answered 'not rotating'

Simple question and direct answer.

Do you mean the original poster or the original post when you say OP? It is obvious he was confused as hell by that point so he used 'wat'.

Also, your answer is not correct, but that's not the topic of discussion in this thread

But he only asked that in response to bp-psy's response
"Small velocities compared to the speed of light and an inertial frame."
to a question that asked only about the "equations of motion" and said nothing about relativity.

HallsofIvy said:
But he only asked that in response to bp-psy's response
"Small velocities compared to the speed of light and an inertial frame."
to a question that asked only about the "equations of motion" and said nothing about relativity.
He said nothing about relativity but he didn't specifically asked to ignore it.I think that my answer was valid considering how the question was formulated. Anyway feel free to delete all posts up to the op since I see this thread got ugly.

Jeekeshan let me try to summarise.There are equations of linear motion and also equations of circular motion.The two sets of equations are analogous.I am assuming that you are referring to linear motion.The conditions necessary to use these equations is that the object must be moving in a straight line with uniform acceleration but I think you already know this.The equations break down as light speeds are approached so this places some limitations on their use.With equations of linear motion there are five quantities which are relevant and these are often given the symbols u,v,a,t and s.The symbols you use may be different.In order to solve a problem you need to be given three of the five quantities.Strangely,identifying what three quantities are given sometimes proves to be the most difficult part of the problem.First you need to identify the given quantities then select the right equation(s) to find the unknown(s) and then plug the numbers in.

Yes I've understood that but in some questions they ask conditions for the application of these equations of motion. I know the fact of the speed of light and that of uniform acceleration but i wanted some more that appears to seem more general.

Related to Equations of motion the conditions

1. What are the three equations of motion?

The three equations of motion are the equations that describe the relationship between an object's position, velocity, acceleration, and time. They are:
1. v = u + at (equation for final velocity)
2. s = ut + 1/2at^2 (equation for displacement)
3. v^2 = u^2 + 2as (equation for final velocity squared)

2. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while acceleration is a scalar quantity, only having magnitude.

3. How do you determine the conditions of motion?

The conditions of motion are determined by looking at the forces acting on an object. If there are no net forces acting on an object, it will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity (Newton's First Law). If there is a net force, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force (Newton's Second Law). The type of motion (constant velocity, accelerating, decelerating) can also be determined by looking at the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time.

4. Can the equations of motion be used for objects moving in a curved path?

No, the equations of motion are only applicable to objects moving in a straight line. For objects moving in a curved path, other equations and principles, such as those from circular motion and centripetal force, must be used to describe the object's motion.

5. How do you use the equations of motion to solve problems?

To solve problems using the equations of motion, you must first identify what is known and what is unknown. Then, select the appropriate equation(s) to use based on the known variables and rearrange the equation to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use consistent units throughout the problem. Finally, plug in the known values and solve for the unknown variable.